PDA

View Full Version : The "I'm here for a convention!" solo trip report-finale

tron80
04-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Departure and final thoughts(I might as well post this now,since there are a lot of interesting trip reports lately).

I woke up at 10am to a nice,cool(but not freezing) Sunday morning. I ate breakfast and watched the top 7 show nonstop until 11am. I got a message in my phone saying that,since I used the credit card for charging priviliges in the room key,I didn't need to go to the front desk to check out. I can go grab my boarding pass.

Since I was with bags that are not going to be checked in,I learned this the hard way. At the ME desk the system collapsed for an hour. Since I wasn't checking bags,the lady told me to go to concierge to get my boarding pass. I waited in another line and later I got it with no problems. Another way I could've got it is to print it at the business center(you have 10 minutes free to access the web and print,after that it's $6 per hour),so if anyone is staying at CSR,take note on that. I went to the Pepper Market later on and wasted my last counter service credit,the fajitas were good as usual and I had the best soft-serve vanilla ice cream around..I miss it dearly. I went to the luggage room(you can leave your bags here if leave later),and I got on the ME bus at 2. The bus stops at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Pop Century,no wonder it leaves early.

At MCO the security check lines were moving rapidly,there are a lot of stations,more than Dulles airport,I'm impressed. I went to the awesome peoplemover and got to the other terminal. I hung out at Cinnabon(yum) before the 5pm flight to IAD. The flight had no problems,thankfully,so I've arrived at Dulles at nearly 7. Next I grabbed a cab to go join my parents for dinner at their house near the D.C area. We had a nice meal and talked about how was the trip and everything. After our dinner my dad dropped me off at my apartment. Finnally,I was home,feeling ready for college work and vacation memories that will not fade easily.

Now for some backstory. I started planning the trip back in June,then I had no idea what my off dates were going to be,so I had to wait until the end of October. One simple Google search for discounts,lead me here,to Intercot.
I was going to WDW near President's day,but I had seconds thoughts,and those second thoughts cost me $300 more,Peak season had begun at WDW. Would I pay those $300 to skip the crowds? Yes,and I don't regret it. Now I did saved some money,the discount included park hopping and water parks. Plus I've added the dining plan to boot and it was worth it!

Now let's see if I can summarize the highlights.
The good:
-Pretty much everything at Coronado Springs
-Nearly deserted buses
-Visiting Epcot 3 times
-Meeting people from all over the world
-The fastpasses that were given to me at MK
-The 'Ohana character breakfast
-Character connection at Epcot
-Spoodles and Teppanyaki
-Everest & Mission:Space
-Riding the TTA
-Doing the MK mountains 3 times
-Riding on ToT 7 times
-Lights,motors,action
-Fireworks
-Putting the top 7 nonstop in my room(I love that Stacey)
-Seeing my high school buddies again
-Going solo,and having to avoid going "commando"
-Turtle Talk with Crush,dude
-Being a kid again

The bad:
-Having to get a cab for CompUSA at Orange Blossom trail on Wednsday. I left my laptop charger at home by mistake,so I had to go get another one. Total cost of fare+charger+tip+tax=$158. UGH. :mad: I rarely used the laptop,next time I wouldn't mind leaving it at home.
-Some room noise
-Leaving? Yeah that's pretty much it.

Now for the million dollar question:Is it fun to go to WDW solo? It depends. First I want you to do a simple test,go to the movies alone,go shopping alone. If you feel confortable doing this,you're ready. Eating alone takes some getting used to,so be prepared. But the greatest thing about going solo is this:having the freedom to do exactly what you want,finally it's all about you. Go nuts.

Now I am planning to return to WDW in the next 2-3 years. I am trying to avoid going in summer. As a kid I was known to stand over 2 hours in Splash Mountain,but times have changed.Parasailing,boating and taking a park tour are among the things I would like to do next time. When I was asked by my friends about why did you go to WDW of all things,I had told them that I was there for a convention(not!). I could've told them was that I:saw a Yeti,talked to some pirates,had a mission to Mars,talked to a turtle and had breakfast with Lilo & Stitch.
You know,I think of WDW as a class. And that class is "On how to be a kid again 101".

OK,I'm done. Thanks for reading everyone. Cheers! :mickey:

January-2007
04-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for reporting! I loved your final thoughts. So glad your trip was so much fun. Now the true test to see if you are a real WDW fanatic, will you disappear into the great unknown or continue on your quest of all knowledge pertaining to WDW for your future trip, said 2-3 years from now... Only time can tell... :mickey: :D

Jimenyfan
04-09-2007, 07:59 AM
glad you had a good trip:thumbsup: sorry about the computer charger:mad: .

grego77
04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
thanks for all the reports. I enjoyed reading them, since I may be going solo within the next few months and I am ALSO a college student (grad student to be exact!). :thumbsup:

Thanks for the insight!:mickey:

pdrlkr
04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

magicman
04-09-2007, 02:26 PM
You know,I think of WDW as a class. And that class is "On how to be a kid again 101".

Well said.

I believe that if every person could go to WDW every few years, the world would be a better place. It would be hard to become an evil dictator after being doused with a good dose of Disney magic every couple of years.

tron80
04-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks for reporting! I loved your final thoughts. So glad your trip was so much fun. Now the true test to see if you are a real WDW fanatic, will you disappear into the great unknown or continue on your quest of all knowledge pertaining to WDW for your future trip, said 2-3 years from now... Only time can tell... :mickey: :D

Glad you liked it. You know,I don't post much but I like reading on what is new at WDW sometimes and I am a park history fanatic. I also like to read other people's experiences here at the trip reports board. Thanks for the comments everyone.

faline
04-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Glad you enjoyed Coronado Springs! It's my favorite moderate resort!

Sounds like you had a really fun trip!

Thanks for your reports!

pogo
04-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Thank you for sharing your vacation with us. It was very interesting. You had a wonderfull time and it really showed in your writing. I had a wonderfull time reading them.:D

ChipnDaleGal
04-11-2007, 09:43 AM
It seems that your solo trip was a great success!! Thank you for all the effort that you put into your reports. They were very entertaining to read. :mickey:

Bethis26fan
04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks for sharing your trip.

tron80
04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Oh,it seems that I have a couple of new readers. I've been reading your comments in other parts of my trip reports. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and glad that you guys enjoyed them. I had a lot of fun writing these. :mickey:

DizNee143
04-12-2007, 01:40 PM
sounds like you had an overall great time!! thank you for sharing your trip with us!! :mickey:

satchel01
04-12-2007, 01:57 PM
I loved reading about your trip, thanks for posting. :mickey:

imaprincess!
04-19-2007, 03:27 AM
I love this post! It's so full of Disney World wisdom! And gosh, now I realize I am ready for a solo WDW vacation because I am TOTALLY at ease going out alone. WOO HOO!
:woohoo: