PDA

View Full Version : Again with Barry Bonds

JPL
04-09-2007, 11:52 PM
How can you be chasing a record and not care if the current record holder is at the game. I applaud Hank Aaron for staying away from the game by the way. Barry let's face it you are a disgrace to Baseball and don't deserve the record.

alpro2
04-10-2007, 06:58 AM
I totally agree, Jeff. I wish this guy would just disappear. I never liked his attitude towards the game and the way he treated people, even before I read Game of Shadows.

alphamommy
04-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Hank Aaron is a gentleman, and I'm glad he won't make an effort to be present if/when Bonds breaks the record. I've never liked Bonds' attitude, and it upsets me that someone like him could be passing Hank.

Scar
04-10-2007, 09:06 AM
To be fair, Babe Ruth wasn't at the game when Aaron broke his record. ;)

Seriously, I don't think it's a big deal. You can't expect Aaron or even Selig to follow around the Giants. What if he sits on 755 for two months?

That being said, I hope he doesn't break it.

ibrowse17
04-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Bonds is a disgrace, as are the Giants for giving him a new contract.

BrerSchultzy
04-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Yes...Bonds is a joke. If he didn't do anything, he would just say "I didn't do anything, test me". He hasn't said that, so even if he IS clean, he's an idiot.

That said, I don't think Selig is doing this right (that'd be a first, right). After all, Bud Selig was present for the Yankees playoffs games last year, even after Giambi and Sheffield were all but convicted of steroid issues. If he were true to his principles (once he figures out what they are), he would have either dismissed himself from Yankees games, or promised to attend Giants games.

Just my .02. By the way, my opinion is that Bud Selig is JUST AS GUILTY (if not more so) as Barry and Rafael Palmeiro.

alphamommy
04-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Just my .02. By the way, my opinion is that Bud Selig is JUST AS GUILTY (if not more so) as Barry and Rafael Palmeiro.

I am no Selig fan, either. I've heard so many people talk about all the things he's done for the game - huh? I just don't get it.

indytraveler
04-11-2007, 10:09 AM
First of all I'm not defending Barry Bonds. If you can't throw Sid Bream out at the plate from deep shortstop you need the juice.

Think back 10 years or so and you have the strike. Fans disenchanted about losing the World Series. Come on, how can you still be a Commissioner after you give away the end of the year. What was agreed on was basically what was proposed back the previous year.

So that leads us to how do we get fans back to the games. Forget low scoring games fans want the long ball, Homeruns, etc. Mark McGuire, w/ andro hits a bunch then Sammy juices, don't forget him, and then the dam breaks and you have guys like Brady Anderson, Rafael Palmeiro, Luis Gonzalez, hitting 50+ homers a year. Barry just took the next step and hit 70. Baseball hid its face in the sand for 5-7 years when all this was going on and did nothing. That's on Bud Selig's hands.

So now when Barry is approaching Hank Aaron's mark, Bud gets all high and mighty. Wrong. You made your bed, now lie in it. If ever there was an asterisk* needed it is now. What the last 10 years did to the game of baseball and it's record books....

Do I want Barry to get the record? NO. I hope he's too injured and and physically unable to hit even 1 more homerun. However, his legacy will live on.

That's my :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: I'll get off my:soapbox: now.

Thanks for the rant.

Donald A
04-11-2007, 10:56 AM
This is what sports is all about. You have thugs in every major professional sport. Pro sports run the world. We have taxes dollars paid for new stadiums by people who will never even attend a game. Barry Bonds is a selfish thug and just one small part of a sports world that needs a reality check.

SandmanGStefani24
05-29-2007, 05:31 PM
i think he should have all his home runs taken from him, as should sosa, mac, palmiero, et al.

How can we prove which were legitimate and which weren't?

Also, doesn't it seem funny that since the BALCO scandal all the big home run hitters are gone and all the big home run numbers went away? Coincidence? Yeah right...

disneyfan369
05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Question! Wasn't it pratically confirmed that Bonds took steroids? Or am I thinking of something else?

SandmanGStefani24
05-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Question! Wasn't it pratically confirmed that Bonds took steroids? Or am I thinking of something else?

you are correct. his "doctor" who gave him the roids admitted to it, and several players admit to seeing him use and posess them. unfortunately, his 5th ammendment rights protect him.

disneyfan369
05-29-2007, 08:06 PM
you are correct. his "doctor" who gave him the roids admitted to it, and several players admit to seeing him use and posess them. unfortunately, his 5th ammendment rights protect him.

That is absolutely stupid! What a jerk.

Juniorunc2001
05-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Barroid Bonds is a joke.

He needs to break the record, retire, and never speak again - just like McGwire.

The record will get broken, but it will always be Hank Aarons - he was a true gentleman and a great ball player.

He is a joke, and will always be a joke.

CleveSJM
05-30-2007, 03:56 PM
I think they should put his pharmacist's name on the record with him. It should be in the books as: "Bonds/Dr. Smith - 780 HR's."

Same with Mac, Sosa, Raf, etc. :thedolls:

Juniorunc2001
05-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I think my favorite story is Jason Giambi.
He apologizes, but doesnt say what for. Of course, he is with the Yankees - they are a perfect match.

Scar
05-30-2007, 04:45 PM
i think he should have all his home runs taken from him, as should sosa, mac, palmiero, et al.This cannot, nor should it, happen (with the possible exception of Palmiero.) Prior to 2003, MLB had no policy regarding steroids. None. There is no way you can punish a player for doing something that was not against the rules. I have read the new rules regarding steroids and even now, all that is addressed is testing and suspensions (50 games for 1st offense, 100 for 2nd, lifetime for 3rd.) Even now there is no provision in the rules to take away statistics from cheaters. Should there be? Absolutely IMO. But only for anyone caught since 2003, (Palmiero) and only for any stats achieved since 2003. I’m sorry, but there is just no way that MLB, which did nothing when they knew it was going on, can take away records and stats when there was no rule saying they couldn’t do steroids.

CleveSJM
05-31-2007, 09:39 AM
This cannot, nor should it, happen (with the possible exception of Palmiero.) Prior to 2003, MLB had no policy regarding steroids. None. There is no way you can punish a player for doing something that was not against the rules. I have read the new rules regarding steroids and even now, all that is addressed is testing and suspensions (50 games for 1st offense, 100 for 2nd, lifetime for 3rd.) Even now there is no provision in the rules to take away statistics from cheaters. Should there be? Absolutely IMO. But only for anyone caught since 2003, (Palmiero) and only for any stats achieved since 2003. I’m sorry, but there is just no way that MLB, which did nothing when they knew it was going on, can take away records and stats when there was no rule saying they couldn’t do steroids.

I disagree. Whether or not MLB had an official rule about steriod use or not is not the issue. They knew they were cheating and it was wrong. It was illegal drug use. If they did it out in the open and said "Hey, I'm on roids because it's legal and my doctor prescribed them" then I would agree with you. They didn't. Give them the dreaded asterisk and let them skulk in the shadows of legitimacy like Rose...

Just my :twocents:...

Scar
05-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Whether or not MLB had an official rule about steriod use or not is not the issue. They knew they were cheating and it was wrong.But how could they be cheating if there was no rule?

It was illegal drug use. Many players have admitted / been accused of using illegal drugs in the past and none of their stats were taken away.

Give them the dreaded asterisk and let them skulk in the shadows of legitimacy like Rose...I think this statement actually proves my point. Rose does not have an “asterisk”, he owns the hit record. He is banned because he broke a written rule.

CleveSJM
05-31-2007, 09:23 PM
But how could they be cheating if there was no rule?

It was an implied rule. I'm pretty sure they knew use of illegal performance enhancing drugs was cheating. If not, admit it and I'll agree the stats should stay. Don't admit it (because it was cheating) and get the asterisk.

Many players have admitted / been accused of using illegal drugs in the past and none of their stats were taken away.

Perfromance enhancing drugs? Nope.

I think this statement actually proves my point. Rose does not have an “asterisk”, he owns the hit record. He is banned because he broke a written rule.

My Rose statement was about his shunned status not about his records. Bonds will and should be shunned. He already is by Hank and that's good enough for me.

Ian
06-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I hate Bonds just because he's such an arrogant jerk. Steroids or no steroids, I'd still hate him.

He's the epitome of the spoiled, above-it-all pro athlete that I just can't stand.

The Barry Bonds' and the Michael Vick's of the world are ruining pro sports.

Scar
06-04-2007, 09:32 AM
My Rose statement was about his shunned status not about his records. Bonds will and should be shunned. He already is by Hank and that's good enough for me.Oh, I totally agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get voted into the Hall of Fame for the first couple ballots. He will eventually because he probably deserved it even before he did steroids. McGuire, Sosa, and Palmiero may never make it.
It was an implied rule.Well, I guess we'll just have to disagree. Sorry, but I just don't see how you can punish someone for an "implied" rule.

SandmanGStefani24
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
I hate Bonds just because he's such an arrogant jerk. Steroids or no steroids, I'd still hate him.

He's the epitome of the spoiled, above-it-all pro athlete that I just can't stand.

The Barry Bonds' and the Michael Vick's of the world are ruining pro sports.

You know, the sad thing is many athletes forget what made them want to be a pro athlete. I can't help but think about T. Owens after he caught his first TD pass. The guy openly wept for joy that he had finally been able to achieve his dream. That kind of emotion is what sports is really all about, but that gets forgotten after a few paychecks it seems.
And as far as Michael Vick goes, he made some poor decisions, but at least he's not a cheater.

pshokie
06-05-2007, 03:18 PM
And as far as Michael Vick goes, he made some poor decisions, but at least he's not a cheater.

I am a "I Bleed Orange & Maroon" Hokie. Before last season, when it just became too impractical, I had season tickets to Virginia Tech since 1992. 14 years. I saw Micheal in college and in person. I rooted for him. I did the same for his brother.

I must strongly disagree. He did not make poor choices. What he made were fully thought out, rational decisions.

And his decisions were very , very wrong.

To label them anything less, would be to almost treat this as an "accident" or a "mistake". No such thing. This was done with complete intention and forethought. No mistake here.

As such, I am completely and utterly disgusted by him. If (and it looks like it will) he is found guilty, I will not shed a tear.

Sorry, off my :soapbox:

SandmanGStefani24
06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
well i do agree with you, maybe my choice of syntax was not correct there.

what happened in the Vick home? Both Vick brothers have messed up big time and have shown a clear lack of respect, decency or remorse.

pshokie
06-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Sorry bout that. Hit a nerve, it wasn't you it was me. Its one of those things that makes me feel bad for ever liking the guy.

As for the family, all I can say is that the area they come from does not have the best reputation. It is considered a very "hard neighborhood". Michael was their ticket out. Unfortunately, I think too much of the neighborhood got ino their system (Michael and Marcus') and now it haunts them.

Just like how the players from Miami call it "The U", the high school players from Norfolk/Va Beach/Hampton Roads call it the "757". Any time you get a nickname like that, it never is a "realy good thing". Its more like bragging how tough you are than how proud you are.

As for the Vick/Boddie family, I know that Brenda Boddie (M&M's mom) had several kids, all before Micheal hit it big. I can only hope and pray that those kids avoid making the same decisions that their elder siblings have.

Jasper
06-05-2007, 05:45 PM
By the way, my opinion is that Bud Selig is JUST AS GUILTY (if not more so) as Barry and Rafael Palmeiro.

AMEN!!!

The players know that as long as both the league management and the individual team management continue to put money as their top priority then they (the players) are never going to have to take the drug policies seriously. What makes this all so sad is that this is the same attitude in other sports as well!

Having been a Human Resource Manager for many years it is frustrating to me to have to fire some guy making $10.00 an hour for failing a drug test and knowing that they are going to go home and watch a rich jerk like Bonds make millions and flaunt his use of steroids in everyone’s face!! It’s no wonder that there is a growing class division in this country.

Mickey91
07-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Well, I personally think that if they are not going to kick Bonds out of baseball for using illegal drugs, they need to reinstate Pete Rose. I know gambling can become a problem and be dangerous, but I would much rather see my child idolize a man who never cheated in the game and gave 110 percent on the field than a no good scum, making millions for cheating and using drugs. It makes me sick:sick: that Bonds is still playing. And even more that he will more than likely be put in the HALL. When that happens, the HOF will mean nothing.

mttafire
07-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Imho..Bonds is only half the player Pete Rose was. Pete was the best ever...he WILL make the H.O.F. before his death!:thumbsup:

SimbaandNalasMama
07-15-2007, 10:36 AM
thanks for the thread, very thoughtful things going on here...

has anyone noticed the BLATANT disappearance of the players who you know were juiced? I mean, they are all as small as 15 year old girls...claiming they ate better and tried a new workout routine...please. I was SHOCKED to see what Pudge looked like at the all-star game. OMG! workouts and eating better, PUH-Lease!!!!

Husband keeps making a funny point at how big Barroid's (love that, am going to use it now) head is now. and he means physically. another side affect of those lovely cheater drugs. Next time, check out the size of his melon! and if you happen to catch one of the million stories or interviews :ack: check out how his teeth are all spaced out now...uh his head is growing growing GONE. roids, anyone?

Long live Hank Aaron!!

Proud Braves fan since 1980 (yes, even in the dark, ugly years :blush:)

sonayo74
08-01-2007, 08:36 PM
This is what sports is all about. You have thugs in every major professional sport. Pro sports run the world. We have taxes dollars paid for new stadiums by people who will never even attend a game. Barry Bonds is a selfish thug and just one small part of a sports world that needs a reality check.
How is Barry Bonds a thug? He's a rude jerk and most likely a steroid-using cheater, but a thug? That implies that he's violent or that he's a "gangsta" or something. Just a minor nitpick of mine: "thug" has become a code word for a lot of professional athletes these days and I hate to see it thrown around when it's not warranted.

DisneyGiant
08-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Welp - he did it.

hip hip hooray <- said sarcastically

I wish he'd just 'fess up and state that he did it, yada yada yada - he could say that he HAD TO - to compete with everyone else doing it (one of "their" arguments)..........

Then they could officially put an asterisk next to it.

Hopefully Ken Griffey Jr or Alex Rodriguez will break it again anyway.

Hammer
08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Welp - he did it.

hip hip hooray <- said sarcastically

I wish he'd just 'fess up and state that he did it, yada yada yada - he could say that he HAD TO - to compete with everyone else doing it (one of "their" arguments)..........

Then they could officially put an asterisk next to it.

Hopefully Ken Griffey Jr or Alex Rodriguez will break it again anyway.

You are making the assumption that Rodriguez or anyone else hadn't used anything. Not every steroids produces obvious mass. Look at the pitchers who have been caught with steroids. There are just as many rumors about pitchers taking steroids pre-2003 as there are position players. To portray like Bonds was the only one is kind of simplistic just because the guy is a nasty to people.

DisneyGiant
08-08-2007, 11:18 AM
To portray like Bonds was the only one is kind of simplistic just because the guy is a nasty to people.

Nope - not because he's nasty. I don't even "know" the guy - as I am an AL fan on the East Coast - so I have no idea what he or his team is doing other than the media reports I read.

I know there are others - Giambi (confessed) Sheffield (sort of confessed by ignorance), Palmiero (got caught in drug test), Sosa (shrunk in size), etc.

How I presumed he (Bonds) took steroids? The info leaked out of the grand jury - and the photographic evidence of his body size changing.......

I am not saying take the record away from him. In my fantasy world - I'd like for him to admit he did it, thus placing an asterisk on it.

battlefield2freak
08-08-2007, 11:32 AM
he can chase the HR record all he wants and break it which he did because for one was hank playing when the previous holder before him had the record? i dont think so. hank even made a video in advance to show at the 756th HR celebration last night and he didnt mind. also i have only seen 1 person say anything about the pitchers who threw the ball at him, they have all been scared and trying to walk him intentionally but the pitcher from the nationals last night took the advice and went for him. theyre are pitchers who take steriods, and there are also different types of steriods. you dont know which kind he used so you cant accuse him of using them if you dont know which kind. all im saying is you need to stop being so critical of barry and let him keep the record.