PDA

View Full Version : Future Trip Planning

BigRedDad
04-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Rambling thoughts and questions on future trip:

Wow, it has been a while since I've been here and a lot has changed. Got married, have a daughter, sis-in-law/bro-in-law just had a daughter. Work and life got in a little of the way for vacations. Discussion over Easter was when we were going to WDW. There have been no real plans set, but it looks like we are planning a full-family vacation in 2009. I know it is a long time away, but planning a trip of this size will be time consuming. My in-laws never really vacation, but are dying to see their two granddaughters at WDW.

Trying to get an idea of the deluxe resorts vs the moderate or value resorts. Since there will be at least 3 rooms needed, the cost increases quickly. However, this will be a first full-family vacation and the granddaughters' first WDW trip. We have 2+ years to begin saving for this trip. It would only be an extra $50 per month for the Deluxe resorts. I am thinking the Polynesian because of the tropical atmosphere and proximity to most things.

Deluxe: $3000
Moderate: $1750
Value: $1400

My wife and I honeymooned at the AKL. It was extremely nice. One thing we disliked was the long waits for buses. I know that resort is way out there and sometimes shares the route with the All-Stars (at least it was that way 5 years ago when we were there). While there, we talked about staying at a monorail resort when we do go back. Going back now looks like a massive affair.

faline
04-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey: You mention coming back so I'm guessing you might have had another screen name in the past?

If you're traveling with young children and the budge will allow, I'd strongly suggest staying at one of the monorail resorts such as the Poly. You'll spend a lot of time at the Magic Kingdom and these resorts are very convenient to that park.

If money is an issue, I think you'll find many of the moderate resorts will serve you well. My favorite moderate is Coronado Springs though you may also want to consider Port Orleans due to the convenience of the boat to Downtown Disney.

As you are discussing Accommodations, I'm going to move this discussion to that forum.

BigRedDad
04-11-2007, 09:00 AM
I did have a user name a while ago. Too old to remember what it was. Thanks for moving it Accommodations.

As with anyone, money is an issue. However, with the time we have to plan, it will be less of an issue. I was thinking Poly also because it just has that additional vacation feel to it: sipping drinks on the beach, great pool, monorail, Luau (now something else), convenience to MK. water pageant.

I know a lot of the resorts don't allow going to the pool unless you are at that resort. If the grandparents decide to stay at an All-Star, can they babysit and go to the pool at the Poly? I am not sure how strict something like that would be. It would at least reduce the cost of a portion of the trip.

AuntDJ
04-11-2007, 09:56 AM
BigRedDad~

Welcome Back! If budget at all allows, I would highly suggest everyone staying at the same resort. I do not think there is any direct transportation from resort to resort, therefore Grandma/Grandpa would spend ALOT of time travelling.

We recently stayed at POFQ with 3 rooms and 8 people. It was well worth the cost! They put in rooms next to each other and we could come and go as we pleased. Some could go to the pool while Grandpa napped with the youngest. Worked great for us! Having been back only a month, the kids (9; 8; and 5) are still talking about it...well I guess we adults are as well! They are memories that will last forever!!!

I have always wanted to stay at the Poly, but when it came down to cost, I just could see sooo much other stuff to do with those funds while on vacation...maybe one day I will break down and stay there...the thought of staying at a monorail resort is very appealing!!!!

One more thing, I do not know your budget, but I will say...if staying at the Deluxe will make you be on more of a "budget" while on vacation, it does not seem worth it to me...Part of the "fun" for me at least at Disney is being able to buy what we want and not have to worry...I guess that is why we stay at moderates (just my 2 cents though)..

Enjoy your planning!!

DJ

BrerGnat
04-11-2007, 01:40 PM
You guys really should try to all stay at the same resort. Have you looked into the DVC villas? The two bedroom villas sleep 8, so maybe you could all stay in one of those. Benefits are separate living area (so the kids can sleep and the adults can stay up longer if they want) and a kitchen, plus a laundry room with W/D. If you split the cost, it can be very affordable for all. Plus, if you get some groceries, you can cut your food bill by eating at least breakfast (and sometimes lunch or dinner) in your room.

I would look into the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge as well as those at the Boardwalk or Beach Club, for the best access to the parks.

If you want a regular resort, and can afford to go all out, go for the Polynesian. With toddlers in tow, the monorail will be a godsend (for trips to both MK and Epcot) and there is great dining and lots to do at the Poly for everyone in your party. In addition, if the adults want a "night out", there are some EXCELLENT restaurants at the GF and Contemporary, and being on the monorail loop is VERY convenient for coming back from a late dinner or drinks at the lounge.

Mickey91
04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
We had an opportunity to stay at the Poly and loved it!! There is no experience better!! As long as it doesn't take away from your having fun budget, I say go for it! Otherwise, I would suggest the PORR. It has a similar relaxed atmosphere. If you want to book a cinderella castle meal (we prefer breakfast) Make sure to mark your calendar 180 days before you check in and call at 7AM Eastern Time to make the reservation. Even then you may miss it. They are booked solid within the first 5 minutes. Also a good idea to call a few days before to make sure you did not miscalculate. Hope you guys have a great time!!