PDA

View Full Version : Help me with our first SSR visit

Here we go again...
04-10-2007, 10:01 AM
We are staying at SSR for the first time in July.

We know we are going at a very busy time of the year but booked at this time on purpose... to make us stay at the resort and relax.
We were able to get all of the ADRs we wanted (dining plan). Our planis to spend most of the days at the resorts and go to the parks in the evening and for EMH.

So, here are a couple of questions:
1. What section of SSR sould we request and why?
2. If we stay in Congress park, is it a long walk to the main building and main pool?
3. Do they have refillable mugs?
4. Is there a charge to play tennis?
5. What is the cost for a round of golf, and can my DH play alone?
6. I know there is no food court, but is there enough of a selection at the Artist Pallette to satisfy a 12 yr old?
7. are the chicken strips real, or processed nuggets?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

TheRustyScupper
04-10-2007, 12:31 PM
1. What section of SSR sould we request and why?
. . . Springs - close to main areas

2. If we stay in Congress park, is it a long walk to the main building and main pool?
. . . 10-15 minutes

3. Do they have refillable mugs?
. . . yes, but food area is far away from rooms

4. Is there a charge to play tennis?
. . . no

. . . $109, $55 after 3:00pm
. . . they can put him into a group

6. I know there is no food court, but is there enough of a selection at the Artist Pallette to satisfy a 12 yr old?
. . . probably

7. are the chicken strips real, or processed nuggets?
. . . real

Maleficent's Dad
04-10-2007, 03:51 PM
As DVC members, your husband can purchase the DVC Golf Membership. It costs $50 per year and gives very discounted golf rates at all 5 (soon to be 3) courses. Check the DVC website for further details. He can still use WDW golf website to make tee times using this membership.
The convenience of the Lake Buena Vista Course to SSR is second to none. You are literally staying at the only Disney resort with a pro shop actually physically attached! (Shades of Green comes close.)
I've seen many singles or doubles get out on their own - but only during slower times. They will normally pair him up with another 1-3 golfers. :golf:

DVC2004
04-10-2007, 04:37 PM
I can't answer all your questions, but I recommend staying in the Carousel section. It's newly opened. It is not walking distance to the main palce/pool/restaurant, but it is the first bus stop. You can take an internal shuttle over to the main building. You will always have a seat on the bus.

Artist Palette- not my favorite restaurant. Limited choices, counter service, busy at breakfast and dinner.There are OK choices even for picky eaters. Thier flatbread pizzas are good. You can also take a ferry over to DTD for food.

Golf- discounts available for DVC members. Check the website. Tennis is free.

GreenBeetle
04-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I'll throw my :twocents: in to the mix here. We stayed in The Springs section and were very happy with that area. It's closest to the main pool, restaurant and gift shop. However, one thing I always like to point out is that it's the last bus stop to and from the parks. Sometimes the bus if crowded/full by the time it gets there in the morning - probably even more so during the busy summer months. But there's always another one to come by soon.

The food court is not bad. I think a 12 year old would be fine there. But at breakfast time it can be a zoo! (One thing SSR could do is add another food area for such a HUGE resort ;) ).

It's really a beautiful resort. I think you'll enjoy it. Have fun. :cool:

MinnieMommie
04-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Our first choice is Congress. Has its own pool and hot tub, is an pleasant walk to DD (around 10 minutes), is about a 5 minute walk to the main building and has easy on/off access in regards to bus transportation. Free tennis, yes refillable mugs, golf questions answered. I like Artist Palette (good tasting food with basic choices) but usually opt to eat at DD. The fitness center is quite nice as is the spa. :mickey:

Fortgoofy97
04-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Our first choice as well is Congress Park! Two reasons: short walk to DTD and its own quiet pool. The Main pool is nice but in the summer it will be quiet noisy. The first time you walk from CP to the Main House it seems quite long but then you get there and its does seem as long going back! Artist Pallette is limited in choices but my DD seemed to like the choices. Tennis is no charge, Golf will let you swing alone if it is slow. We have stayed here often and its totally enjoyable in CP!

Pirate Granny
04-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi There...we will be staying at SSR next week, and I haven't put in a request...where is the new area located and I thought I read elsewhere that there is a new pool???? Someone else mentioned an updated map...if you could send me the link by private message that would be wonderful...

As for golf...my husband goes everytime we're at Disney...It's one of the ways that I get him there so often...and we're disappointed that they will be consolidating Eagle Pines and Osprey Ridge... However the course at SSR is his least favorite and is the least expensive (figures)...however, they do have a 'deal' but you have to ASK for it when you make reservations...it's the play two rounds for $180...and that's for anytime (not just the after 3pm times) within a three month period...hubby once played in Sept for the first round and then November for the second round...of course, he had to pay the $180 for the first round...also they will keep and move your clubs from course to course, a real bonus, and no clubs in our room...and he is a single golfer and really enjoys being put with other golfers...mostly he tries to be one of the first tee times in the morning, so he can join me in the park...since the taxi's is free to and from the links, he's had them drop him off at the park on occasion...

Hope this helps...:cloud9:

Carol
04-12-2007, 10:23 AM
We always request Congress Park. We like overlooking Downtown Disney and being close to the Marketplace walkway. My kids like to swim at night and use the quiet pool there. (The slide closes at the Main pool at night - so no biggie there.) Not to mention it's much nicer sitting at the quiet pool than the main pool. The views are amazing at night!

There is plenty to choose from at Artist Palette. I have kids. They usually get the pizza or chicken.

Someone else mentioned an updated map..

FireMickey
04-12-2007, 01:08 PM
We stayed in The Springs and liked the fact that it was so close to the main pool and community hall. Both of which the kids enjoyed.

Here we go again...
04-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:
I am getting so excited, it seems like my trip will be here before you know it! :cloud9:

GAN
04-16-2007, 07:17 AM
I'd suggest Congress Park. It's a no more than a 5min walk to the main pool, plus you have easy access to the quiet pool. My kids enjoyed the main pool but it was overcrowded with many younger children -and they didn't think the slide was that great. They had the quiet pool to themselves and it was much more relaxing for us. In addition, it's a 10min walk to DTD.

Maleficent's Dad
04-16-2007, 11:15 AM
To update my previous post re DVC Golf Membership:

Pay annual fee of $50
Rates on all courses:

1/21 - 4/25, 18 holes costs $89, 9 holes $20
4/26- 9/30, 18 holes costs $30, 9 holes $20

Short of a CM discount, there really isn't a better bargain for golfing! Especially if you golf several times annually!

Here we go again...
04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
To update my previous post re DVC Golf Membership:

Pay annual fee of $50
Rates on all courses:

1/21 - 4/25, 18 holes costs $89, 9 holes $20
4/26- 9/30, 18 holes costs $30, 9 holes $20

Short of a CM discount, there really isn't a better bargain for golfing! Especially if you golf several times annually!

Wow, with these prices you almost have to buy the membership.

Here is another question:
If my DH purchases a membership, can he get anyone else in at that price? For instance, if DH and DD play together do they both have to have a membership, or can he pay for both people and get the discount?

Maleficent's Dad
04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Wow, with these prices you almost have to buy the membership.

Here is another question:
If my DH purchases a membership, can he get anyone else in at that price? For instance, if DH and DD play together do they both have to have a membership, or can he pay for both people and get the discount?
One membership is good for up to four golfers - so your husband and 3 guests can play at those prices.
Officially, DVC member must be present with ID. (I've never been asked for my ID.)
The golf membership, along with the DDE, have got to be two of the best "bargains" that you can get at WDW! :thumbsup:

locodemickey
04-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Are these after a certain time of day or can you start early in the morning?

dolphinmickey9170
04-21-2007, 09:08 PM
We will be staying for our first trip home in 13 days....I asked our guest relations person some of the same questions asked previously....

We requested Congress Park as well, the view is awesome, and we were told that it was the most requested building. On our check in day, there is no other rooms available--completely booked.

Congress Park has a great view of DTD, but you are only a five to ten minute stroll to the main buildings. If you are unable to walk that far, there is an on-site van that will take you from point A to point B.

There is a new map that just came out for the property, all nice and laminated.

There is a nice walking path to DTD as well. I hope you have a great trip. Ours is coming quick, yours will too.

I'm too excited to sleep...........:cloud9:

Maleficent's Dad
04-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Are these after a certain time of day or can you start early in the morning?
Tee times for 10 AM and afterwards.
(Knock wood) I've never had a problem with securing a 10 AM tee time. And this time - at least to me - works perfectly! :thumbsup: