PDA

View Full Version : Original Oil Painting by Disney Artist

hollyannebarker
04-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I came across a charming Oil Painting, in New Brunswick Canada in an antique shop. The Artist's name was Maurice Day, who I've learned since was either an animater in the Bambi days, or worked with Disney then. I do know they showed the premier of the movie (Bambi) in his hometown in maine in his honor. I paid a pretty penny for it BEFORE I knew who the artist was. I'm having a hard time finding info on Mr. Day, and have to clue as to what to do with this lovely piece.

JPL
04-11-2007, 11:48 PM
You can contact the Disney Company Archive and ask them for information. The person you want to address you request to is Dave Smith if anyone can find the information he can :thumbsup:

dlpmikki
04-12-2007, 09:04 AM
From the book about Bambi by Frank and Ollie:

Artist and Photographer Maurice 'Jake' Day sent photographs of his Maine woods in summer, fall, winter and spring, not missing Indian summer, in rain, heavy snow, light snow, and sleet; on gray days and on bright sparkling days - every bit of nature's variety. He even arranged to have two fawns shipped to the studio so the artists would have live models to study.

hollyannebarker
04-13-2007, 10:00 PM
thanks for the info! I contacted the art museum in the hometown of Mr. Day in maine and they were very helpful with info on this artist. The painting is very large and is of a nude girl sitting on a tree stump, with her arms wrapped around her knees (no nudity showing). She reminds you of snow white. The colors are gorgeous, earth tones, and there are several pencil sketched on the back of the canvas. I'm looking for a buyer for this piece, and welcome any questions about the piece, also can forward a photo upon request.