PDA

View Full Version : reasons to stay on property

glenmar
04-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Hello all!! Fairly new to the website but have found it to be a tremendous resource!! Have been to WDW 8 times with DW and DD's (ages 7 and 11) over the last 6 years. We visit WDW at least a couple of days each trip but also enjoy Universal Studios. We have done WDW exclusively on 4 of these trips for approx 5-7 days each.

My question is this:
Each time we have traveled to WDW I do research on where to stay and have never found enough GOOD reasons to stay on property. I am able to rent a brand new house (or only 1-2 years old) with 4 bedrooms, full kitchen, private screened pool and all the comforts of home for the cost of a standard room @ WDW. I am talking only $80-95 a night. Now, granted , my family likes to visit other things in the Orlando area, such as Int'l Dr and some outlets etc.. so we always have a rental car. (which is very inexpensive also). I find posts that give the argument about saving time traveling to and from the parks and also the EMH privileges but we avoid EMH parks as we have heard these are crazy busy. AS far traveling In and out of the parks I am able to exit the parks and hit I-192 in 5-10 minutes. This enables us to eat where we want and are not tied to the food prices in the parks and resorts. Having the luxury of our own "home" has always been the way to go for us.
I also get the impression that many Intercotees "look down" on off-siters. Is this a perception that is justified? I have read these threads extensively and it is hard not to get that impression.
Anyhow,I am almost addicted to the info on this web-site and believe I will be better prepared for this trip (4/26-5/2) than ever before.
I am looking forward to all comments!!!

TinyDancer
04-11-2007, 10:40 AM
:welcome:

I don't think that anyone looks down on anyone else for their choice of accomodation, its just what people prefer. Though I would probably agree that a majority of people on these boards prefer staying onsite for whatever reason. I think you make a very good argument for your family staying off-site and I think you've answered your own question as to what you should do!!! :)

That being said, I think it would be great if you could post a trip report on your return and show another option to people wondering whether to stay on- or off-site! Who knows, you might even sway some people to stay off-site instead of it usually being the other way around!

Regardless, you're going to have an AMAZING time!!! Anything else you need, just ask!

TammiMcMan
04-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Everyone has a different way of vacationing, that's all. INTERCOT is a fan site, so you probably see more people who do enjoy the benefits of staying on site. Many may not visit any other Orlando attractions, so staying within the world can be very convenient.

Personally, we've done it all different ways. Our family really loved renting a house and it has worked perfectly for a few longer vacations. We were able to do Universal and because we have family living in the area, we were able to entertain them at our house with a bar-b-que and swimming. Times when we've done Disney exclusively, it makes sense for us to stay on site.

caryrae
04-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I think if you have a large group going a house can be the way to go. We went a couple years ago with 11 people total and we rented a house for the week for only $700, less than $100 per person for the week. It had 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and even it's own little screened in pool. It was nice to have a full kitchen too for breakfast and dinner.

I also love the Disney resorts. I just love having Disney all around 24/7. They are just fun resorts. You also get free transportation to and from the parks or DTD or if you drive yourself you get free parking. Also you can have any packages you buy sent to resort rooms free of charge, so if buy things at the parks you don't have to carry them around or rent a locker. I thinks it's just more fun to be in the middle of the magic.

We also rent a car each time because we also like to do other stuff outside the WDW area. We go to Cocoa Beach every year. I guess if it's just my wife and I we will stay on-site but if we have a large group we rent a house.

wifey5794
04-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I think it all depends on what you are looking for. We always stay on property when we are only doing Disney and maybe a quick trip to Kennedy Space Center. But when we are there to do other things and visit BIL then we stay off property. The convenience of the transportation is our number one reason. I don't even mind waiting for the bus as opposed to worrying about driving and parking. My DH travels a lot and he loves to stay on property in the delux resorts for the covenience factor. As our kids have gotten older (8 and 9) we do more at the parks late at night. We love EMH and don't think the evening ones are bad.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Enjoy your trip.

MsMin
04-11-2007, 10:47 AM
:welcome:
I prefer to stay onsite and have done both. We drive down so we have our car but love the convenience of being in the magic, not fighting the crowds, going back to the room at a moments notice.
As far as EMHs the morning hours are wonderful. I've been in Dec. when we've felt like we were the only ones in adventureland. The park doesn't start filling up until EMH is over and then it's easy to hop over to another park if it does get crowded. The evening hours can be crowded at first but they usually thin out, especially in MK after the fireworks. We find it's the best time to go because you can ride your favorites with little or no wait.
I don't have to pay for parking or go through TTC. This past Dec. we stayed @ the BWV and I literally walked out of the resort into EPCOT chatted a few CM's and had breakfast at the Fountain Bakery as I waited for my kids to rise.
When on vacation I don't like to cook. I want to get into the parks or explore.
Bottom line is I hate the travel and I've even stayed on Hwy192 at the Maingate. I hate fighting crowds in offsite fastfood or chain restaurants, when @ TTC I am so ready to be there and not waiting for another boat or monorail. I spend very little time in my room so whatever is waiting there for me isn't that special to me;but, again can go back to it at a moments notice.
I prefer Pop Century with fewer accommodation's but the convenience I love.
:minnie:

disneycouple2004
04-11-2007, 10:55 AM
You are right about everything you have said.
we stayed off property before also..what it came down to with our family was not to worry about saving money, but to get the full Disney experience..staying off property takes away from the (magic) of the trip to us..using the Disney busses and staying on property is a huge part of the magic for us..i was skeptical about it myself until we tried it ..made a believer out of me..and it was well worth the few hundred dollars i saved by staying off property..and i didn't have to drive and park and walk 3 miles on top of that !!..on property is the only way to go for us !!
:D

glenmar
04-11-2007, 11:09 AM
I think posting a trip report is a wonderful idea. I will try to do that as soon as we return to reality!!!
One other note, I don't believe we have ever turned on the stove or oven at any of the houses we have stayed at. The only appliance we use is the refrigerator for snacks and occasionally to wash bath towels (which are always included at the house) .
Also wanted to thank all in advance for their comments!!

January-2007
04-11-2007, 11:10 AM
It's definately a personal decision. Everybody has different pros and cons, but for us, we HAVE to stay on property. If we couldn't stay on property, we just wouldn't go. When I was a kid going with my family, we stayed offsite, and once my brothers got older and it was just my parents and I we stayed onsite for the first time. Then again after that. Then they bought into DVC. All those years missing out, but never again!

DH and I love Disney's Pop Century Resort. When we get there, we feel like we've really "arrived" at Walt Disney World. I absolutely love the posters in the rooms, they are so lovely! Even the bedspreads are themed, and every time you turn on the tv, there's annoying Stacy, and it's always a joy. I appreciate not having to drive at all once we are onsite. We can just pop on a bus, and off we go. They just make it so easy for us. Refillable mugs, a reliable food court, the arcade, the pools, the giant Disney icons, we love it all. I just don't think we would feel as immersed in the magic if we were not staying onsite. And we do enjoy evening Extra Magic Hours, and look forward to going to some of the Magical Beginings ones in September. And speaking of September, we get to eat at nice restaurants for 11 nights for free! Talk about all inclusive vacationing!

If you spend a lot of time offsite and you don't want to spend money on food on property and want more space without paying extra for it, the house you talk about really does seem lovely. If it were any other destination than Walt Disney World, I would definately love to stay there as well, but it's not. It's a place I don't want to leave the entire time I'm there. So those are my reasons for staying onsite.

By the way- WELCOME TO INTERCOT!!! I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip and make lots of wonderful memories with your family!!! :mickey:

caryrae
04-11-2007, 11:13 AM
I think posting a trip report is a wonderful idea. I will try to do that as soon as we return to reality!!!
One other note, I don't believe we have ever turned on the stove or oven at any of the houses we have stayed at. The only appliance we use is the refrigerator for snacks and occasionally to wash bath towels (which are always included at the house) .
Also wanted to thank all in advance for their comments!!

I forgot to mention that it was very nice having a washer and dryer too. I know the Disney resorts have washers and dryers but it was nice having right there in the house and all you need to buy is a small bottle of laundry soap.

tink2006
04-11-2007, 11:17 AM
We have never even thought about staying off property ....You make some great points. I think I might try to convinve DH we may want to try this. However, I think it will be a hard to convinve him to give up the magic :mickey:

crazeedizneefinatic
04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Coming from someone who has stayed on and off property I must say I prefer on property also. I used to think that staying off property was the most inexpensive way to go. But with the perks you get from staying with Disney I have changed my mind. No car rental, no gas for the rental, no luggage handling, no worry about parking and the cost of parking, no worry about returning the car at the right time trying to figure out when the flight leaves and when the car has to be returned. I absolutely hated waiting in line at the airport for a rental car, dragging my luggage, searching for the car in it assigned spot and then driving 30 minutes to the hotel. Now all we have to do is leisurely got off the plane and walk to the Magical Express line. No baggage to worry about. Okay, I admit I do worry about it but at least I don't have to pick it up, lol! I think the only down factor for us staying with Disney in the past is that you are held captive to eat. We do tend to get tired of the same food by the end of our 10 days. I think this year will be different since we did get the free dining and are free to eat at the more expensive places which we do not tend to do since I do travel with 2 of the most pickiest eaters on the planet. I think cost wise you do spend a tad more staying with Disney but the perks are great and it seems more relaxing. Since we only go to Orlando for Disney it just makes sense for us.:mickey:

BrerSchultzy
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
I understand that you feel Intercotees "look down" on those staying off-property, but I don't think it's anything personal. Most of the ones who post actively on this site are more than a little obsessed, so they want to be surrounded with Disney magic at all times...be it in the parks, or on the TV at their resort, or on their iPods when they get home. :mickey:

Everyone vacations differently. With my family, we enjoy going to a park for a couple of hours, heading to our resort, going to another park, heading to a different resort for food, back to another park...all without ever leaving the Disney magic. That's why we go, so that's why we stay on property.

I would recommend doing it just once...even if it's only for a couple of days at the beginning or end of your stay. It's just something you have to experience to understand. If we could tell you EXACTLY what it is that makes it better to us, then we wouldn't have entire message boards dedicated to it...there'd just be an FAQ.

Either way, I look forward to reading your trip report...and have a GREAT time!!

Figment!
04-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Welcome to INTERCOT :hi:, Glad you're here :)

While the value of on-property benefits vary from Guest to Guest, the Benefits of staying on property (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/../infocentral/accomodations/onproperty.asp) section of INTERCOT info Central does contain a comprehensive list.

we avoid EMH parks as we have heard these are crazy busy.Extra Magic Hour crowds are relative to who is gauging them.

Some comments of being "overly crowded" stem from Guest's expectations of being able to walk-on rides with no wait. When these expectations are not met, the Guests find the park "too busy".

Other comments of crowds, while do accurately reflect the crowdedness of the park, are not compared against how busy the park was at mid-day. Extra Magic Hours during a peak time of year may have significant crowds, but those crowds are still likely to be less than they were at mid-day.

Evening Extra Magic Hours are typically more crowded than Morning Extra Magic Hours, but statistically speaking neither will be as busy as the park was at it's crowd peak that day.

Crowds aside, it still gives Guests extra time.

Dopey's Girl
04-11-2007, 12:03 PM
I have stayed off site, and agree that for some people the pros of being away from the Disney property greatly outweigh the cons. You can save some money, and have a pretty nice place to stay too. I have never stayed on Disney property and paid rack rate though, we always travel in low seasons, when some pretty good discounts have been available.

For me, I just couldn't drive through those wonderful purple gates every night...that would let the real world in, and while I'm in Disney, that isn't happening! I don't use EMH all that often, but we only use Disney transportation while we are there (even when we have a rental car) and love the ease of it all! Sure being "stuck" in Disney means I have to eat their food and pay their prices, but I'm ok with that!

I don't think that anyone looks down on people for staying off site, I just think that the majority of us here are such Disney Fans, that we love being emmersed in the Magic, morning, noon and night while we are there! I love that some people don't stay on site...it means more rooms open for me to try out!

BelleBeauty
04-11-2007, 12:11 PM
After reading your post, I'm sure that renting a house is a good choice for your family. Above all else, Intercotees understand that every family does things differently and understands what works for them personally.

Staying off-site in a private home would probably work for us, however we've never done that (our group isn't big enough to justify it). I've stayed at off-site hotels and just won't do it again! For us staying on-site is the only choice. We don't rent a car or cook our own meals.

It is totally about the environment/atmosphere of magic. When I go to Disney I expect the special magical service. I have been so disappointed in past years when we leave the Disney property (for hotels or to go to other area attractions). I am in love with the Disney magic, and now I won't even combine other activities with our Disney trips. If I want to visit other parks, I'll go at another time. We stay on-site to really feel that our entire vacation, from getting off the plane to getting back on, is restful and magical.

I also think that EMH, DDP, transportation and various other perks that come with the Disney resorts do add up to a better vacation for us.

marlyn
04-11-2007, 12:24 PM
I am about to fly to WDW for my fourth trip in 8 more days. We always go for 2 weeks and my first 2 trips we stayed off site in a 3 bedroom condo. But the last trip we decided to stay onsite and I have to say I would have a hard time staying off site again.

We went to Universal....and my kids kept saying "something is missing Mom". Then we realized it was the "magic" that was not there.

On th the last trip we rented a car and the only time we left Disney property over the entire 2 weeks was when we went to Universal for one day and when we went to the grocery store. Each time we drove out of the WDW gates my boys would say...."sigh, we are not in the magic anymore" LOL They were right...things just seemed so blah "out there"

When I am immersed in Disney "Magic" 24/7 like that...I am truly on a vacation from the real world and all the real world problems that we all need a break from. That is why we choose to now stay with Disney.

TammiMcMan
04-11-2007, 12:30 PM
You also get free transportation to and from the parks or DTD or if you drive yourself you get free parking. Also you can have any packages you buy sent to resort rooms free of charge, so if buy things at the parks you don't have to carry them around or rent a locker.I just wanted to clarify that the free transporation between parks and DTD is available to anyone holding a valid WDW park ticket. You don't have to be an on site guest for that benefit. Also, the package delivery directly to your resort room is now only available to guests staying on the club level. For everyone else, packages will be delivered to your resorts gift shop for pick up.

Wolf
04-11-2007, 12:30 PM
I dont think anyone really looks down on anyone who doesnt stay on site I think its more like we are all totally addicted to WDW so much most of us dont go to Universal or the other things in Orlando. We all spend so much time in WDW I think we see it as making perfect sense to stay on site for EMH and bus transport.

That being said if I liked the other interest points in Orlando I'm not sure if I would still stay on site, we do but because we never leave the property till we go to the airport. Espically with the deal you get I dont think you should give that up, with the benefits you have there your not only saving money on food (for being able to cook) you can also see the other parks easily. Just my 2cents tho! Have a great next trip!

caryrae
04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
I just wanted to clarify that the free transporation between parks and DTD is available to anyone holding a valid WDW park ticket. You don't have to be an on site guest for that benefit. Also, the package delivery directly to your resort room is now only available to guests staying on the club level. For everyone else, packages will be delivered to your resorts gift shop for pick up.
Thanks for clarifing the package delivery part. I didn't realize they didn't deliver to your room anymore. It's still a great perk for staying on-site even if you have to pick up packages in the gift shop.

DizneyRox
04-11-2007, 01:14 PM
My biggest "problem" with those staying off site is that I don't feel that people compare apples to apples when making their decision.

There are a number of "perks" that you can take advantage of staying on-site. Some of them MAY be tough to put a number around, but the convenience certainly does have a value.

Some things that I think people overlook when determining the real cost of staying off site. In addition to the cost of the room, include the daily rental costs of the car and the parking fees associated with the parking lots. You can get really technical and include the cost of the gas and try to put a price on the time and/or aggrivation of driving if you want as well.

I have nothing against staying off-site, I've done it myself on occasion. Given the choice, I'll be on-site unless there is a significant savings. $10-$20 ain't enough.

Mickey91
04-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Growing up we always stayed off site and DH and I did the same for our honeymoon. When we brought our DS the first time we stayed onsite. It was totally addictive. We came back trying to save $$ and stayed offsite the next time and regretted it everytime we passed under the welcome sign on the way out. It took away a piece of the magic for us. Since then, we always stay onsite. But until we tried it staying off site was fine. We also don't go anywhere else and we stay at the parks most of the day. It would waste too much of the experience for us to have to go back to our hotel for food.
No one thinks anything less of people staying offsite..we've just been bitten by the Disney bug..or should I say the Mouse!:mickey:

Marker
04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Actually, I have considered using the house rentals. But as of yet not.

As for reasons to stay on-site, well for me.....

1) I don't want to break the mood. I don't have to go back out into the "real world", or deal with traffic, or other things to distract from my "Disnification" (sorry, just made that word up)

2) I don't need a car.

3) If I use the DDP, I don't have to stop and eat, or even worse, think about fixing my own meals. I love to cook, but not on vacation.

4) When I'm with the family, I REALLY enjoy the additional freedom of other family members being able to go back to the room to nap, or swim, or relax. Or to be able to go back to the park at night or whatever. Of course if the kids are younger, that's not so much of a benefit, but with older kids, it was really a blessing.

5) I enjoy being around people. I enjoy going swimming around others who are playing and having fun. I enjoy the possibility of chatting with people I don't know. You can really meet some interesting people from some interesting places. To me, that's part of the fun.

6) though a minor reason, I enjoy the resort TV options while staying onsite. Just part of the Disney immersion I guess.

7) I REALLY like using EMH. Morning EMH works great to keep the peace in the morning. I wake up, get up, and go. I'm having fun, while those who prefer to sleep in are sleeping. I'm not getting impatient waiting on them, and they're not getting impatient with me being impatient with them. As they get up, they can call and we meet. Perhaps one at a time, or as a group. And if it's just the wife and me, believe me, it does wonders to keep the peace in the morning.

7) Here lately, it's just the wife and I, or maybe one of the kids, and we really don't need the extra space of the house. But, if I ever go with the entire clan again, we might go with the house method.

You know, in the past, when we have done Universal, and other area attractions, we've moved to a hotel closer to that attractions. I really think when we do it again, I may just stay at WDW. I'd much prefer that to finding a "nice" Comfort Inn near Universal.

Mickspal
04-11-2007, 06:40 PM
I certainly don't look down on people who stay off property, but I don't think they really understand Disney. Many people think of Disney World as 4 theme parks. It is actually a magical world that happens to incorporate 4 theme parks. I could spend a very wonderful vacation there without ever entering a theme park. Every time you leave the property, you leave the magic and it's like commuting home from work. However, if you would like a different perspective, check out the April 8 podcast of Inside the Magic.

Bruegge
04-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Am i the only one who noticed the dead tired family with sleepy, whining kids.. leaving the monorail at the ttc saying... We'll be at the car in just a minute... or, you can sleep in ... or you can get a drink in.. or there is food to eat in ... THE CAR!!!

Leaving the car for the entire stay is part of the magic for me.

Staying offsite forces you to "max out" your stay that day at the park.

Seeing and hearing (all of the above more than once) made me a believer.

Scott

CarolinaWDWFan
04-12-2007, 09:22 AM
1. Disney transportation.
2. On-property car rental options. You can rent a car for the day(s) that you venture through Orlando without having to keep it rented throughout a week.
3. Disney 24/7. You get totally immersed into the experience that is second to none. Remember, this is the number 1 vacation destination in the world for a reason.
4. Resort TV.
5. Non-theme park options that are accessible. The water parks, Downtown Disney, Pleasure Island, Mini Golf, etc.
6. Flexibility. You can split up your day, go back to your resort for a couple of hours, divide up your group, etc. Because of Disney tansportation and the proximity of the resorts, there is great flexibility based on your needs.

BigRedDad
04-12-2007, 09:25 AM
I think the advantages and disadvantages are based on preference. Financially, it makes all the sense in the world to stay off-site. If you want 100% of the experience, staying on site is the most important.

For me, our first full family trip will be on site. It is going to cost a bundle. After this first major trip, we will be doing value or moderate resorts or staying off-site.

People just need to weigh the pros and cons of both. I don't think there is a way to convince someone one way or another. Each person needs to map out what they want from their vacation and see what it takes to meet those goals.