PDA

View Full Version : Timeframe for non DVC'er booking DVC

Jenemmy
04-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Hey guys --- I am serioulsy leaning toward going with a 2 bedroom villa for my extended family's next trip to the World. I know there are pretty specific time windows for when members can book their home resort, and then when other DVC'ers can book....but when can those of us who haven't talked our spouses into buying into DVC book??? As in, how far in advance. Obviously, DVC members should, and I am sure do, get first pick. When can I swoop in for the leftovers?

CarolMN
04-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Sounds like you want to book DVC accomodations for cash by calling CRO/WDWTC. There really isn't any "set time" that CRO gets DVC rooms, but no need to even start looking until 11 months prior to arrival.

Disney/DVC does retain a small percentage of the rooms in each DVC resort. If those aren't needed for other purposes (i.e., for rehab, maintenance, etc.), they are often rented for cash. If DVC members use points to stay at one of the non-DVC resorts or to cruise on the DCL, DVC sends the equivalent number of rooms to CRO. There's really no way to predict when that will happen (at least none that I know of) or what dates and villas will be made available for cash reservations. That said, there is usually more availability when you get closer to the dates

Bottom Line: You just have to keep calling periodically and hope to get lucky. In my experience, availability for the larger villas and more popular dates is limited (i.e., seldom discounted).

Good luck - you will love the 2 bedrooms!

P.S. You might look into renting a reservation from a DVC member. It is more risky than renting directly from Disney, but in exchange you can get your first choice of the dates & unit size & resort (if you plan ahead) and a good discount (maybe as much as 40% or even more). If you go this route and want popular dates, start looking for a DVC member willing to rent as early as 12 months ahead. That way, the member will be able to reserve what you want as soon as the 11 month window opens.

HockeyKat
04-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I would try renting points from a member. To give you an example, a 2-bed villa at BCV during value season is $670/night. Regular is $880/night.

In point value, Sun-Thurs, the same 2-bed villa is 30 pts/night in value, 32 in "choice" (regular). You can usually rent at $10-12/pt.

Another thought, if you want to convince your spouse... :thedolls: You can take the $4400 and it will pay for 1/3 of your buy-in for the 160 points that you would need to book regular season. Or you could buy an 80 pt resale at $85/pt, bank/borrow the points and go every other year, and it would only cost an extra $1200 buy-in + $400/yr in maintenance.

Maleficent's Dad
04-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Another thought, if you want to convince your spouse... :thedolls: You can take the $4400 and it will pay for 1/3 of your buy-in for the 160 points that you would need to book regular season. Or you could buy an 80 pt resale at $85/pt, bank/borrow the points and go every other year, and it would only cost an extra $1200 buy-in + $400/yr in maintenance.
Wow! This is exactly what I was thinking!!! I have a buddy who spent a week at the GF (President's Week). He was so jealous of my family as he and his dropped about $7000 for the week! He could have had 50% of the min. DVC payment for that!