PDA

View Full Version : The Maelstrom rehab, what would you do?

Darin M
04-12-2007, 10:29 AM
The Maelstrom is being refurbished 4/30 - 5/24. Just wondering what creative ideas some of you guys and gals have for this classic attraction.
This thread hit me while thinking of the Gran Fiesta Tour.

Personally, I love this attraction. If i could change it, I would...
1. Update some of the animatronics.
2. Change the ride carts to look more like small viking ships.
3. Maybe add some 3-D enemy ships (in the background, projected on a screen) that shoot 3-D cannonballs at you, making your ship shake.
4. Use a classic character to journey around with. Goofy goes on vacation, and before boarding his cruise ship, he somehow gets on the wrong boat (viking ship) and travels to Ancient Norway and goes through some crazy adventures.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but the possibilities are endless. Let me know some of your ideas and opinions.

magicman
04-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Personally, I love this attraction. If i could change it, I would...
3. Maybe add some 3-D enemy ships (in the background, projected on a screen) that shoot 3-D cannonballs at you, making your ship shake.
4. Use a classic character to journey around with. Goofy goes on vacation, and before boarding his cruise ship, he somehow gets on the wrong boat (viking ship) and travels to Ancient Norway and goes through some crazy adventures.

The above ideas are very innovative & fun.

My idea (although less exotic) would be to take you into an extremely dark, extremely cold, star lit room & have a simulation of the northern lights appear.

Donald A
04-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I would leave it like it is (though your suggestions would be fine as long as they left Disney characters out of it). Just add some paint and change some parts as needed. Hopefully there will not be cartoon Mickey characters with viking helmets but after what they did to Mexico I am wondering.

I do think they could put more seating at the end of the ride as you wait to go in to see the tourism movie. (I always skip through that though). Finally, the pre-boarding waiting area could be "jazzed up." Right now it is just a simple line that can get boring. Instead of putting the movie at the end, why not show it at the beginning (people like me skip it anyway so you could "make" me watch it) Make it a waiting area like the great movie ride with the movie to watch or just use several TV monitors.

Figgyluv03
04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Make the whole ride backwards!!!! Ha ha, I love those kind of rides!!!

jclightchasr
04-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I agree with the Northern Lights room and the waiting area could definately be improved. Maybe with inflight footage over Norway. The fijords would be awesome and the wait would seem shorter. The ride is good and I like it the way it is. Oh and by the way there aren't any ride carts they are boats.

DisneyTeen
04-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Find a way that you can just walk out of the ride once its done. Waiting for 15 minutes in a small area with no sitting just so doors can open and you walk through the theater is a waste of time IMO. (sorry to anyone who likes this movie, one viewing is enough, not going to watch it every time I ride)

Donald A
04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Find a way that you can just walk out of the ride once its done. Waiting for 15 minutes in a small area with no sitting just so doors can open and you walk through the theater is a waste of time IMO. (sorry to anyone who likes this movie, one viewing is enough, not going to watch it every time I ride)

I agree, that is why I suggest they show it at the beginning while waiting to board your viking ship.

bleukarma
04-12-2007, 03:08 PM
I agree with putting the movie at the begining so we have something to watch while we're waiting. I just hope they don't get rid of the mural with the hidden mickey in it! I always liked that mural.

And a northern lights room would be really cool!

thrillme
04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Maybe a little frosty coldness with some little snowflakes falling.

EvilQueen2006
04-12-2007, 06:29 PM
All great ideas. I would say update the movie, put it at the beginning, put some of the gift shops in that beautiful little village area where you get off the boat, and make the queue more interesting.

poeticeclipse
04-12-2007, 06:33 PM
I can never understand what the "allmighty voice" is saying or any of the animatronics. They need to make it louder. Normally, every DIsney attraction is too loud... but not this one.

I would also find a way to make it longer. It just goes by too fast.

Other than that, it's great the way it is. I'd be VERY upset if they added a Disney character. Not EVERYTHING has to be "Disney" themed. The fact that it's an amazing ride by imagineers makes it plenty Disney enough without character overkill.

Crow
04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
update the movie
another exit area
having a Norwegian woman ride w you in the boat:cool:

alpro2
04-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Actually have the boat fall down backwards down the falls. :thumbsup:

poeticeclipse
04-12-2007, 09:43 PM
a boat full of cute Norwegian boys!!!! haha.
-hey! I let my fiance gawk at the girls.

cetacean01
04-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Personally, I really do NOT like Maelstrom. So my big fix would be to tear it down and start anew!

Kairi_7378
04-15-2007, 10:12 PM
I wasn't a big fan of this ride either... I think it may be because I was EXHAUSTED from walking all over the park all day and not sitting enough. I agree that the cue area could be much more interesting. A movie would be an improvement.
I also agree that they shouldn't put any Characters in this ride!!! There really isn't an appropriate way to incorporate them.

Goes4FastPass
04-16-2007, 02:56 PM
unnecessary
They're boats and they look as much like Vikings Ships as practical.
3. Maybe add some 3-D enemy ships (in the background, projected on a screen) The Viking Ships predated canons.
No. No, no. Really no. The troll is Norwegian, Goofy is Californian.

CraniumCommando
04-16-2007, 03:05 PM
My only complaint about the Maelstrom is that it's too short! So, make it longer if you can, but don't change it.

I do like the idea of showing the movie while you wait in line. :thumbsup:

Bethanymouse
04-16-2007, 04:45 PM
I like the idea of the movie being shown as you are waiting and I also like the idea of shops being placed in the village area after exiting the ride......I do love this ride though!

TTA Metroliner
04-16-2007, 05:14 PM
I would make the ride longer and take out the movie. Everytime we ride it people gripe casue they can't exit till the theater doors open and then they walk straight through the movie and out the door.

ghost999
04-16-2007, 09:11 PM
maybe if the drop was longer, have the polar bear look like it was going to come down on you like the yeti and have the water cannons shoot higher up and maybe get a little bit wetter.:mickey:

SpecJoe Magic
04-17-2007, 02:11 AM
I don't know if it's possible due to the size of the ride building, but I would like to see a much longer and more developed attraction. It's decent the way that it is right now, but it could be one of Epcot's best if given the proper treatment.

Also, I wish that they would create another exit route for those that don't want to view the film.

Marceline
04-17-2007, 02:45 AM
So far it sounds like a no-brainer....rip out the old movie theater at the end and use the space to extend the ride, add some more thrill elements and snowflakes and northern lighting. :thumbsup:

Then put the movie about Norway on screens scattered around the line at the beginning and let us leave at the end....please....we'll even walk through a larger gift shop for all the hard work, might even buy a thing or two. :)

Grizz16
04-17-2007, 07:14 AM
new post-ride movie, but no characters added to the ride

texasteacher
07-23-2007, 11:53 PM
colder
snowflakes falling do
a storm that would swirl the boat around a little
drops and climbs

RAIDER
07-24-2007, 03:58 AM
The polar bear needs to be changed ..it looks rather moth eaten :thumbsup:

JabberJaws
07-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I really like the Maelstrom and, for the most part, would leave it like it is. I hope that they do not try and "characterfy" this attraction like they did ERDT (though I think in that case it was the right move) because that would take away from the overall feel.

If I would change anything, I would...

update the animatronics, especially the viking scenes early on and the polar bears
update the waterfall scene. With today's technology, you could set it up so that your boat actually extended slightly beyond the waterfall and physically began tilting backwards. Then at the last moment, the troll straightens you up and pulls you forward
add some more effects to the first troll scene such as adding fog to the area and a burst of fog when the spell is cast.

NJRRK
07-24-2007, 12:46 PM
having a Norwegian woman ride w you in the boat:cool:

I do this every time. My wife.:blush:

wedway76
07-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Instead of putting the movie at the end, why not show it at the beginning (people like me skip it anyway so you could "make" me watch it) Make it a waiting area like the great movie ride with the movie to watch or just use several TV monitors.

Genius!!!!

I never though about that but I agree 100%. Now that you say it, it seems sooooo simple! PUT THE MOVIE AT THE BEGINNING!

One thing that I always thought was odd about this ride is that you are going backwards when your boat pokes out of the front of the building, and unless you are looking over your shoulder, you don’t even realize that. If you are facing forward it would appear like you are about to fall into the Norway street.

mickey-mouse35
07-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Noticed this thread originally started back in April because of planned refurb--anyone know if they actually did some changes to the ride?

GhostHost999
07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
maybe it's me but this ride always seemed kinda short to me. Like it needs one more area to really beef it up a bit. I liked the Northern Lights idea. Or...let's not forget...the Kraken was originally a Norwegian creation. :thedolls:

Buzz_Burbank
07-25-2007, 05:12 AM
NO CHARATERS!!!! Enough said there.

A new movie (decidedly longer that the current five minute one) would be a definite improvement. Either putting it at the beginning of the boat ride or making it a separate attraction from the ride would be an improvement. Barring that, create an exit that doesn't require you to wait for the movie. Finally, build an exit that doesn't force you to go through 100 yards of junk shop. The sickening perfume smell at the end of the junk shop makes me want to :ack:

animalkingdomguy
07-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I would make only one change. Please make a bypass for the movie which makes guests pass through the theatre. I have little ones with short attention spans. I feel guilty walking through the theatre like some ugly American presumedly uninterested in the Norway cultural film.

mttafire
07-25-2007, 11:59 PM
The above ideas are very innovative & fun.

My idea (although less exotic) would be to take you into an extremely dark, extremely cold, star lit room & have a simulation of the northern lights appear. I kinda like that..:mickey:

snifflesmcg
07-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Instead of putting the movie at the end, why not show it at the beginning (people like me skip it anyway so you could "make" me watch it) Make it a waiting area like the great movie ride with the movie to watch or just use several TV monitors.

Maybe a little frosty coldness with some little snowflakes falling.

All great ideas. I would say update the movie, put it at the beginning, put some of the gift shops in that beautiful little village area where you get off the boat, and make the queue more interesting.

:exactly: You guys should be imagineers cause these ideas rock!!

Personally, I really do NOT like Maelstrom. So my big fix would be to tear it down and start anew!

:sob: That breaks my heart.

Toad
07-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Updates that Disney should make:

Replace all vikings and viking ships with Captain Jack Sparrow and the Black Pearl pirate ship

Replace the trolls with Winnie the Pooh and an army of Ewoks

Replace the polar bear with a Michael Eisner animatronic

Replace the oil rig at the end with Catastrophe Canyon

Add new scenes featuring Hannah Montana and the cast from High School Musical

Also at some point, the ride should go underwater where guests will see Nemo and his friends swimming past remnants of the former Maelstrom attraction

PeterPanFan
07-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Sorry a little lost on this one.

Did the rehab happen or is going to happen next year?

SBETigg
07-26-2007, 09:24 AM
I can never understand what the "allmighty voice" is saying or any of the animatronics. They need to make it louder. Normally, every DIsney attraction is too loud... but not this one.

I would also find a way to make it longer. It just goes by too fast.

Other than that, it's great the way it is. I'd be VERY upset if they added a Disney character. Not EVERYTHING has to be "Disney" themed. The fact that it's an amazing ride by imagineers makes it plenty Disney enough without character overkill.

Stacey said it all. Thanks, Stacey!

Polynesian Dweller
07-26-2007, 09:37 AM
For me the biggest problem is at the ride's end. That waiting area either needs to be improved with some seating or give an alternate exit if you don't want to see the film. The film is interesting (needs an update, of course) but I don't need to see it after every ride.

Also agree about the entrance queue needing to be made more interesting but please don't lose that great mural.

Stu29573
07-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Well, let me see,
The ride does need to be longer. Adding a northern lights segment would help in this.
The effects need to be updated. Not over the top, but just a bit more real.
Maybe have turbulence in the storm scenes- splashing waves, etc....
Maybe have the film at the end in 3D, so it would be more interesting and "immersive."
OR maybe have a restaurant at the end that you can only get to by going through the ride...that would be fun

Camaro305
07-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Sorry a little lost on this one.

Did the rehab happen or is going to happen next year?

Count me in on the "lost" factor. Is this rehab done?

jszczur5
07-26-2007, 03:36 PM
I do think they could put more seating at the end of the ride as you wait to go in to see the tourism movie. (I always skip through that though). Finally, the pre-boarding waiting area could be "jazzed up." Right now it is just a simple line that can get boring. Instead of putting the movie at the end, why not show it at the beginning (people like me skip it anyway so you could "make" me watch it) Make it a waiting area like the great movie ride with the movie to watch or just use several TV monitors.

I couldn't agree more. Play the movie in the boarding queue area, which is sooooo boring, and take it off the end of the ride, where most people walk right through it if they have seen it even once.