PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about your first time....

Marker
04-10-2007, 08:34 AM
My first time, at WDW, was in the early spring of 1983. I was a young parent of 23 years old.

My oldest was about 18 months old. We were staying with relatives on the Atlantic coast. My wife's cousin worked at WDW and got us in. It was just a day trip the MK. We had a great time, but the Disney Magic didn't really kick in. I do remember Carousel of Progress, and thought that was really cool. IASW became a favorite that day as well. I also have a distinct memory of my first ride on the Haunted Mansion, as a kid I had a record of the Haunted Mansion, all of the sounds, plus a little bit of a story line to go with it. I didn't make the connection until I was on the ride, and realized "I know this". Also on this visit were my wife's cousin, my mother in law, and my wifes aunt. Our son was passed around from relative to relative all day long. At the end of the day, as were talking about the fun we had, we discovered, that every time we passed him off, he'd point to the Carousel (Merry-Go-Round) because he wanted to ride it. Turn out he had about 15 rides on it that day.

We also took a day to visit the new EPCOT CENTER. I thought it was really cool. I loved the educational aspect of it, but it was very hard to stay with the rest of the family because we found different thing interesting. I think I mostly remember Living With The Land, I thought that was so cool. And I distinctly remember Dreamfinder and Figment, my son LOVED them, and he also loved playing in the jumping water streams (I think he still does, and he's 25 now).

We returned in November of that year, just before DS1 turn 2 (while he still flew free). Again my wifes cousin got us in free to MK and EPCOT Center. And of course, from the first moment of walking into the MK, our son was pointing to the Carousel, he hadn't forgotten about it.

But after that we didn't return until 1999, this time with 3 kids, and paying our own way in.

merlinmagic4
04-10-2007, 10:16 AM
We first went in 1998. Our oldest son was just one year old and we had a tough first year with him medically. A friend of my mother-in-law gave us a week at a timeshare in Kissimmee and we decided to drive down during April vacation.

Animal Kingdom was just opening (that week I think) and we didn't go. We also didn't go to Magic Kingdom because I wanted to save that for when he was older. We did go to Epcot and then to Sea World. I don't remember even knowing about MGM.

It's funny that I knew NOTHING about Disney. That's why I never make fun of newbies :thumbsup: because we were completely clueless. But we had a good time anyway.

The next time we went was with the Make a Wish Foundation in 2003 and that is when Disney won me over completely!!! They were so absolutely wonderful to us that I knew we were going back as often as possible. I started researching timeshares and looked for over a year before settling on one. I did look at DVC but it was way to expensive at the time. I got our week at Vistana for 3800.00 so now we can go every year if all else works out in our favor!

Great thread :thumbsup:

ibrowse17
04-10-2007, 02:59 PM
October of 1975 was my first trip. I was 7 years old, and we stayed at Ft. Wilderness. The whole family went, and I mean all my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. In those days it was only the MK, Cont, Poly and FW. Treasure Island was open, and you could swim in Bay Lake! FW had a train that you could ride, which was way cool for a 7 year old! It was a great trip, and I cried like a baby when we left. :thumbsup: Still do 32 years later...

magicman
04-10-2007, 05:30 PM
I first went to WDW 23 years ago. EPCOT was talking about opening this new pavilion called "The Living Seas". Obviously, there was no MGM or AK.

I was 17 years old at the time, and I thought I was cool.:cool: I fell in love with WDW because the magic overcame me and turned me into a kid again (which at 17 you should still be). I remember it all started when I was overcome by the moment & begin waving at characters during the parade.:hi: :mickey2: The trip ended with me carrying around a stuffed Figment souvenir (which I still have) :figment: & realizing that it's good to be a kid.

DVC2004
04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I was 3 and half only. It was 1979. I don't remember a ton. I remember the Castle, meeting Eyeore, going on Dumbo with my dad. My memories are few but precious because my dad passed away the following year. He loved Disney and I know he would love to see it now and how it's changed. I am so glad I got to have that one trip with him.

wrfd18
04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
My first trip was in 1975 at the age of 5. I don't remember parts of the trip. My mom, dad, and sister also my aunt, uncle and 3 cousins.

I remember my dad getting stung by a stingray the day before we were going to go to Disney.
Walking up Main Street and seeing Pooh come out of the Castle and I took off running towards him. Because he was my favorite character. Needless to say when my parents caught up to me I got talked to. I also got lost by 20,000 Leagues, being found by a CM and taken to a ticket booth until my uncle found me.

Nick Mc
04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
I dont really know if you are looking for Disney Parks in general or WDW.. So i'll tell you about my General one.

My First trip was to Disneyland in 1992, i was about to turn 7. That was the only think i looked forward to while in Southern California. The only 2 characters I really wanted to meet were Mickey and Launchpad McQuack. I think I was the happiest kid on the planet I think when i met thouse characters. and back then the characters walked around and made it truely magical, when you found one walking around, it was like they actually lived there and not just worked. And at the end of the night i was asleep in my Aunts arms waiting for the Electric Light Parade to start.. I didnt really know what it was.. but when i saw it my eyes light up and i was in aww the whole time i was watching the parade. after the parade was over I looked at my Aunt and I said "i'm going to work here someday." and 13 years later, I found myself working at Disney World. Althought its not Disneyland, its still Disney. and I love my job! And to this day my Aunt always tells me, I admire you for making your childhood dreams come true!

GenieOfPA
04-10-2007, 07:11 PM
i was somewhat young, but i do vididly remember burying my head in my moms lap during the haunted mansion cause i was so scared, and i also remember the indiana stunt show because i loved indy! i thought he was so cool! (and i still do!)

Melanie
04-10-2007, 09:46 PM
I visited very soon after you, Marker. :thumbsup:

My first time was in the summer of '83, when I was 12. We were visiting friends in Jacksonville and drove down for a couple of days. Epcot was new and strangely enough, it's all I remember doing that trip. I don't recall the MK at all. :shrug:

We loved it so much, we went back the next year, and the rest is history. :)

Boojum
04-10-2007, 10:06 PM
It was 1978 and I was 13 years old.

My parents took me to WDW, which was at that time just the Magic Kingdom. I remember being fascinated with the 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas ride. I also remember my dad absolutely loved POTC--he made us ride it 3 times in a row so he could take in all the detail. My mom liked IASW, and bought the sheet music for me when I got home--I learned to play it on the piano.

We stayed at a Howard Johnson's near the park, which had a swimming pool shaped like Mickey's head. (My mom has a picture of me in one of the ears!)

I recall watching the Main Street Electrical Parade, and having a late dinner at Cindy's Castle. I also remember eating on the steamboat which is now called "Fulton's," but at the time it was the "Empress Lily." It seemed really fancy to me, and the waiter kept me on edge by refilling my water glass every time I took a sip! No, I'm not exaggerating!

January-2007
04-11-2007, 08:23 AM
I had been to Disneyland when I was really little, since I lived in California then. My first trip to Walt Disney World, however, did not come until 1991, when I was 6 years old. I've looked at the pictures so many times it's hard to tell what things I "remember" and what things I've just seen the the photographs, but here goes. I remember staying in a hotel, and I remember getting my sweatshirt out of the drawer there. We went in January and I had a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt. We stayed offsite. We flew. I remember my dad got picked to be in one of those little shows in the World Showcase. It was in the UK and he had to wear this hat that was like a chicken, and he really hammed it up. We went to the Biergarten, and I have scattered memories of riding 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. When I was little I swore up and down I had been in a submarine, and it turned out this is what I was remembering! We went to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and MGM. They had this really neat store/place in MGM that had all these prank things from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and it was pretty cool. My brothers and I got our picture taken with the line up from Dick Tracy and the Gummi Bears. Both made of cardboard, where you just stand there and try to blend in. I remember walking down the street in MGM at night and seeing the light on at the theater that now plays Beauty and the Beast. We saw the Dick Tracy stage show there, it was awesome. I think meeting Mickey might have been different back then. I remember meeting a lot of characters in Frontierland. We had lunch in Tomorrowland at some counter service place, and it was the coolest thing ever, even to get burgers and soda inside the park. I got a Minnie Mouse button/pin that I thought was so neat.

I remember my second trip better, since I was 11, and I'm only 22 now, but I guess that's another post all together.

c&d
04-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I went in April of 1973. I was visiting a friend from college and we took a day trip up.

The one thing I vividly remember is the Haunted Mansion. I remember riding it wondering how they did it. The dancing ghosts, the hitchhikers at the end. I got back to NY and told my parents all about it and about 8 yrs. later they took their first trip and got hooked.

I also remember driving up and thinking there is absolutely nothing around here, why would the build it here. My goodness how things have changed.

Figgyluv03
04-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I can't remember much because I was three or four at the time, but I went with my mom, dad, aunt and her boyfriend. We stayed off property and aparently every morning I would get up and say, "Disney again, when are we going home to New Jersey." I don't know what I was smoking back then, 'cause if I could go back now, I would! Oh, and I cried when Chip and Dale came up to me.

Marilyn Michetti
04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Our first trip was in 1973. DS was 12, and DD, 10. Our first attraction was World of Motion, and I remember it so well. Back then, it was just MK and Epcot, so we just went back and forth.

I think that was our best family vacation ever.:)