PDA

View Full Version : Rate the California Grill...

Kristi Kay
04-12-2007, 01:36 AM
I'm wanting to take my family to the California Grill, but I just looked at their menu and prices...it's pretty expensive and I want to know if the food/atmosphere/over all experience is good enough to take my family there. My dad will be paying and I hate to suggest a place that just turns out to be average and him have to fork over a ton of cash for that...

ElenitaB
04-12-2007, 02:01 AM
The CG is anything but ordinary... we find the atmosphere and the food to be memorable. While we haven't been in a few years, I've had both vacation and business dinners there and all were top-notch.

SpecJoe Magic
04-12-2007, 02:25 AM
DW's mom and sister made reservations for us at California Grill for June 2006 and provided us with money to pay for it in honor of DW's degree from graduate school and birthday. We would likely never have eaten there of our own accord because we don't want to pay such high prices for food.

There is no doubt that the view was spectacular, and the atmosphere was very nice. The food was also delicious. Plus, if you time the reservations right, you can watch Wishes from the observation deck that is located just outside the restaurant or from your table if you are fortunate enough to get seated at a table that is in a good viewing location.

That said, I don't think the experience is worth the cost. DW and I spent about $125, and we didn't even order from every course that was available. It was a unique and fun experience, but it's something that we don't have the desire to do again. There are plenty of WDW restaurants that have comparable food and atmosphere at cheaper prices.

Natazu
04-12-2007, 04:05 AM
One would be hard pressed to find a better restaurant in all of Florida. I absolutely think it's worth the money. Truth is, for the level of quality, the price is about right.

Jym's California Grill Reviews:
May 06 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=71042)
October 06 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=87936)

SurferStitch
04-12-2007, 06:28 AM
I totally agree with Jym. Even before DH and I did the DDP (and had a DDE card for a while), we forked over the full cost to dine at Cali Grill on every trip. Food , service and atmosphere are all worth the cost to us.

pox24
04-12-2007, 09:22 AM
If you don't enjoy thr CG something is wrong. It is definitely five forks. Don't miss any opportunity to eat there.:thumbsup:

c&d
04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Plus, if you time the reservations right, you can watch Wishes from the observation deck that is located just outside the restaurant or from your table if you are fortunate enough to get seated at a table that is in a good viewing location.

I think that no matter what time you dine you can go back up to the deck to watch the fireworks. We ate early when we were there and were told to come back and we could watch the fireworks from the deck.

mdricks
04-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Cali Grill is fine dining. It is not chef Mickey's or O'Hanas. It is a place to go for a 1 -1.5 hour meal with good company, drinks before dinner etc....

It is high ticket, no question. But the top shelf costs more. I have not eaten at V&A yet but I can say that (V&A excluded) this is the best restaurant on property.

I would not take my kids (5&8) because they would not want to take an hour or more to eat and would become restless and bored rather quickly.

If I was going to entertain a date (the wife :blush: ) I wouldn't hesitate.

And i have had a window table during wishes, very romantic.

Bruegge
04-12-2007, 10:19 AM
If I was going to entertain a date (the wife :blush: ) I wouldn't hesitate.

If I was to entertain a date I probably wouldn't notify the wife.... Whoa LOL (Stand up Comedian sarcasm intended)

"Hey, I'll be here all week.. Try the Veal"

No, really, just go, Love it or hate it ( I can't imagine the latter) you'll know for future visits...

Scott

faline
04-12-2007, 10:21 AM
It is pricey and I've read some negative reviews from folks who have dined here.

For me, however, I've only had postivie experiences and it is one of my favorite dining locations!

Crow
04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
trying it for the first time in May on the dining plan. ive been looking at the menu, the sushi and pork tenderloin mayb.
ill let you know!

wire0monkey
04-12-2007, 02:32 PM
I love CG. We took my 19 month old and 4 year old there for dinner on our last trip. It was excellent. The kids hung out on the deck while we waited for dinner. I ended up leading an impromptu nature lecture for some other guests when they heard me talking to my kids about the turkey vultures that were flying over the lake.

The food was very good. The atmosphere was exceptional. The view can't be beat. Definitely go back up to watch the fireworks from the deck. It's awesome.

Dawn

atruman
04-12-2007, 03:19 PM
For me it's a "can't miss." The food and atmosphere are top notch, and if you enjoy wine, their wine cellar is excellent.

One of my very favorite Disney moments happened here. I was down from Toronto, where I used to live with my DW and another couple, one of whom had been a friend since we were very young, He had never been to the World, but had heard me talk about it at length, and couldn't imagine what the big deal was. The first night we were there, the four of us stood on the balcony watching Wishes, with the music piped over, and each of us had enjoyed a spectacular appetizer, and we all had a glass of excellent wine in our hands. He looked over at me, smiled and said "I get it."

That's about the highest recommendation I can give the place - for a 33 year old man, it was this experience that brought the Disney Magic home for him.

BrerGnat
04-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Personally, I think it's highly overrated. The food is good, no doubt about that, but the atmosphere is NOT what I expected. It was very bright, loud, and chaotic. It's hard to enjoy a leisurely meal there when you're surrounded by waiters literally RUNNING around between tables, cooks in the kitchen shouting all the time, and kids NOT behaving (not the restaurant's fault, and certainly not something you are guaranteed to encounter, but I did). Plus, I am from California, and the menu was not at all "inspiring", compared to most of the "California Cuisine" places I have eaten at here.

I honestly think there are better values for the dollar on property. My personal favorite is Kona Cafe at the Polynesian. It has GREAT food (dare I say better than CG!) and it's a really nice place for a family to have a good meal while still being reasonably priced.

EvilQueen2006
04-12-2007, 05:09 PM
I think CG is wonderful. The sushi is the best I've had anywhere, the wine was perfect, the dessert was amazing. The entree I had was a little too rich for me and I felt a bit ill afterwards, but that doesn't mean it wasn't delicious! The atmosphere was certainly romantic, but I found it a bit too stuffy. The waiter was wonderful, but the other diners seemed a little uneasy about having us (a gay couple) there. For great dining in a more laid back atmosphere I would suggest Marrakesh, Kona Cafe, or Wolfgang Puck Cafe, (and they aren't nearly as pricey).

Natazu
04-12-2007, 10:03 PM
The first night we were there, the four of us stood on the balcony watching Wishes, with the music piped over, and each of us had enjoyed a spectacular appetizer, and we all had a glass of excellent wine in our hands. He looked over at me, smiled and said "I get it." Wow. That's cool.

Bethanymouse
04-13-2007, 01:11 AM
One would be hard pressed to find a better restaurant in all of Florida. I absolutely think it's worth the money. Truth is, for the level of quality, the price is about right.

I agree! One of the best resturants that I have ever dined in. Truly worth the cost. You will not be disappointed!:cloud9:

atruman
04-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Wow. That's cool.

Yeah. I thought so. It's stayed with me as just about my favorite Disney moment, really (that, or being with my nieces and nephew for their first experience over at DLR - seeing the parks through a child's eyes is always pretty special). So, of course, that might bias my opinion of the restaurant, but it was at least partly the charm and magic of the place that led him to say that.