PDA

View Full Version : Water parks for a non-swimmer

DisneyCouple07
04-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi everyone, I was wondering if you need to know how to swim to enjoy the water parks. I have been to Disney 3 times (not a whole lot from what I have seen on some members signatures), but I have never ventured to any of the water parks. My wife and I were thinking about going and I was concerned as to which of the two (BB or TL) would be better- especially for a non-swimmer. One other consideration, has anyone had problems with contact lenses coming out on the slides/attractions- I know glasses are a "no-no" and I can barely see 5 feet in front of me without mine. Thanks in advance. :mickey:

merlinmagic4
04-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm not really a swimmer. I live less than a mile from some great ocean beaches but it's not really my thing :blush: I really enjoyed the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon but I have to say that I did not venture onto any of the slides. My kids did fine, though and my daughter was not a swimmer when we last went so I think you will be fine :) Hopefully someone will come along with more specific information!

DisneyCouple07
04-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks so much. I too live near a couple great beaches, and I have been to a couple water parks. I was just a little freaked when I saw a picture of a sign that said "Should be a strong swimmer for this ride" (something to that affect). :mickey:

wdwfamily531
04-10-2007, 11:41 AM
I've been to both waterparks and think you would be fine in either. Even for the slides, most empty out into about a 3 1/2-4 foot pool(Some are turbulent when you come out though, so you may want to check before you go on them). As for contacts coming out, i wore them both days we went to the waterparks and didn't have any trouble.

DisneyCouple07
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the info- just needed a little reassurance—and you gave it to me. Thanks again. :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
04-10-2007, 11:53 PM
I get severe migraines without my glasses. I use a strap sold at Disney for four dollars and use this to hold my glasses on. I have never heard or have been told that glasses are a no-no. As for the swimming, my DH is not a swimmer either, but he just loved the wave pool at TL. The lazy river is his fav, even the slides. He couldn't bring himself to go down the huge slide, so he watched us. Have a great time.

thrillme
04-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Either of the parks you can survive FINE without being able to swim a stroke.

Contacts. I wore mine for the first 3 years of our Disney experience then I got Lasik. I never lost them once.

Of course I ALWAYS carried one or two spare pairs on vacation (they're so cheap now). Totally unrelated to water parks (we were at SeaWorld) I accidently lost one when some dust blew in my eye. Fortunately my paranoia about losing them paid off and I just popped in a spare.

alicia524luvstw
04-12-2007, 05:49 AM
I can't swim either. Pretty sad as I've lived in New England all my life. Anyhow, I don't like the water parks but my family does so we spend a day at one of them. I will go on the lazy river and wade in the wave pool while they do the slides and such. I love lounging in the tubes on the lazy river.

Crow
04-13-2007, 08:21 PM
this applies to me too.
May will b 16th trip and never been to the waterparks. i dont swim much, havent for yrs. and i wear contacts (so whats Lasik like?)
so i guess i should try them sometime...but it would cost more

PirateLover
04-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong (as I have only been to Blizzard Beach, and that was only 1x) but i thought most of the slides did NOT empty into a pool and on those that did you were usually on an inner tube...
I am a poor swimmer myself and I had no problems at BB... we plan on trying Typhoon Lagoon this may...