PDA

View Full Version : TSA and Snow Globes

Dare To Dream
04-10-2007, 01:17 PM
We flew home via John Wayne International (Santa Ana) yesterday. As is our tradition we had a snow globe in our carry-on with other breakables we had purchased at DLR. Wasn’t I surprised when TSA pulled me out of line because of a suspicious article in my carry-on – the snow globe. I was told that snow globes are prohibited from being brought on board. Funny – we have flown out of John Wayne twice (Oct and Jan) with snow globes since the liquid restrictions went into effect last September without any problems. We also flew out of Orlando in December with snow globes – again no problems. I looked around and snow globes are not posted as a prohibited item (it is not posted on the TSA website either).

After a thorough search I was given the option of throwing the snow globe out or checking it through. We chose to check it in and wrapped it in my husband’s sweatshirt and checked one of our totes. In the future I will be shipping everything home that is breakable rather than risk TSA having a new rule. I looked at the trash can and TSA had confiscated baby teething rings (the kind you can freeze), and assorted other children’s toys. So if you are traveling don’t take anything that might be construed to be liquid unless it fits in your 1 quart zip lock bag.

NotaGeek
04-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Although frustrating, I would rather be safe than sorry! I suppose the most irritating part is that it seems every TSA has their own version of the rules.

ChipDale
04-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I always have Disney send my purchases to my home. I don't have to find room in my luggage or worry about it getting broken. If they ship it and something gets lost or broken, they cover it. I've never had a problem with them. :thumbsup:

Tink&Goofy
04-12-2007, 10:49 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. I wondered about this last August when we went to WDW right after the restrictions were put into place. My kids love getting snowglobes, and I just had them shipped from the store. Like ChipDale said, I'd rather they be responsible if it got broken. Besides, my kids like the BIG snowglobes - and nobody wants to heft them around on the long flight home.

tinkwest
04-13-2007, 03:38 AM
I hope the snow globe arrived home in perfect condition. I will chime in and agree that sending purchases home from the resort is a breeze. I have always received my merchandise promptly and well wrapped.

Too bad your trip ended on a bit of a down note, but hopefully your stay at the Resort was a positive one.