PDA

View Full Version : Another question about "formal"...

wishes1983
04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
We are going on the 3night cruise on the Wonder....

What/when exactly is formal night?

Is it something that is optional to *really* dress up for? I've been on a cruise on another cruise line where "formal night" was optional.

Any information that hasn't already been given...??

Thank you much!

stitchfan
04-11-2007, 11:44 PM
We've been on 3 and 4 night cruises on the Wonder and a 7 night on the Magic. The only "formal" and "semiformal" nights were on the 7 night cruise. On formal night, most men wore coat & tie and women wore dresses. A few were in formal wear, either tuxedos or military full dress for men and cocktail dresses for women. On semiformal night, most men wore a shirt and tie or a jacket and no tie (either a collarless shirt or a dress shirt open at the neck). Ladies wore dresses or nice pants suits. I don't recall there being stated formal nights on the Wonder, and none of the cruise planning packets for the shorter cruises include the tux rental information.

In general, you need to dress up to go to Palo's. The rest of the dining rooms are less formal, though they would rather you wear a nice shirt and slacks rather than shorts, swimwear, and t-shirts. Triton's on the Wonder is the most formal dining room, Parrot Cay the least, and Animator's Palate is in between. I wore a jacket and tie to Triton's and jacket with no tie to the others. There were many men and boys there less dressed-up than me, and a few wore ties to every meal.

My DW and I like to dress up to go out because we think it's fun. Others don't like to dress up at all, especially on vacation.

If you want to follow the suggested dress code each day, it is printed on your Navigator (newsletter deliverd to your stateroom every evening) so you know what to expect.

Stitchfan

ElenitaB
04-12-2007, 12:18 AM
The third night of the three-night cruise is considered "Dress-Up Night," at least according to what it said on that day's Navigator. No definition is provided!

On our cruise, we saw everything from women in cocktail dresses and men in suits, through men in oxford shirts, ties and khakis and women in "nice" outfits, to people in tank tops and t-shirts (the gang at the next table to us :( ). For us, it was a nice opportunity to dress up a bit more than we normally do. DS normally wears a tie to school so he wasn't all that happy to have to do the same during vacation, but this Mom was happy. :cloud9:

On the first night, "evening attire" was "cruise casual" and on the second night, it was "pirate or cruise casual." Hope that helps!

TammiMcMan
04-12-2007, 09:52 AM
When we did our 3 night, "dress up night" meant that Mickey & Minnie would be in their formal attire for photo's, as well as the ships officers. Oldest daughter and I wore cocktail dresses, my husband and son wore dress pants, dress shirt and a tie, and our youngest got all decked out in a pretty silver gown. It's really what you'll be most comfortable wearing.

wishes1983
04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
to people in tank tops and t-shirts (the gang at the next table to us :( ).

I think that helped answer my bigger question... we had been told that polo shirts & khaki shorts would be okay for the guys... but some of the talk about the formal wear etc made me confused, so I just wanted to get a better idea. We know that Palo's is real dressy, etc - but we were just doing the three dinners that we get assigned.

Also, my sister said she read that you couldn't wear halters to dinner? She just bought a new dress that she was going to wear (she can easily throw a sweater over it). Just didn't know if anyone had any thoughts/knew anymore about that... again considering people were in tanks/tshirts I don't know that that would be a big deal...

Thanks!!

TammiMcMan
04-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Also, my sister said she read that you couldn't wear halters to dinner? She just bought a new dress that she was going to wear (she can easily throw a sweater over it).There's a lot of definitions for halter top, my guess is that they frown upon those teen half halters. There are just as many that are very classy looking though. My suggestion would be to bring the sweater anyway, just because it can get fairly cool in the restaurants.

again considering people were in tanks/tshirts I don't know that that would be a big deal.The attire is suggested and unless you showed up in a wet bathing suit, they are most likely going to seat you in whatever you're wearing. I talk to everyone and it's actually kind of funny hearing some of the stories about why people don't dress up. We met one poor family that made it on the ship, but their luggage didn't. They were so embarrassed to be in the dining room wearing t-shirts and shorts. Amazingly enough, there are many people who simply lose all track of time on the cruise. Trust me, I was one of them. With literally nothing to do all day but relax, you'd think I'd be on time for everything. Nope, I was late for every scheduled event that I attended, including dinner. So, there are those who are late getting back from an excursion or like me, just lose track of time and have to arrive at the dining room with their day clothes on.

wishes1983
04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Awesome!

Thanks so much!!:mickey: