PDA

View Full Version : Broken Bone in Foot?

merlinmagic4
04-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Hello :mickey:

My daughter fell of a playground structure yesterday and is complaining of pain. I am wondering if I should bring her in for an xray. It isn't black and blue but a tiny bit swollen. It hurts on the outside edge of the foot up to the ankle and across the toes. She says it also hurts on the bottom of the foot. Is it possible there is a broken bone? Anyone have a broken bone without severe swelling? We leave for Disney tomorrow!:(

DizneyRox
04-11-2007, 07:52 AM
I bruised my heels once. Nothing broken, but I couldn't walk for a few days. It's very possible..

I also one twisted my ankle and it turned my entire foot black and blue. From one side of my ankle, down, under the arch, and up the other side. Also, nothing broken. I was able to walk, but with EXTREME pain.

Go to a Dr. It will be more expensive down in Florida (plus wasted time) than a "quick" visit at home. What's done is done, so either way you're at the same point. I'd rather go now...

ginger19
04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
I would take her now. I have broken 2 bones in my foot and it's extremely painful. I had swelling with both but only because there was trauma to the ankle both times. Better to take her now then try to do it in florida.
I hope she is ok!

I wanted to add that my son broke a bone last summer and there was absolutely no swelling around it!

mrsgaribaldi
04-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Go get an xray. You can never tell. I've seen feet so badly swollen and black and blue that it's hard to believe nothing was broken. It goes the same way, something that looks like nothing and it's broken. Better to get it checked and get her the care she needs now. Remember to have her take it easy in Disney. :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

kakn7294
04-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Get the Xray done. Sometimes an injury doesn't "look" like we think it should. Better to check it out now than have problems on vacation. BTW, you might want to consider renting a wheelchair for her in the parks even if it's not broken since she should keep it elevated and rested as much as possible. If they say she's to use crutches, it would be far too hard on her with that much walking. I've had to use them at home and my arms were sore after only a short time. I can't even imagine Disney World on crutches! And don't feel the slightest bit bad about using a WC either - you have to put her needs first!

bucky at disney
04-11-2007, 09:00 AM
This sounds exactly like DS incident. He hurt his foot during basketball practice this winter. It didn't turn black & blue - and wasn't really swollen at all. So DH and I didn't think too much of it - until the school nurse called the next day after he went to school - to say she thought it may be broke. So we took him in - and sure enough he had fractured a bone.:-o So now we are 12 weeks later - and he is finally finishing up with physical therapy after being on crutches for 4 weeks and in an air cast for a total of 8.

So, please save yourself some time and get some reassurance - take her in and get an xray.

Jeri Lynn
04-11-2007, 10:36 AM
A few years ago I had some pain in my foot, it hurt when I had heels on and a sharp pain here and there when I was walking....I went to the doctors and they xrayed it and nothing showed up...I went almost another six weeks of limping around, and it was really bad on a mini vacation I went on and tried to walk barefoot in the sand, I came back home and had it re-xrayed and they xrayed it from the top, not the side and it showed I had a broken metatarcil...they put me in one of those cushioned boots for six weeks...I still get pain now and then.

I'd have your daughter checked, at least you will be able to go away without worrying, esp if it is not broken and just bruised...

I never had any swelling or bruising.

Good luck & have a great vacation!

Donald A
04-11-2007, 10:46 AM
As a podiatrist, I must say you can never go wrong with immobilization. Perhaps a walking boot. You also need to be careful who reads the radiographs as kids can sometimes fracture around a growth plate which is the weakest part of the bone. Kids usually don't fracture like adults.

crazypoohbear
04-11-2007, 10:54 AM
GET to a Doctor NOW!!
My oldest DS has broken his hand,foot,shoulder, finger and NEVER had anything other than minimal swelling. Even his shoulder didn't hurt,(He had broken it two weeks before he saw the DR for something else and just mentioned it in passing!!)
My youngest DS just broke his wrist 2 weeks ago and had a little swelling. Kids bone's aren't like ours they are still soft. Especially if you are flying. The flight down could cause the foot to swell (like planes do on an average person) and that would really cause pain.
Keep us posted and have a good trip.

Jeremy
04-11-2007, 10:56 AM
sorry to hear about what happen.
Here is some pixie dust to help.

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

marlyn
04-11-2007, 11:48 AM
:pixie: to help with the healing. I hope no bones were broken :)

merlinmagic4
04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks! We are on our way to the ER. I'm hoping they "fasttrack" her and it is quick. I am afraid to go into the pedi because everytime we do, we come out sick! Thank goodness we aren't going to a park until Sunday so she can rest. We are going to DD on Saturday. Do they rent wheelchairs or strollers there?

merlinmagic4
04-11-2007, 05:25 PM
No broken bones :thumbsup: The doctor said she may have torn a ligament or a tendon on the side of her foot. They wrapped it up for her and said she's good to go :) So, no need for the wheelchair or stroller this time!!! Thanks again everyone :mickey:

Jeri Lynn
04-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Great news!! Enjoy your trip!

crazypoohbear
04-11-2007, 09:29 PM
YEAH, So glad no broken bones. Have a good trip.
Take it easy on the foot still. Keep some motrin and ice handy an injured ligament is still very painful.

SodaPopMGK
04-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I'm not trying to be negative here but my son had a similar problem and the foot continued to hurt. We finally went to the ortho who looked at the x-ray and told us it was a broken growth plate which is hard to see and often missed and that if they didn't set it properly would impact the growth of the foot. I hope your daughter is fine. Have a great trip!

merlinmagic4
04-12-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi,

I'm not trying to be negative here but my son had a similar problem and the foot continued to hurt. We finally went to the ortho who looked at the x-ray and told us it was a broken growth plate which is hard to see and often missed and that if they didn't set it properly would impact the growth of the foot. I hope your daughter is fine. Have a great trip!

I know.....Donald A said the same thing and I have been thinking about it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it is still hurting. Like I said, she can pretty much rest and swim until Sunday so hopefully that will do it! Thanks for posting :)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm glad to hear it's not broken. I broke my little toe once and was in a cast up to my knee because of where I broke it.
At least you can get a wheelchair or stroller if all the walking bothers her.
I found that sitting and soaking in the hot tub then hopping in the pool helped my feet recover.
Have a wonderful trip.