PDA

View Full Version : Kona Cafe v. California Grill

KAT1811
04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Okay we have never been to either one of these restaurants and are looking to try something new this vacation. We are also trying Jiko for the first time. I keep flip flopping between the Kona Cafe and the California Grill. I keep reading the posts and hear a lot about Kona Cafe being one of WDW's best kept secrets. I'm so confused I don't know which to do. I would love it if you all could help me. If you could all give me your feedback on these two venues it should help me make a final decision. As of right now we have a reservation at CG at 6:10pm on a fireworks night. We are traveling with a group of 9 (6 adults, 3 children 10, 2, & 10 months)

MattJenRocky
04-11-2007, 11:16 AM
The Kona Cafe is really good but I've heard a lot of great things about CG also. They dim the lights so you can see the fireworks and I've heard the food is great! If you could...do both! I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either!

KAT1811
04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
That is half of the problem. There sin't room in our itinerary for both. Putting both in means we need to miss one of our current favorites. We are there 11 nights!

pox24
04-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey Kat,

No contest... California Grille:thumbsup:

SurferStitch
04-11-2007, 12:42 PM
If you can only do one, then Cali Grill is a must. It's more expensive (or 2 TS vs 1 TS if you're on the DDP), but so worth it. Awesome flatbreads, delicious appetizers and entrees, and the desserts....:cloud9: .

Kona Cafe is pretty good, but out of the 11 dinners we had in December, I would rate it in the bottom 3 (which is still very good since we enjoyed every dinner). DH wasn't as impressed as I was. I had very good (albeit very small) crab cakes. Kona was a great value for a 1 TS credit meal considering it would have cost us around $125+ OOP. We hated the coffee, though (too weak and had a funny aftertaste).

We dine at Cali Grill on every trip, and plan to again on our next trip.

Bruegge
04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Oh Kat,

Please do yourself the favor or trying CG.. IMHO it's #2 at Disney behing V&A's .. Narcoosees's a close 3rd

And also I'd love to see your plans because I'm sure in 11 days I'd find one dinner i could scrap in favor of Kona... It's in my top 6 or 7 (non character dinner only list)

Yes, I know we are all different.. but hey... Kona is a little gem too.

Scott

Septbride2002
04-11-2007, 02:07 PM
There is just no contest in this one. And also it is like comapring apples to prunes.

I like the Kona Cafe - the food is fresh, tasty, and fast. Definately would reccomend eating here.

But the CA Grill - the food is superb! You can get sushi, and excellent steak, and good bottle of wine, and the molten lava cake that is so heavenly you hear angels sing when you bite into it. :drama: Here is where I differ from most intercotees - go on a night where there is NOT fireworks. The sunset is amazing and the resturant is not as crowded as on a night when there is fireworks.

~Amanda

KAT1811
04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Scott,

Here are dining plans as of right now. I'd love to hear your input and anyone else's. We arrive on Wednesday September 12th :joy: and depart on Sunday September 23rd :cry: .

Thursday 9/13 - Mama Melrose's 6:10
Friday 9/14 - Plaza Restaurant 5:30pm (before MNSSHP)
Saturday 9/15 - Hoop-Dee-Doo Review 5:00pm show
Sunday 9/16 - Cinderella's Royal Table Breakfast 8:50am (a must for our 3 :princess: )
Monday 9/17 - San Angel Inn - 6:00pm
Tuesday 9/18 - Jiko 6:00pm
Wednesday 9/19 - Crystal Palace 8:25am
Thursday 9/20 - California Grill 6:10pm
Friday 9/21 - Concourse Steakhouse 5:40pm
Saturday 9/22 - Le Cellier 6:00pm

What do you think?

Bruegge
04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Scott,

Thursday 9/13 - Mama Melrose's 6:10
Friday 9/14 - Plaza Restaurant 5:30pm (before MNSSHP)
Saturday 9/15 - Hoop-Dee-Doo Review 5:00pm show
Sunday 9/16 - Cinderella's Royal Table Breakfast 8:50am (a must for our 3 :princess: )
Monday 9/17 - San Angel Inn - 6:00pm
Tuesday 9/18 - Jiko 6:00pm
Wednesday 9/19 - Crystal Palace 8:25am
Thursday 9/20 - California Grill 6:10pm
Friday 9/21 - Concourse Steakhouse 5:40pm
Saturday 9/22 - Le Cellier 6:00pm

What do you think?

first, I'm not a pro... But i know what I like... I've not eaten athe the first three on your list. With that in mind.. here we go.

Ok, just a thought...

you have concourse and le cellier back to back...

Both steakhouses, both good... Lecellier is going to get the nod from me... and about 70-90% of the guys here.

Nothing against concourse...

I'd stick Kona in there instead of concourse.... or since you don't have a dinner set up for the 16th or the 19th maybe there.

I'm assuming all of your dinner options in parks are timed with visits to THAT park... (ie you'll be in epcot the nites you eat at ..san angel and le cellier)

Still if you don't change you will be happy with your choices. You have done your homework...

Oh, just noticed... no Ohana's?? Humm...

I would have Ohana's in my top 5 for dinner. I'd have it above Kona... just for the fun (food is great too)

You have a nice variety of food, character interaction and you will be set. Let us know how it turned out.

Scott

Bethanymouse
04-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey Kat,

No contest... California Grille:thumbsup:

I second that! We always end our trip at the Ca Grill. It is our all time favorite and in my opinion the best disney offers. The atmosphere is amazing and the food is to die for :tasty: :eat: :tasty: . We often stay at the Poly so we have eaten at the Kona for lunch. The food was good and we did enjoy our meal but it just doesnt compare to the Ca Grill!:cheers:

KAT1811
04-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Okay taking into account the back to back steakhouse this is what I was thinking. We are on the DDP and have meals that as of right now equal 14 TS credits (we are there 11 nights so that means as of right now we have to pay OOP for 3 meals, not a huge deal but who feels like it when the DDP is now free)

I was thinking of changing Jiko to Concourse (mom loves Concourse, it's one of her must dos) and then putting O'hana or Kona in for dinner.

So that would put Concourse on Tuesday 9/18 (AK during day) and either Kona or O'hana on Friday 9/21 (BB during day).

What is so fascintaing about O'hana? We've never done it so I was just wondering? Is there entertainment of some kind? Which would you choose Kona or O'hana?

That would leave us with meals equal to 13 TS credits and I figured that we would pay OOP for Plaza and Crystal Palace.