PDA

View Full Version : Is it that much?

Rick Blaine
04-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Many people who post concerning the DDP comment on how much food you get. I certainly think the food is a good amount, but it is not like I have to stuff myself to finish it all. DDP contains three food “items” each day: a full sit down meal, a counter service meal, and a snack. I view the counter service as the equivalent of a McDonald’s meal, burger, fries, soda and maybe a little dessert. The sit down meal is usually filling, and includes appetizer, main course and dessert. This is what I usually will have when I go out to eat on special occasions (and vacation at WDW is a special occasion). This leaves one additional snack or soda during the day. Are these two meals and a soda or snack really that filling for an adult for a day?

I thought maybe something I might be missing is that many people get a full breakfast oop each day, but the DDP itself, I don’t think it is a complete pig-out.

Strmchsr
04-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Well, if this is the amount of food you normally eat, then of course it wouldn't be a big deal. For us, though it is a ton of food and much more than we normally eat, regardless of cost. For the sit down meal I do a main course. Period. Don't want an appetizer and I rarely do dessert. Or if we do, it's one that whole family splits, not one per person. As for the lunch, again, I rarely ever do dessert and the portions are significantly larger than a normal McDonald's meal. I'm not complaining about this, as you definitely get a lot of food for your money, but for us the DDP isn't worth it because we don't want all of that food.

January-2007
04-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Okay, so I have yet to be on the Dining Plan, but seriously, we don't eat that much. The idea of an appetizer, entree, and dessert or full buffet for every night of our stay? That's a lot of food! :sick: On our last trip I ate mostly kids meals when we were at the resort, and we did the whole split the double cheese burger ask for an extra bun thing. We're hoping for free dining in September, just so we can feel like we're going for broke (without the whole broke thing) and experience some new things, but yeah, it sounds like a heck of a lot of food. On our last stay of 9 nights we went out to lunch 3 times and dinner once. Growing up we went out to dinner once a trip. It's different.

Natazu
04-09-2007, 02:10 AM
For the most part, we find the dining plan to be enough food, not too much or too little. There have been times we didn't want all of a meal, but there are times I don't want a whole meal at home. We generally finish our TS dinners though. ;)

Oh, a side note. I wouldn't compare DDP CS to a fast food joint. There are many, many CS places (Tangierine Cafe, Tusker House, Sunshine Seasons) that serve excellent food way beyond the size and scope of McDs. The Shwarma Combo Platter at Tangierine Cafe can easily feed two people and is amazingly good.

MMouse6937
04-09-2007, 11:31 AM
We also find the dining plan to be a lot of food on average, but kinda feel like we're on vacation and that's what I like to do. Last year we were left with about 3 CS credits left, I just couldn't eat anymore. We did use all of our snacks, mostly on water bottles which was really nice. Sometimes we would split both the CS or TS meals and found that this not only maximized our credits, but didn't make us feel stuffed for the rest of the day. I just think regardless of whether it's free or not, it's a great value. Plus we like the option of paying for our meals ahead of time, it's just one less thing I have to worry about!! :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
04-09-2007, 11:40 AM
I just think regardless of whether it's free or not, it's a great value. Plus we like the option of paying for our meals ahead of time, it's just one less thing I have to worry about!! :thumbsup:

Use the Intercot DDP calculator for comparison purposes. If you're not using all of your credits, it's not a good value at all. You'd do much better OOP.

bdm@pga
04-09-2007, 11:44 AM
What we found to be the best advantage fo teh dinning plan was the use of the meals as Character dinning. When we added up how many character dinnings we could get out of the plan, and then how much they would cost if we did them on our own...the savings was incredible.

cinderella crazy
04-09-2007, 11:55 AM
For us,the dining plan is an excuse to order food we normally wouldn't. I never eat all of the food. I'll have a taste of an appetizer, eat some of the entree, and a little dessert. It's more of an indulgence kind of thing.

poeticeclipse
04-09-2007, 02:57 PM
For us,the dining plan is an excuse to order food we normally wouldn't. I never eat all of the food. I'll have a taste of an appetizer, eat some of the entree, and a little dessert. It's more of an indulgence kind of thing.

Exactly! I can't imagine going to to eating burgers and fries from counter service ever again. Although, I do love those cheese fries at Pop's food court! I would never normally go to sit down restaurants but with the DDP I feel as though I can afford it. It makes me feel that much more special to be in the "DDP" club. I can also understand how those guests that don't want to or can't use the DDP must hate how difficult it is so get ressies now that the DDP is in full swing. I would probably have a hard time knowing that I used to be able to walk into a table service restaurant and get a table within minutes, but now, its almost impossible.

NJGIRL
04-09-2007, 03:19 PM
The dinning plan would be too much food for my family, but we are small eaters. We only have one big meal per day and even that meal would not have an app, main course and dessert. It's just too much food for us especially all at once.

My other major problem is that I hate wasting food. I can't stand to see whole plates of food thrown away with just one bite taken out of them. It's just a shame and I try not to do that.