PDA

View Full Version : Words of Wisdom?

JMTStone
04-09-2007, 06:04 PM
After 8 years of being a non-smoker, I started again in February (business trip out of the country - on my own). I'm not near the pack-a-day habit I was at back then but I've decided to NIP THIS THING IN THE BUTT. I'm on the patch (worked last time) and chewing gum like crazy. Been a little cranky and a LOT distracted. Even WDW planning is too much to think about.

1 Day down.....

sleepingbooty
04-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Bravo to you for nipping it in the bud now, after only a few months. My mother quit smoking for 7 years, then she started up again on the sly - just taking puffs off a friend's cigarette at lunch. Then in a time of stress, she started up full time. This was about 12 years ago, and the addiction is worse than ever. You don't want to end up like that! Just hang in there - the worst is probably over! I'm rooting for you:thumbsup:

MsMin
04-09-2007, 06:49 PM
sending the "stop smoking" :pixie:
Best of luck to you.

Ian
04-09-2007, 07:46 PM
I'll be off the sticks for 6 years in July. I kind of assumed that all the temptations are behind me, but that sounds like it might not be the case. I better keep on my toes!

And kudos to you for recognizing that it's best to end this relapse right away before the addiction really has time to take hold. Good luck!! Be strong ... remember, you did it once you can do it again!

Terra
04-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Kudos to you for nipping this in the "butt"...lol!!

You've made it through the day!! I KNOW you can get through tomorrow too!!

check this out! These are the benefits and what happens when you stops smoking!!

*Time since quitting
*Beneficial health changes that take place
8 hours
Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood reduce by half, oxygen levels return to normal. Circulation improves.

24 hours
Carbon monoxide and nicotine eliminated from the body.

48 hours
The decline in lung function and excess risk of lung cancer halts.

1 month
Appearance improves – skin loses its grayish pallor and becomes less wrinkled

3 - 9 months
Coughs and wheezing declines

1 year
The excess risk of a heart attack reduces by half compared to that of a smoker.

15 years
Risk of heart attack falls to the same as someone who has never smoked.

And this is how long those pesky withdrawl symptoms will last!! NOT to long....you CAN do it!!!

Irritability / aggression
Less than 4 weeks

Depression
Less than 4 weeks

Restlessness
Less than 4 weeks

Poor concentration
Less than 2 weeks

Increased appetite
Greater than 10 weeks

Light-headedness
Less than 48 hours

Night-time awakenings
Less than 1 week

Craving
Greater than 2 weeks

Taken from http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact11.html

mrsgaribaldi
04-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Good for you to quit again:thumbsup: This Nov will be 10 years of not smoking for me.:mickey:
Just remember you did it before and you can do it again:number1: Smoking is the number one risk factor for heart disease that we control. Keep thinking that too.
Once you have stopped for awhile you can never even take just one puff. That will put you right back again. I know that if I could do it, anyone can :pixie: :pixie: (try to avoid for a while situations where you used to smoke, such as drinking at a bar with friends, etc)

Good luck and keep us informed. I know you will do it :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Scar
04-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Do you believe in God? If so, pray and ask for His help.

Good Luck!

DizNee143
04-10-2007, 09:13 AM
i quit back on Jan 13th..so its been almost 3 months...
like everyone else has said..if you did it once already..you can do it again...just dont give up on yourself!!! you know it may be a bit hard but you can do it!!!
and yuck i tried a ciggie last week...GROSS!! lol i swear it was like i just licked an ashtray..i was kinda dissappointed...cuz i finally gave into the craving and i was sooo turned off...but i know its better that it was like that...
keep it up and you'll get trhough it!! :)

drummerboy
04-10-2007, 09:39 AM
What I haven't missed in the 35 years since I quit cold turkey:

--Smelly clothes
--Smelly hair
--Smelly house and car
--Nasty breath
--Yellow teeth
--Extra wrinkles
--Nasty ashtrays in car and home
--Cigarette burns wherever
--Fire hazards
--The expense (they were about 30 cents a pack when I quit, I can't imagine keeping up with $3 a pack).
--Cravings
--Having to keep lighters/matches
--People bumming cigs from me
--Hacking and coughing
--Shortness of breath

Need I say more?

Tinkerfreak
04-10-2007, 12:27 PM
First of all good for you for deciding to take control back. We are all here to support you so whenever you are craving a cig just picture all of us wearing our mouse ears and cheering you on. Take one day at a time and just decide "I am not going to smoke today" then just keep going. My Dad smoked for years and quite and all it took after 8 smoke free years was one puff and he was right back at it. His doctor put him on Wellbutrin to help with the moodiness thank goodness because he was so crabby we were all ready to shove a cigarette in his mouth ourselves. He said it really helped him alot. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Bethanymouse
04-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Congrats on beginning a healthier life. The thing to think about is you know you are capable of doing it, you have already done it! Maybe an incentive would be to put the money you would spend on the packs into a disney fund? Best of luck!:mickey:

magicman
04-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Do you believe in God? If so, pray and ask for His help.

Good Luck!

I agree with Scar. Also, pray for something to replace the habit. You can't just leave a void (maybe a diet coke break).

JMTStone
04-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Still SMOKE FREE. Doing good. Treated myself and children to dinner and then hopped on the treadmill (250 calories).

I've ear-marked cigarette money into my "Lion King" fund. Its in nearby Cleveland on my birthday. I want to see it for the 4th time.

During the day, I've been playing with paper clips. I made a Mickey :mickey:

Thank you all for your support....

Jeff
04-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Good luck!
You can make it.:thumbsup:

JMTStone
04-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Tickets arrived in the mail today!!!! Still not smoking, still doing that darn excercize machine. By the time we hit Disney in November, the kids will have to keep up with me!:simba:

JMTStone
04-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Still going strong. Starting to read Intercot instead of the quit smoking forum. I missed WDW.

mrsgaribaldi
04-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Keep up the good work:thumbsup: You can do it:mickey:

Christine
04-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Good for you! Keep it up! :thumbsup: :number1: :woohoo:

ChipDale
04-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Way to go! That's one habit that I am thankful that I never started. I've heard it's one of the toughest things to kick. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Damon18
04-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Congratulations you are doing great! Keep up the good fight!:thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
04-18-2007, 05:14 PM
congrats on sticking w/ it. Good Luck.

JMTStone
04-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Congratulations you are doing great! Keep up the good fight!:thumbsup:

But especially you DAN. Supporting me even after knowing I was from Pittsburgh.... You guys sure did take the Penguins!

Damon18
04-19-2007, 10:56 PM
But especially you DAN. Supporting me even after knowing I was from Pittsburgh.... You guys sure did take the Penguins!

LOL...well some things are bigger than hockey! Not many but... yeah what can I say the Sens finally showed up in the playoffs .