PDA

View Full Version : People who don't like Disney

Dakota Rose
04-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Do you know anyone who doesn't like Disney but still goes to WDW or DLR? Or someone who never has anything nice to say about Disney yet still spends the $ to go?

My inlaws bash Disney every chance they get. When I first met my SIL and BIL, they already knew I was a Disney Fanatic, but SIL wasted no time making fun of Disney. Later that year, they went to DLR. When Lilo & Stitch came out, they both thought it was "inappropriate" for kids since Stitch stuck his tongue in his nose and Lilo had anger issues. When Finding Nemo came out, my MIL made comments about how "dark" Disney movies are. Yet they are going to WDW this summer.

I've tried to be interested in their trip and share tips, etc but every time I bring it up, I get a one-word answer or they change the topic. If they come home from WDW and complain, I will probably unload on them.

So, do you know anyone who hates Disney but still forks out the bucks to go? Just to keep up with the Joneses I guess.

May524
04-10-2007, 12:01 PM
I know how you feel! Last May on our trip, my DH and I went with a couple. After any great ride, like Soarin, they weren't blown away. Nothing seemed to "wow" them. They actually said "Yeah we don't need to come back till we have kids"...which is atleast 5 years away if not more...they say this knowing not only that we worked there, but how much we LOVE it...ugh

Figgyluv03
04-10-2007, 12:37 PM
My boyfriend isn't a big fan, but then again, he's never been there. He's only been to DL once when he was younger and that in the early 80's. He's not a big fan of the movies and tv shows, but I've been slowly getting him to watch the shows and movies, but he's never said anything that bad about them.

Marker
04-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Do you know anyone who doesn't like Disney but still goes to WDW or DLR? Or someone who never has anything nice to say about Disney yet still spends the $ to go?

Actually, I'm not so sure we don't have some folks like that right here amongst us.

I think there are some people who just like to complain, even about things (or people) they like. But, that's just the nature of some folks I guess. I may not understand it, but it's just the way it is.

Likewise, there are people that don't enjoy things like WDW. But that's their opinion, and they're welcome to it just like we're entitled to like it as we do. Doesn't mean either of us is any more right or wrong than the other, just different tastes. Some people like football, and some don't; some like baseball, and some don't; some people like mushrooms on pizza, some don't; some people like rock-n-roll, some don't; some like country music ( I don't think I'll ever understand that one) and some don't. It's just a matter of different likes and dislikes, it's not right or wrong. They're just as entitled to their opinions and preferences, as we all are.

Actually, now that I think about it, my middle child likes country music, and not so much Animated Features..... hmmm, maybe he's adopted and I just don't know it

NewmanFamily6
04-10-2007, 03:12 PM
I live in a town that should really be called "ClosedMindedVille". There are a lot of people here who will never go because of what they call Disney's Gay Agenda. Their loss My gain I say:mickey:

Wolf
04-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I love when people criticise me and my mom for always wearing our Disney pins where we wait tables because the way I look at it, thats one less loser for me to have to deal with in line for Peter Pan's flight or walk into my pictures.

magicman
04-10-2007, 05:21 PM
My boyfriend isn't a big fan, but then ...

Show him the door.:thedolls:

Dakota Rose
04-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Opinions are one thing, with that I agree. But, if you don't like basketball, you generally don't buy tickets for the game, much less courtside seats. That's the thing that irks me. If you don't like anything Disney why are you going to spend 5 grand to take the family there?

mrsgaribaldi
04-11-2007, 09:33 AM
My boyfriend isn't a big fan, but then again, he's never been there. He's only been to DL once when he was younger and that in the early 80's. He's not a big fan of the movies and tv shows, but I've been slowly getting him to watch the shows and movies, but he's never said anything that bad about them.

Dh and I were not big fans either until we went for the first time together. We really knew nothing about it. I never went to websites about it. :blush: We used to talk about going and then we finally did it on the spur of the moment in 1998. I think we've been there 14 or 15 times since then. We both fell in love with Disney. Maybe he will too when he finally goes:mickey:

Caroleh
04-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Dh and I were not big fans either until we went for the first time together. We really knew nothing about it. I never went to websites about it. :blush:

This was my DH and I. In August of 2005, we went to Fort Lauderdale with some friends, they suggested that we should go to WDW sometime. I said no way, that's not my cup of tea. I'm not into amusement parks. In September of that same year, I had a salad at McDonald's which they gave me a game piece to get a chance to win a free trip to either WDW or DL. It sat on my desk for a few days, when one evening I had to work and saw it sitting there, so I called the DH to shoot the breeze. I had asked him to go to the website and entered the info...now mind you if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all..entering was all in fun because "we won't win, anyway". Boy was I wrong...we won the trip and chose to go to WDW. We fell in love with it!!! We were planning to go back in 2008, but I couldn't wait that long!!! I'm trying to figure out when we can go back again:mickey: , DH wants to go somewhere else in 2008, perhaps Key West. I got to figure out how to get to WDW out of that idea!!!!

Figgyluv03
04-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Show him the door.:thedolls:

No, he's too good to me to show him the door, but what do you think about brain washing him! Ha ha. I have so many of the planning videos, I should just put him in front of the tv and keep playing them until he wants to go.

magicman
04-11-2007, 12:59 PM
No, he's too good to me to show him the door, but what do you think about brain washing him! Ha ha. I have so many of the planning videos, I should just put him in front of the tv and keep playing them until he wants to go.

I bet if you get excited watching the videos, reading WDW books/guides, etc. that he'll enjoy seeing you get so excited about something:joy: , and he'll succumb to the magic:tink: . If not...you're dating the anti-Disney ;) .

Marker
04-11-2007, 01:16 PM
if you don't like basketball, you generally don't buy tickets for the game, much less courtside seats.

Possibly because other members of their family do want to go????

Possibly because deep down inside they really like it, but refuse to let it show for "image" sake????? Some people just don't want to expose the kid inside of them.

Possibly it's just their personality, I know some people who complain plenty about the Royals (myself included on that one), or the Chiefs, but still follow them closely and are definite fans.

Kristi Kay
04-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I totally know what you are talking about...I did the CP in 03 and my, now, Ex Fiancées mother came to see us...She complained non-stop before we Left for the Program and then when she came to visit she griped about prices/crowds/not understanding ppls obession bla bla bla! It was the longest 3 days of my life! What was funny though, was when we were on rides or watching parades, I would kinda watch her and she looked impressed, but as soon as it was over, she would make some smart remark about how it isn't as good as so and so park rides. She drove me crazy! I think she was just trying to irrate me b/c she knows I love Disney...

Cinderelley
04-12-2007, 01:49 PM
DH doesn't like Disney (gasp!). He has fun while he's there, but in his words "we've gone 2 times in the last two years. I'm disneyed out". But he loves me and knows that I like it. He offered to take me to Disneyland this summer. Now, he wants to spend some time with his older kids and grandkids and thought that they might enjoy WDW. So, we might be going back, but just because he loves us. Will he complain about somethings? I'm sure he will.

I'm not a football fan. He loves the Cowboys. Would I buy tickets to take him to a game? You bet. It would be worth it to me to see the big smile on his face! Would I complain about some things? I'm sure I will.

imaprincess!
04-13-2007, 08:00 AM
I can't really say I know people who completely dislike Disney, but I know a few who are of the "we're only going once" mentality.

:down:

nutz4goofy
04-15-2007, 12:15 PM
DH doesn't like Disney (gasp!). He has fun while he's there, but in his words "we've gone 2 times in the last two years. I'm disneyed out". But he loves me and knows that I like it. He offered to take me to Disneyland this summer. Now, he wants to spend some time with his older kids and grandkids and thought that they might enjoy WDW. So, we might be going back, but just because he loves us. Will he complain about somethings? I'm sure he will.

My DH is the same way!! Drives me crazy, but I have to realize not everyone LOVEs it like me. I grew up going to WDW so I blame my parents!! haha! I do have to say he proposed to me at the castle in MK so I tend to "forgive him" when I talk about it and he sort of ignores me or tells me "you and Disney...my god!!" :(

I will say this though, whenever we go on vacation elsewhere, he compares everything to Disney!!! Not to mention, we have a 2 month old girl now and he says he can't wait to go to WDW when she's a bit older...I couldn't believe it! I just think he's a "closet Disney lover" and just doesn't want to admit it! That would be "un-manly" of him..hahahaha!!

princessjojo
04-15-2007, 05:05 PM
My inlaws bash Disney every chance they get...

I've tried to be interested in their trip and share tips, etc but every time I bring it up, I get a one-word answer or they change the topic. If they come home from WDW and complain, I will probably unload on them.

:scratch:This is so my MIL & her husband as well as my SIL. We have taken our boys twice now with each trip being at least 8 days or more and I have been a hand full of other times on my own. We are planning another trip for next year as well as considering a DVC membership and they think it is just a waste of money. But when I mentioned the DVC they all perked up and said, that would be great, then we could all go together. :faint: Not on my points... After I have heard how hot it would be and how crowded it would be, and how expensive it would be, blah, blah...Not to mention when MIL asked why would we like to go back over and over that often. I just asked her why does she go to the mountains over and over 5-6 if not more times a year. Her response was, "it's never the same and I can see something different each time." Told her my point exactly, and if we enjoyed it and she didn't, no one was going to make her go. After all, it wasn't my idea for her to make a family vacation of it.
DH said he would stay home if his mother went anyway. No way I'm going with her for a week...:scared:
But she is good and I still love her anyway....

mrsgaribaldi
04-18-2007, 02:05 AM
This was my DH and I. In August of 2005, we went to Fort Lauderdale with some friends, they suggested that we should go to WDW sometime. I said no way, that's not my cup of tea. I'm not into amusement parks. In September of that same year, I had a salad at McDonald's which they gave me a game piece to get a chance to win a free trip to either WDW or DL. It sat on my desk for a few days, when one evening I had to work and saw it sitting there, so I called the DH to shoot the breeze. I had asked him to go to the website and entered the info...now mind you if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all..entering was all in fun because "we won't win, anyway". Boy was I wrong...we won the trip and chose to go to WDW. We fell in love with it!!! We were planning to go back in 2008, but I couldn't wait that long!!! I'm trying to figure out when we can go back again:mickey: , DH wants to go somewhere else in 2008, perhaps Key West. I got to figure out how to get to WDW out of that idea!!!!

That's a great story Carol:thumbsup:

ghost999
04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
anybody who bashes disney, spends the maoney to go, and still not like it, well then strap to a seat and tape their eyes open and put EVERYTHING Disney on a loop and see if they will change their mind. Mwahahahaha. :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
04-18-2007, 08:38 PM
I have a younger sister, (we're both Sr. Citizens), who is older now than I'll ever be. Nothing is ever right, be it a meal in a restaurant, clothing that shows any more than hands, head, and feet, and spending money at Disney. "Disney is an affront to God, and basic morality". She's the type of person that my, (our) dad used to describe as "so heavenly minded, they're no earthly good".

We're going for the 12th time in Dec., and will hear the usual, "how can you live with yourself, spending all that much money in such an un-godly place?

Get the image? She never laughs, has no social outlets, and doesn't go anywhere, EVER. I can't believe we're related.:blush:

birdie1410
04-22-2007, 08:29 PM
My dad not only dislikes Disney, he hates anything associated with it. Feels it's all a big waste of money and why do we go there every time we get the chance and spend all that money. It only goes into the pockets of the CEO's and CFO's, etc, etc. The little guy gets none. And on and on. We don't even tell him anymore when we go. In constrast, about a bazillion years ago, the whole family went to WDW-they stayed in their motor home at Ft. Wilderness, we in our travel trailer. He had a blast, enjoyed wheeling my mom around in her wheelchair, thrilled at getting to go in the "back" door for some rides. The man even bought a Goofy hat with EARS and wore it everywhere. But now anything Disney is bad. So sad.:(

kadesha
04-22-2007, 09:01 PM
my DH does not like Disney. It doesn't matter though, because he still goes and doesn't affect my good time! :mickey:

Dakota Rose
04-23-2007, 08:24 PM
I love hearing these stories. They make me :rolleyes: .

My own sister isn't a big fan of Disney. I mean, Disney World (or land for that matter) just isn't her thing. But that's okay. I know it's because she's uncomfortable with her weight and hates the heat and humidity. But she doesn't belittle Disney or make me angry. She might poke some good-natured fun at me for being a fanatic, but that's okay too.

But my in-laws (the original post people) just make me want to :sick: And I'm already gearing up for their trip report because they are (unknowingly) going to WDW the same week as Gay Days and they are quite homophobic. The idea of them in their knee-socks and sandals with zinc oxide smeared noses and tucked-in t-shirts amidst the week's events actually makes me :rotfl:

Kristi Kay
04-24-2007, 10:57 AM
I love hearing these stories. They make me :rolleyes: .

My own sister isn't a big fan of Disney. I mean, Disney World (or land for that matter) just isn't her thing. But that's okay. I know it's because she's uncomfortable with her weight and hates the heat and humidity. But she doesn't belittle Disney or make me angry. She might poke some good-natured fun at me for being a fanatic, but that's okay too.

But my in-laws (the original post people) just make me want to :sick: And I'm already gearing up for their trip report because they are (unknowingly) going to WDW the same week as Gay Days and they are quite homophobic. The idea of them in their knee-socks and sandals with zinc oxide smeared noses and tucked-in t-shirts amidst the week's events actually makes me :rotfl:

hahahaha.....i know it's so bad for me to laugh about the gay days they are about to embark upon, but if I had someone in my family who was in a constant state of dising somthing I really enjoy....I would do it too....

It is imparative that you let us know what they said when they come home.....homophobs kill me....

mdricks
04-24-2007, 04:34 PM
My entire family is anti-disney. They (5) all think of crazy. Which is fine by me cause that means they willnever invite themselves along.

But my nephews and niece on the other hand.... lets just say they open uncle matt's gifts first. :D

Bringonthemouse!
04-25-2007, 12:10 PM
They're all CRAZY :crazy: or they take themselves way too seriously. All I have to say to Disney bashers in my world is "life is to short, LIGHTEN UP!!!" :thumbsup:
On a brighter note, it just means fewer people in line ahead of me in the Soarin' que!

DisneyCastle
04-27-2007, 12:20 AM
I told a friend (very excitedly) that I was going to Disney soon and he said, "UGHHH!....Rebecca and I did that a few years ago with the boys and I got stuck going on all the rides because she said it was my turn...." blah, blah, blah

Another friend of mine (who is picky about everything and tends to complain), went to Disney a few years ago, stayed at the Poly/concierge level and all she had to say was, "Yeah, it was ok, but the food totally stank."

Anyone who goes to Disney and doesn't know how to have a good time, doesn't know how to have a good time in life...IMO:mickey:

gueli
04-27-2007, 03:41 AM

Just a suggestion: Let him know you want to go, & work on planning a trip with him to WDW.
Do not beat him over the head with it (the planning or disney stuff), as he might start to resent it. Intead be firm about making plans to go.
If things go as I would hope, he will love going to the parks. Just give him a chance to enjoy being on vacation (make sure you do something he likes while there).
If he cares for you, as much a you care for him...all will be well.

On topic:
My family loves WDW.
Some people don't. They are not a problem. They do not travel on vacation with me
:mickey:

TINKERBELL_82
04-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Trust me, you can make him "one of us". ;) When I first started dating dh2b he wasn't a big WDW at all. After the 1st trip he took with me, he bought an AP!!! :D

Mickey91
04-27-2007, 09:21 AM
My parents aren't much on Disney. They go to the beach every year and from their point of view: they get a suite with a kitchen for what we pay for an All Star room, ocean view, they can cook there own meals(like I want to do that on vacation!!:funny:)and save a bundle of money. I know Disney is expensive. We eat more mac 'n' cheese because of it, but it sure does help to put reality behind ya for a while.

My mom came with us one year and couldn't stop complaining about paying 2.50 for bottled water!! Then she compared the size of our room at the Poly to the ones my sister stays in on business trips etc. :(

My DS gets a lot of snotty comments from his friends about Disney. Most of them have never been and just don't know about it. Some think you have to be in a place with 47+ roller coasters in order to be cool and have fun. Oh well. Like someone else said, that's just less people for me to wait behind!:mickey: