PDA

View Full Version : Need help selling stock

mrsgaribaldi
04-11-2007, 06:18 AM
I own some stock in my bank. I would like to sell some to get back just the money it cost me to buy it. Does anyone know how I can do this? I don't buy and sell stock so I don't know how to go about this. Can it be done online? Any help would be great, thanks:mickey:

merlinmagic4
04-11-2007, 06:29 AM
I used to belong to an investment club and we bought and sold through Etrade. I'm not sure if you have to buy the stocks through your Etrade account to sell them there but you could take a look! My mother still belongs so I'll ask her when I see her this morning :thumbsup:

Advnt05
04-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Somewhere, someone holds your stock in an account. If you bought it through your employer, than there is someone at the bank you work at who maintains the financial/retirement accounts. You should be getting periodic statements from whoever holds your stock telling you how many shares you have and what their value is at that time. That is who you need to contact to sell it. Now, if you bought it as an investment, then there is probably a fixed fee (sometimes a percentage of the value) that the company will charge you to sell it. Then at the end of the year, you will be receiving a tax form indicating the gain/loss in value of the stock. If you have owned it for a certain period of time, you should be not charged on the capital gains.
Now, if you bought it and put it into a retirment plan, you will be hit wil a hefty IRS tax if you sell it before retirement.

Hope this helps.

JanetMegan
04-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Actually I had some stock that was just in my possession, wasn't held by any investment company or anything. I used Fidelity to sell the stock, they did it turn key with a fee, not too bad though. So you may want to try them, they have an online chat thingy where you could go to their site, click on the "contact us" and then "live chat" and ask some questions. I found them to be very helpful.

mrsgaribaldi
04-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Thank you:thumbsup: