PDA

View Full Version : Ontario to Disney???

TFrauts
04-12-2007, 03:57 AM
Hi everyone...
We will be drivingfrom Ontario, Canada to Disney, for the first time in late July, for our honeymoon. We were wondering if anyone else has done this, and if there are any tips, 'amazing' stops/places to see, any ideas, or places to watch out for/avoid?? We are hoping to drive straight through...are there any short cuts etc???
Thanks or your help!

Tyson The Lab
04-12-2007, 09:59 PM
the shortest route I've seen so far is to cross at Ft Erie, then to Erie, PA. Go south past pittsburg there is a short cut where you go through summersville Virginia I think? not positive on the state, but the town is right. Then go south through NC and SC then keep going south. Good luck driving straight through, it isn't as easy as you think. Even with 2 drivers.

scooterca42
04-13-2007, 12:20 PM
DH and I did it in 1995 - a while ago, but we found a couple of tips useful.

Join CAA and get a triptik! These flag speed traps, current construction and restaurants and hotels.

We swapped out driving - two hours on and two hours off - started at 6 am and went through to 9:30 PM the first day. Started looking for a hotel at 9. It worked out really well and we weren't too wiped by the time we got there.

Keep water available and drink it. And pick up a thermos for coffee - you get out of Timmy country fairly quickly but Dunkin Donuts coffee is excellent.

Enjoy yourself, it's a nice trip. If you see any Dinner Bell restaurants they're good barbecue.

Have fun!

Mickey'sGirl
04-13-2007, 01:10 PM
We're in Toronto, and make the drive about once per year (twice last year). Once we took the I-95 -- but it took longer and the trucks in VA just about gave me a heart attack! We take the I-75. We have two sons, so have never driven straight through -- though we are quite aggressive in our driving. The drive from Toronto to Orlando can be broken into 3 8hour sections. Toronto to Cincinnati Cincinnati to Atlanta and Atlanta to Orlando. We typically break the drive up into 2/3 then 1/3. That is a really long drive (about 16 hours) the first day from Toronto to the far side of Atlanta -- and then it is a short 8 hour day the next day.

I recommend getting the book "Along the I-75". A new version comes out each year, and it maps the route along the I-75 from Windsor/Detroit all the way down to the GA/FL border -- mile by mile. It has history, points of interest, all the hotels, eateries and gas stations at EACH exit. It is a tremendously helpful resource.

Have a great trip, and congratulations! :mickey:

TFrauts
04-18-2007, 03:34 AM
yes...I agree...it is probably wishful thinking...we are going to leave at about 5am and drive until we can't drive anymore!! We woud like to drive straight through, but if we have to stop(hopefully around midnight) we will, and sleep for eight hours, and still be to our resort early afternoon...I think we will be able to drive a lot the first day because we will be sooo excited to get there! On the way home will be another story!! LOL
Thanks again!!
We just joined CAA...thanks for that tip!!

Tyson The Lab
04-20-2007, 10:34 PM
I used to drive long haul through the states. Here is a tip: Try and stop for a quick washroom as little as possible. It seems like an obvious tip, but most people don't realize that even a quick 5 min stop actually gets you to your destination about 30 mins later than if you didn't stop. Obviously you will have to make stops though, try and kill two birds with one stone though and get gas at the same time as stopping for a washroom break, or grab food etc.

MsMin
04-21-2007, 04:59 PM
I used to drive long haul through the states. Here is a tip: Try and stop for a quick washroom as little as possible. It seems like an obvious tip, but most people don't realize that even a quick 5 min stop actually gets you to your destination about 30 mins later than if you didn't stop. Obviously you will have to make stops though, try and kill two birds with one stone though and get gas at the same time as stopping for a washroom break, or grab food etc.
We don't have 1/2 that far and we only stop once for gas and potty-- you can't drink too much!:blush: We pack sandwiches and snacks too. Every time you get off the hwy it's a good 20-30 mins for a quick stop. Do rest when you get tired-- maybe even plan it. Remember you don't want to get there exhausted, then sleep for two days when you get there. Everyone gets tired and grumpy and that's not fun.
Have a wonderful time.