PDA

View Full Version : The Great Movie Ride

caryrae
04-10-2007, 12:39 PM
If they ever did an update to this ride, what scenes from newer movies would like to see?

I am guessing someday they will change some scenes so when kids of today grow up and bring there own kids they will know the movie the scene is from. I am sure alot of kids now have no idea what movie some scenes are from. They have no idea who Humphrey Bogart or Gene Kelly are.

Speedy1998
04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
They update this ride all the time. The ending movie seems to have new footage everytime I go. Personnally, I do not think they should do an update of the scenes. With the exception of the Alien scene all the scenes are from movies that were 30 or more years old when the Great Movie Ride was built. In short you are supposed to be going through classic movie scenes.

caryrae
04-10-2007, 12:51 PM
What about in 20 or 30 years from now and the movies of today are classics? I am not saying they should change but if they did what movie scenes would you like to see?

Actually Alien is almost 30 years old. Came out in 1979 if ya can belive that.

magicman
04-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I think the following movies have scenes that I consider "classic" & could be made into scenes on the Great Movie Ride:
- Star Wars Episdoe 5: "Luke, I am your Father:darth: ...Noooh!"
- Forrest Gump
- Raiders Of The Lost Ark
- Pirates Of The Carribean

magicman
04-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I think the following movies have scenes that I consider "classic" & could be made into scenes on the Great Movie Ride:
- Forrest Gump

Goofy Pluto
04-10-2007, 02:57 PM
- Forrest Gump

Um... don't they have a Raiders of the Lost Ark scene?

The Star Wars scene would be way cool. I'd like to see Lord of the Rings, though... How cool would that be?

caryrae
04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Um... don't they have a Raiders of the Lost Ark scene?

I belive there's the scene when they are in the pit with all the snakes and they are lifting the Arc Of the Covenant.

I agree with Star Wars having a scene. If that's not a classic movie almost every knows something about than none are.

KAJUNKING
04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
a scene from the original superman would be cool!

4ubie1
04-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Since they already have an Indiana Jones scene, I doubt they would make another one. The Star Wars :yoda: scene is a good idea and being a LOTR fan, I would love to see a scene from that movie line. King Kong would be another one..not necessarily 'cause of the latest version but more of how the older one affected movie making. I don't think they would add any more scenes but it would be fun if they did. Here's hoping anyway!!:thumbsup:

Marker
04-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I understand your question, I really do. But, to say that people won't know who Humphrey Bogart and Gene Kelly are is hard for me to swallow. If you are a fan of movies, you'll always know who those great performers are, and John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Gary Cooper, etc. For me, that ride celebrates the "Golden Age" off movies, but at the same time acknowledges other, more contemporary films. I'd rather see them redo the stuff like Alien, Indiana Jones, etc., to be replace with other contemporary choices and leave the real classics alone.

However, having said that, and knowing of the issues they have had in the past with the tie-in to MGM, I really feel the entire attraction could be redone with Disney owned properties. With all of Disney's live action library, Buena Vista, and Touchstone. You have a lot of choices to choose from. I guess they could no longer include Miramax or Dimension, but still, there are a lot to choose from.

Don't shoot me, but they could eliminiate the tie to MGM, refresh the ride, and still keep with it's celebration of great american films.

Just my opinion.

caryrae
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I understand your question, I really do. But, to say that people won't know who Humphrey Bogart and Gene Kelly are is hard for me to swallow. If you are a fan of movies, you'll always know who those great performers are, and John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Gary Cooper, etc. For me, that ride celebrates the "Golden Age" off movies, but at the same time acknowledges other, more contemporary films. I'd rather see them redo the stuff like Alien, Indiana Jones, etc., to be replace with other contemporary choices and leave the real classics alone.

However, having said that, and knowing of the issues they have had in the past with the tie-in to MGM, I really feel the entire attraction could be redone with Disney owned properties. With all of Disney's live action library, Buena Vista, and Touchstone. You have a lot of choices to choose from. I guess they could no longer include Miramax or Dimension, but still, there are a lot to choose from.

Don't shoot me, but they could eliminiate the tie to MGM, refresh the ride, and still keep with it's celebration of great american films.

Just my opinion.

I did say kids don't know who Bogart and Kelly are. I don't know any kids who know these actors. Eventually, and I mean years from now, no one will know who these actors are because there movies will be so old. I don't think there's nothing wrong with changing up the scenes every so often. There are plenty of classics "Golden Age" movies out there that deserve to be shown too. This would help keep the ride fresh and new.

The West Side Story
To Kill a Mockingbird
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Sound of Music
Psycho
It's A Wonderful Life
The Grapes of Wrath
Gone With The Wind
Bonnie and Clyde
Ben Hur
2001: A Space Odyssey

Meteora
04-10-2007, 04:52 PM
I don't think Singin' in the Rain or Casablanca should ever be changed. No matter how long ago they were made, they will always be classics. New movies being released doesn't lessen the appeal of older ones. Casablanca is never going out of style, and I would argue that movies like that are so entwined with pop culture that most people will at least understand the reference, even if they aren't familiar with the movie itself.

However, I think Star Wars and Lord of the Rings might be good updates--and they could probably adapt the Alien and Tarzan scenes, respectively, instead of starting from scratch. Star Wars, to me, is a far more recognizable movie than Alien, and Tarzan is fading into oblivion a bit, especially since Disney themselves have updated the story and spun it into something new. I don't think PotC is necessary to add as an actual set in the ride, since it has its own ride at MK.

In the end, though, this is one of my all-time favorite rides and I'll love it no matter which movies are in it.

Marker
04-10-2007, 05:25 PM
I understand that there are people who are losing touch with who people like Humphrey Bogart and Gene Kelly are. But, as I said, "If you are a fan of movies" then they'll never be forgotten. As someone said, movies such as Casablanca are classics that will (or at least SHOULD) NEVER be forgotten. Humphrey Bogart died before I was born, and I think I've seen most, if not all, of his movies.

But, I wouldn't see anything at all wrong with TGMR showing scenes of movies such as, 20000 Leagues Under The Sea, Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, Old Yeller, The Black Hole, The Love Bug. The look at the Touchstone library and you could include Pearl Harbor, Splash, Good Morning Vietnam, Armageddon. Granted, we may not be talking "old classics" like Wizard of Oz and Casablanca, but there are some real heavy hitters in those libraries.

disneymom2000
04-10-2007, 07:32 PM
I would like to be able to travel through the dining room of the Titanic or be out on the deck when the iceberg went by. I would also like to see a Hobbit hut or pass Forest on one of his runs. I just hope they never change any of the Wizard of Oz stuff or the movie collage at the end of the ride. This is the best ride.:blush:

DisneyDude1977
04-10-2007, 08:07 PM
I think the scene from Revenge of the Sith with Yoda fighting Sidious or Anakin fighting Obi-Wan would be awesome to include!!

TiggerRPh
04-10-2007, 08:17 PM
a scene from the original superman would be cool!

Never would happen....the movie was made by Warner Brothers.

Exo
04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Are there any movies past the 80's that would be worth highlighting?? :D

caryrae
04-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I also think a scene from a Rocky movie would be great.

PeterPan
04-10-2007, 10:12 PM
You are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong if you think kids today don't know who Clark Gable, Humphry Bogart, James Cagney, Ingrid Bergman, John Wayne, and Gene Kelly and company are! Wrong! I know TONS of kids starting as early as 10 years old up to kids in their 20's who know ALL the old stars. It is such a bogus argument to say these moves are "dated." What movie ISN'T dated the week after it comes out?

Yes, I have known a few culturally deprived kids in their teens who were unaware of the old movies - I used to know a guy - when he was 18, he did not know who MARILYN MONROE was - now, talk about culturally deprived! This kid was a sad, sad case! How can you grow up in America and not know who Marilyn was? He also had never heard of Annette Funicello!!! HELP!!!

Great movies are great movies, and transcend place and time. These "STARS" will far, far outlive is all. Why? Because people like ME raise their children to be aware of these things - they are part of the American CULTURE (maybe POP culture, but culture nevertheless). God forbid that these STARS be forgotten! They are part of who we are as Americans - these STARS are known all over the world. I DARE you to name more than ONE Swedish movie star, but there are thousands of Swedes (for instance) who know, love and revere OUR movie stars of the past. The same is true literally all over the world - on every continent and every nation - HOLLYWOOD is a LEGEND and the STARS of the past who still glow up there on the silver screen are remembered by people ALL OVER THE WORLD.

NO NO NO they are not forgotten, and they never will be. Don't judge these things by your own experience or by the young people that YOU know. There are hundreds of thousands of true movie fans out there that watch old movies on a regular basis, and LOVE them - and collect them on DVD and watch them over and over. Don't underestimate these young people - they are VERY savvy and culturally aware.

My children are still in their teens and 20's. They know every single movie and every single scene in The Great Movie Ride - indeed, they PRIDE themselves in knowing every single movie in every single clip in the final movie that ends the ride.

Perhaps someday, there will be an overhaul of The Great Movie Ride. Perhaps they will add new scenes from newer movies...BUT there will never, ever be a reason to remove Ingrid Bergman, Judy Garland, Julie Andrews, Burt Lahr, Gene Kelly and the rest.

They are, in a word, immortal.

caryrae
04-10-2007, 11:17 PM
You are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong if you think kids today don't know who Clark Gable, Humphry Bogart, James Cagney, Ingrid Bergman, John Wayne, and Gene Kelly and company are! Wrong! I know TONS of kids starting as early as 10 years old up to kids in their 20's who know ALL the old stars. It is such a bogus argument to say these moves are "dated." What movie ISN'T dated the week after it comes out?

Yes, I have known a few culturally deprived kids in their teens who were unaware of the old movies - I used to know a guy - when he was 18, he did not know who MARILYN MONROE was - now, talk about culturally deprived! This kid was a sad, sad case! How can you grow up in America and not know who Marilyn was? He also had never heard of Annette Funicello!!! HELP!!!

Great movies are great movies, and transcend place and time. These "STARS" will far, far outlive is all. Why? Because people like ME raise their children to be aware of these things - they are part of the American CULTURE (maybe POP culture, but culture nevertheless). God forbid that these STARS be forgotten! They are part of who we are as Americans - these STARS are known all over the world. I DARE you to name more than ONE Swedish movie star, but there are thousands of Swedes (for instance) who know, love and revere OUR movie stars of the past. The same is true literally all over the world - on every continent and every nation - HOLLYWOOD is a LEGEND and the STARS of the past who still glow up there on the silver screen are remembered by people ALL OVER THE WORLD.

NO NO NO they are not forgotten, and they never will be. Don't judge these things by your own experience or by the young people that YOU know. There are hundreds of thousands of true movie fans out there that watch old movies on a regular basis, and LOVE them - and collect them on DVD and watch them over and over. Don't underestimate these young people - they are VERY savvy and culturally aware.

My children are still in their teens and 20's. They know every single movie and every single scene in The Great Movie Ride - indeed, they PRIDE themselves in knowing every single movie in every single clip in the final movie that ends the ride.

Perhaps someday, there will be an overhaul of The Great Movie Ride. Perhaps they will add new scenes from newer movies...BUT there will never, ever be a reason to remove Ingrid Bergman, Judy Garland, Julie Andrews, Burt Lahr, Gene Kelly and the rest.

I am entitled to an opinion and so are you. I don't think that makes me wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. You could be wrong, I could be wrong, we both could be wrong. That's why this site works cause everyone can voice there own opinions even if they don't agree.
I do bet if we were to go into most grade schools or Jr highs the majority would have no clue who most of these actors are and there is nothing wrong with that IMHO.

One thing I did say later in this thread is there are plenty of other classic movies and actors that are just as good as the handful that are shown in the GMR scenes. Why not show the love of some of these other classic movies and actors that deserve to be there just as much as the ones that are there now like Clark Gable, Charlie Chaplin, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Maureen O'Hara, and many many more. They all are just as good as they ones there now and would make a great replacement if Disney ever change up the ride. Change can be a good thing sometimes.

PeterPan
04-10-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't mean to argue, really I don't, but there is a vast difference between FACT and OPINION. You can say your opinion is "nobody pays taxes." That is simply not the truth - but you certainly have the right to say it.

I am saying there are tens of thousands of young people who love and know and appreciate the classic movies and classic movie stars of the past. That is a FACT not an opinion.

mrsgaribaldi
04-11-2007, 03:55 AM
I think that a Star Wars scene is a really great idea. I think they could cut the Tarzan area a little to make room for another scene or two. I absolutely love this ride but I wouldn't mind another new scene or two. I also liked the idea about a scene from Titanic:thumbsup: That would be awesome to see. ;)

alicia524luvstw
04-11-2007, 05:22 AM
I'd like to see :
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
Jaws

BritCody
04-11-2007, 07:00 AM
I agree with most that a Star Wars scene or two is needed and Titanic would also be a nice addition. Losing Alien or Tarzan would not bother me in the slightest either. Another addition I would try and add would be Jack Nicholson. I just don't know what scene for him would be best, maybe the court scene from a Few Good Men

MinnieMommie
04-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Classic is classic - time will not change that. The scenes they include are a part of movie history for various reasons. I like the ride as but the addition of a few scenes from newer movies would be fine too (while keeping the classics). :mickey:

Belle619
04-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I agree that the true classics should stay in the ride (Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, etc.). In fact, I would love for them to add more classics that had a major impact on the motion picture industry.

When looking at the long list of MGM movies, it is astounding the number of great ones that they had to choose from!

prttynpnk
04-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I do bet if we were to go into most grade schools or Jr highs the majority would have no clue who most of these actors are
Thats why I'd be upset if they got rid of the older movie scenes and thru in some of our 80's classics- I'm not sure that Mannequin or Blue Lagoon will stand up to the test of time- Ithink kids today would enjoy the Marx Brothers and Chaplin if they got a chance to. The GMR facade screams classic hollywood and I'd like it to stay headed in that direction.
Now please don't pelt me with your VHs copies of 'Wildcats'

caryrae
04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
How about a scene from the original Willie Wonka and The Chocolate Factory. Like the part when there in the big candy room with the chocolate river.

poeticeclipse
04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
I saw Singin' in the Rain when I was 14 and to this day it is one of my favorite movies (i'm 19 now). I know many friends who also enjoy the classics but of course, i know many who think i'm crazy because i'm not watching Van Wilder or something.

As for scenes I wouldn't mind adding/subtracting.... Alien and Tarzan could totally be taken out. I've only seen the old Tarzan once and wasn't impressed much but that really doesn't matter. I think that having Willy Wonka would be fun, maybe Silence of the Lambs, Star Wars, and The Sound of Music. If they wanted to replace Alien with a "horror type" they could use Psycho (as someone previously mentioned) or maybe The Birds.

GrmGrninGost
04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
- Forrest Gump

Raiders is in The Great Movie Ride.

GrmGrninGost
04-12-2007, 11:13 PM
I am entitled to an opinion and so are you. I don't think that makes me wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. You could be wrong, I could be wrong, we both could be wrong. That's why this site works cause everyone can voice there own opinions even if they don't agree.
I do bet if we were to go into most grade schools or Jr highs the majority would have no clue who most of these actors are and there is nothing wrong with that IMHO.

One thing I did say later in this thread is there are plenty of other classic movies and actors that are just as good as the handful that are shown in the GMR scenes. Why not show the love of some of these other classic movies and actors that deserve to be there just as much as the ones that are there now like Clark Gable, Charlie Chaplin, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Maureen O'Hara, and many many more. They all are just as good as they ones there now and would make a great replacement if Disney ever change up the ride. Change can be a good thing sometimes.

Yeah, but would your kids know any of them either?

GrmGrninGost
04-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Our kids might not know all the greats, but they do know the ones in the ride plus a lot of others.
Also, if you pay attention to the ride and even to MGM itself, they are centered around Hollywood's golden era. TGMR does a tremendous job of depicting legends from each genre of Hollywood films, and do include a few more recent films. By the way, just how did Alien get in there?

Mickey91
04-13-2007, 02:33 AM
I agree with the gost. Our kids probably know more about the old movie stars than the new ones. Mostly because there isn't much in recent years worth watching. I love Tom Hanks, but Forest Gump instead of Gene Kelly???? NO WAY!!!!! Movies today don't hold a candle to those of the Golden Age. If they did, why are all our good movies of today remakes from then????? The whole purpose of the GMR is to show us the beginning of Hollywood, of the motion picture. Not everything needs to be updated and modern. By the way, if kids today won't know John Wayne or Bogart or Gene Kelly, why would they know Katherine Hepburn or Charlie Chaplin?

bleukarma
04-13-2007, 10:52 AM
If anything TGMR does a good job of introducing those actors to kids. It seems like after the first time I rode it I was asking my parents/grandparents about the different scenes that we saw.

I do agree with getting rid of Tarzan and Aliens. Mostly because the Aliens part always scared me, even after I got older!

I know we already have one Jimmy Stewart scene but I would love an “It’s a Wonderful Life” part! Love that movie! And I think most kids today have scene it, at least once.

Speedy1998
04-16-2007, 02:09 PM
What about in 20 or 30 years from now and the movies of today are classics? I am not saying they should change but if they did what movie scenes would you like to see?

Actually Alien is almost 30 years old. Came out in 1979 if ya can belive that.

This is true now, but when GMR was built it was only 10 years old.