PDA

View Full Version : Can I upgrade a child to an adult?

disneykat
04-08-2007, 07:34 PM
We are heading to Disney in September. I have an 8 1/2 year old that prefers adult food versus hot dogs and other children's menu items. Does anyone know if I can purchase an adult ticket for her so that I can get the adult dining plan for her? Thanks for all of your help!!:mickey:

TiggerRPh
04-08-2007, 07:55 PM
We are heading to Disney in September. I have an 8 1/2 year old that prefers adult food versus hot dogs and other children's menu items. Does anyone know if I can purchase an adult ticket for her so that I can get the adult dining plan for her? Thanks for all of your help!!:mickey:

Hmmm....would Disney take more money from you than you would normally pay? Yeah...I think they'll let you do that.

I guess I would think about whether he'll eat enough food to make it worth it....my 11 year old won't.

wendy*darling
04-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I believe you could, but you'd also have to purchase an adult park pass as well.

Another option would be to stick with what she is eligible for now (a child's pass and DDP) and supplement by ordering an appetizer or other foods out of pocket if she can't find something to eat. At TS restaurants the kid choices are not all burgers and fries. There are other options as well.
Also- if you do buffet meals- no one is limited in which foods they choose. Kids can take food from the "adult" buffet and adults can choose foods from the "kids" buffet.

Strmchsr
04-08-2007, 08:06 PM
The only hesitancy I would throw up about this is that if Disney is offering the free dining discount in September as has been widely rumored, they might be a little more strict on age. That's a guess and not based upon any hard facts. Just something to check into.

TiggerRPh
04-08-2007, 08:12 PM
I believe you could, but you'd also have to purchase an adult park pass as well.

Oh...good point. I hadn't thought of that. I don't see a problem in them letting you do it..I'm just not sure that it's worth the added expense.

I don't think you'll be able to exclude him and pay for his food because everyone in your party must be on the plan if I understand it correctly.

Niecyboo
04-08-2007, 10:24 PM
My DDs are the same way, and we found that buffets and family style restaurants were our best solution. At other TS places we never had a problem because there would either be something more "adult" on the children's menu or we'd just all share whatever we ordered. I'd get a touch of Mac and Cheese, and they'd get a little of my appetizer and entree. It actually worked quite well. Especially if you go look at the menus at Intercot Central and choose your restaurants carefully.

sacandjac
04-08-2007, 11:12 PM
This is what we did for our May trip. My daughter will be 9 when we go , but she is not too interested in kid's menu so we put her age as 10. We initially booked her as 9 then we saw the new children's menus and asked our travel agent if we could book her as an adult, and there was no problem.

Jasper
04-08-2007, 11:49 PM
JPL already beat me to the punch on the issue about the park pass. We had this same issue a while back and were told by the folks at Disney that because they put the ages of their guests into the system, it would not allow you to get one part of the package as a child and the other as an adult.

I would follow the suggestions some of the others have made about choosing buffets, family style restaurants, sharing, or buying a little extra if the "kids" plan doesn't give them what they want.

tyandskyesmom
04-09-2007, 01:38 PM
I have not tried it (because my kids are perfectly happy with plain ordinary kid's foods unfortunately!)but I have been told that you should be able to get a child sized version of an adult entree at most TS places. At Akershus in Norway, the waitress even said they will make an adult sized version of the kids menu for an adult if need be....just ask before you order, I'm sure the waiter can let you know if it is possible.

And I do not think it would be worth the extra expense of the park pass, for me it would kind of defeat the purpose of the dining plan!