PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Oceaneers Club...

DisneyRN
04-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I would like to know about the check-in process, typical activities, age groups, etc.

Has anyone ever had problems or any complaints? Do they live up to Disney standards?

DD did the Kid's Club at Beaches at Turks & Caicos last year. She liked it because the Seasame Street characters showed up throughout the day. I was kind of unimpressed.

Any insight would be great. :girl:

Kenny1113
04-08-2007, 09:40 PM
From what I have heard from people who have gone, the kids LOVE the club. Everyone I have talked to say that the kids don't even want to leave when the parents come to pick them up!!! That's about all the insight I have into it for now, after we cruise in May, i can fill you in better:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
The Oceaneer's Club is for potty-trained kids ages 3 to 4 and 5 to 7; the Oceaneer's Lab is for kids ages 8 to 9 and 10 to 12.

My DS turned 11 on our cruise and was in the Oceaneer's Lab. I just asked him if he had any problems or complaints and the answer was, "Yeah... I had to leave." His favorite activity was "everything." I do know that he really enjoyed "steering the ship" (on the Wonder, this equipment is in the Lab; on the Magic, it's in the meeting rooms on the second deck) and playing on the gaming systems (Game Cube... some things never change).

Check-in was very easy; only on one occassion did I have to wait while they were changing activities. The staff was friendly and always greeted us with a smile. Overall, I was very pleased and DS enjoyed himself there.

As for a sampling of typical activities, check out the timetables on page 2 of the Navigators I posted on another thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=101135).

Hope that helps!

TammiMcMan
04-10-2007, 11:54 PM
The club seemed to have more character interraction and surprise visits than the lab. Guess it's because of the younger age group. My daughter was old enough to be in the lab on our first trip, so unfortunately, I don't have any first hand experience with the club aspect. I do know that she planned her entire day around the lab activities. She loved going to meals with the group, then she would sometimes join us in the dining room before rushing back to the club to make flubber. The activities varied and sometimes they would be with kids their own age, while other times, the lab would be sort of open and they could mingle with the other age group.

We didn't give her sign out privelages and I liked the added security of the wrist bands, family password and having a pager. I was very impressed and thought it definitely lived up to Disney standards. My daughter loved every second she spent there and made friends pretty easily. She's that type of personality though. It sounds like your daughter would be comfortable as well.

DisneyRN
04-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I read in the Birnbaum's Cruise book that if the child is in one month of the next birthday, then they can move up to the next group.

DD will be turning 5 a week and a half after our cruise ends, and we are kind of celebrating her birthday on the cruise. But I want to keep in the 3-4 year group. I don't think she is ready to play with 6 and 7 year olds, and the activities listed for the 3-4 year olds seem more her speed.

Is that okay, or will they want her with the 5-7 year olds? :(

ElenitaB
04-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Mary, being that she is on the "cusp" of turning 5, they will more than likely observe her for a few hours before assigning her to a specific age group.

The CMs who work with the children are very experienced... I liken them to the the folks that work at the emergency back-up day care facilities I've taken my son to in the past. These were by far the most professional and capable day care providers that I had ever met. They have a great knack for connecting with the kids and figuring out where they belong socially and developmentally.

However, if you say that you don't want her daughter with the 5-7 year old group, I'm sure that they will absolutely obey your wishes.

TammiMcMan
04-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Is that okay, or will they want her with the 5-7 year olds? Officially she is placed in the age group, based on her birthday. If she's 4 on the cruise, that's where she'll be assigned. It's up to the parents to request a move up, if they feel the next age group would be more appropriate for their child. DCL won't automatically just put her in a 5 year old group. If you have any concerns though, just talk to the counselors when you board.