PDA

View Full Version : Any New Rumors About ESPNZone Replacing Disney Quest?

big blue and hairy
04-12-2007, 04:42 PM
I know this was discussed a lot a few months ago. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything new about it....

:sulley:

JPL
04-12-2007, 04:47 PM
While I haven't heard anything new. I think it is still a strong possibility.

CJR
04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't see it happening. With WDW already having ESPN Club and the fact that a five story ESPN Zone is a little big. Now that's not to say an ESPN Zone can't go elsewhere in the DTD area. Also, I've heard a new restaurant is coming to Disney Quest so I don't see them closing it any time soon.

WDWfanatic742
04-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Nobody ever said that it has to stay the way it is now with 5 stories. I could think of a couple ideas that it could easily take up 2 or 3 stories. While DisneyQuest is fun, after the first visit it's no more than a huge arcade with a few virtual games/rides.

dandersonjr
04-13-2007, 11:17 AM
It seems like everyone is considering shutting down DisneyQuest, which is a shame. I think that Disney has a great idea there, and this facility was fantastic when it first opened so many years ago. However, as with everything that involves computers and technology, DisneyQuest became dated very quickly.

My son and I went last summer, and had a great time. However, the rides and games, from small to large, seemed sophomoric. I just finished playing Jade Empire for the PC, and it had better graphics than anything I saw at DisneyQuest.

Not that my suggestions will have any impact or bearing on what Disney will do with the building, but I would think a partnership with someone to update the attractions would be a boon. Microsoft is looking to push the 'Games For Windows' platform, so talk to them. I know Microsoft is in bed with NBC, and Disney is ABC, but maybe something can be worked out. (Probably not.) A partnership with Sony (Playstation III) would work as well.

Image what DisneyQuest COULD be like, with the best graphics, highly interactive attractions, the latest in computer or console gaming to play with to your heart's content. It would be easier to update games for computers and consoles as well, instead of having those tired old arcade machines in there.

Just a thought.

Jeany031
04-14-2007, 03:07 PM
I love DisneyQuest.

dopeydude
04-15-2007, 12:41 PM
I would not be disappointed at all.
I love the ESPN zone on the board walk. In all the years that I've been to disney, I have never heard of Disney quest.

Olga
05-10-2007, 09:02 AM
It seems like everyone is considering shutting down DisneyQuest, which is a shame. I think that Disney has a great idea there, and this facility was fantastic when it first opened so many years ago. However, as with everything that involves computers and technology, DisneyQuest became dated very quickly.

My son and I went last summer, and had a great time. However, the rides and games, from small to large, seemed sophomoric. I just finished playing Jade Empire for the PC, and it had better graphics than anything I saw at DisneyQuest.

Not that my suggestions will have any impact or bearing on what Disney will do with the building, but I would think a partnership with someone to update the attractions would be a boon. Microsoft is looking to push the 'Games For Windows' platform, so talk to them. I know Microsoft is in bed with NBC, and Disney is ABC, but maybe something can be worked out. (Probably not.) A partnership with Sony (Playstation III) would work as well.

Image what DisneyQuest COULD be like, with the best graphics, highly interactive attractions, the latest in computer or console gaming to play with to your heart's content. It would be easier to update games for computers and consoles as well, instead of having those tired old arcade machines in there.

Just a thought.

Agree. Seven years ago we really enjoyed DisneyQuest - it was something special. But last October we were absolutely disappointed.

iceicebritney
05-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Disney Quest is Stupid. It was out of date the year after it opened. Just like Innoventions, there not keeping up with the technology. You can visit it once, but that's it. With the amount of {junk} they have in there, they shouldn't be charging you to go in... I'll tell ya what - i'll let you all know when my next vacation is, and you if your down there at the same time, you can come to my hotel room and play PS3 and 360... i'll charge you half the price to get in disney quest!

When you have an arcade, you need to constantly be updating games, looking for the newest systems to install, etc.

ESPN Zone or SEGA WORLD or SOMETHING SIMLIAR would be a great addition... and if they did do that at DTD, there'd be no need to remove the one at Boardwalk because it is a RESTAURANT, not an arcade. We go there to drink, watch the games, and eat... it is NOT an arcade.

celebrationasheley
05-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Chicago's went out of business many years ago. Sad to say I went on closing night, everything was half price, and the attendance was very low. I am surprised to pass DTD and see so many people at that one. But I imagine they get awesome attendance every day.

MarkC
05-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Maybe my memory is bad, but I thought Disney officially announced that DQ would close in a year or so and be replaced by an ESPN Zone. Am I imagining that? I think this is more than just a rumor.

Figment!
05-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Maybe my memory is bad, but I thought Disney officially announced that DQ would close in a year or so and be replaced by an ESPN Zone. Quite the opposite.
On April 28th, 2006, Walt Disney World Resort Vice President for Downtown Disney (Djuan Rivers) made a formal statement that the rumours of closing Disney Quest are baseless and furthered that "the company just invested millions of dollars the past year in a major upgrade of everything from software to carpeting in the 100,000-square-foot virtual theme park."

Am I imagining that?No, I think you are recalling a "report" filed by a self-proclaimed "Disney blogger". After an apparent influx of questions to the company, Mr. Rivers made the above statments as a reaction to the article.

MarkC
05-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for correcting me. See, the problem is at age 47 I only have room in my brain for really important stuff, i.e. where did I leave my car keys?

WEDTOPIA
05-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here ,but Disney Quest is definately not just arcade games. Apparently ,some people have access to some unknown future technology that Disney is unaware of. In which case ,maybe y'all should clue them in to it. I don't know how they didn't hear about this.

Seriously , are any other companies building high-tech playgrounds like DQ ? Why is there such a great need to tear it down ? So we can have a super high tech........sports bar ? Is that progress ?

I once again defer to a previous release ,which was reiterrated by Figment. Disney spent a few million last year on DQ.. they aren't going to raze it....

:mickey:

big blue and hairy
05-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Actually, the biggest problem with Disney Quest is that is no longer the original concept. I am not commenting on anything actually inside DQ, since I have not been there. What I'm talking about is the fact that DQ was to be one of many around the country. For whatever reason this didn't work. What you now have is one place that if you continously update and upgrade the attractions, costs more with less money coming back. That, I beleive is what will be the eventual undoing of Disney Quest.

There are now several ESPN Zones, so updating sports games is more efficient.

:sulley: