PDA

View Full Version : Seeing too much 'backstage'

limajoja
04-09-2007, 01:09 AM
My friend's high school student recently went to WDW over Spring Break with his high school band to perform in MK. While they were backstage preparing to march down Main St., the band members saw some of the characters 'out of character'. :spoiler: Mickey was sans headpiece and Snowwhite was smoking. I realize that the kids were backstage and that this is where the cast members are able to relax. However, these high school kids are still guests, not Disney cast members. I was surprised to hear that Disney is not more careful with their characters' behavior in front of these kids. Even as an adult, I know that is something that I wouldn't want to see. :( :confused:

WDWdreamer87
04-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Although I agree that seeing a mutilated Mickey Mouse and a un-healthy Snow backstage could be gut-wrenching, I have to admit that they have the right to do it.
Backstage is the "Green Room" for Disney entertainment. How else are they going to relax when they have tons of people wanting to tug on their dress or have a panic attack when they meet them? I would highly doubt it would be safe and/or healthy to have a Mickey head on while on break.
So, it was a sad tail that the high school kids had to see it, but...that's entertainment! I think they would still be excited to tell friends of what they saw, obviously since you posted this! Just Disney Magic in a different light!

PrincessEmmasMommy
04-09-2007, 05:57 AM
I did the parade 2 times in the 90s while in H.S. and saw several characters backstage, and I have survived just fine. Relax, this will not traumatize the teen. Have a great day!
Jen

limajoja
04-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not worried about anyone being traumatized - just a bit disappointing. The kids had a wonderful time and the whole experience was very exciting for all of them. Just making a comment...

joanna71985
04-09-2007, 02:19 PM
This is why the backstage tours have a minimum age of 16. This is because backstage the characters are allowed to unwind. So I am sorry they saw these things. But this is what backstage is for.

heart4princephillip
04-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I was able to participate in 3 parades at Disneyland while I was in band, and honestly, it was pretty cool seeing all the backstage stuff (broken ride cars, characters on break, etc.).
We felt a bit "priviledged" to be able to see, and be a part of, the "other side of the wall."

marlyn
04-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Mickey without his head? Are you implying he isn't "real"......crushed....;)

ccp1
04-10-2007, 10:10 PM
My choir and I are leaving next Thursday to perform for our 4th Magic Music Days, and I now make sure to prep them for the idea that 'Backstage' at Disney is quite different than 'On Stage' (they even know to look for the change in ground color that signifies the sightlines. Since many of my students are also budding actors and actresses, they really get into the concept of 'what the audience sees on stage is different than what is backstage'. It's fun for them.

The Magic Music Days director's manual considers the bands and choirs 'Disney Guest-Performers', with a number of performance-rules to make sure that their performance is up to "the Disney Standards that our park guests expect". So, for the time that they are backstage and on-stage, they really aren't considered guests, and the director probably could have prepared them for what they would see.

BelleandtheBeast
04-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Well, everyone has to wind down sometime.

Figgyluv03
04-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Although I wasn't a CM in the parks, I did get to see a lot of back stage and have been in the tunnels numerous times. Trust me, what you have seen won't ruin your magic as much as what I have seen!!!! I'll just leave it as that!!!