PDA

View Full Version : Respect for Astro Orbiter...

mttafire
04-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Ok, I know Astro Orbiter is a glorified carni-ride..BUT!! Lets hear it from all the A.O. lovers! We ride it everytime we go to the M.K. Its high up and actually fun. Great views of Tomorrowland and it is a classic. Oddly enough i dont get nausiated on it.(i cant do the tea cups). Certainly im NOT the only fan of this ride....Am i?:blush:

marlyn
04-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Certainly im NOT the only fan of this ride....Am i?:blush:

:sick: :ack:

Can't do it...but I know many love it and it is a classic. Nothing wrong with a glorified carni ride..look at Dumbo!:cool:

angedeaile
04-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I didn't think I would get dizzy or anything on it during my first ride ever back in August, but I got close.

Try taking a picture of someone in a rocket, two back....while going up and down and around. :sick:

Fun ride though. Can't wait to go on it again in December! Awesome view!

BelleandtheBeast
04-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I will be riding this on my next trip, it is just tradition.

PirateStitch
04-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Astro Orbiter is an awesome ride. Why? Because after you ride it once and realize how it makes your stomach churn :ack: You then can't wait to bring someone else who hasn't ridden this ride on it !!!! Its just one of those rides that can make you feel a little sick, but is great to take someone else on without telling them !!! Sorry, I"m horrible. But honestly, great respect for the ride. The wait can be terrible. But the views are incredible. I was on it last year during the MNSSHP during the Wishes Fireworks... And it was breathtaking.

TiggerRPh
04-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Too high up for me....went on it once...never again.

:thedolls::thedolls:

LudwigVonDrake
04-08-2007, 08:08 PM
I never had the urge to ride it..

A Big Kid
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
I dont get it. I am 5'5" on a good day, not overweight by any srtetch of the imagination and I carely can fit in the rocket.

Goes4FastPass
04-08-2007, 08:33 PM
The rockets are tiny and the ride is higher than it seems. It's a big thrill, especially at night.

Exo
04-08-2007, 09:06 PM
I remember in the 80's going to MK it was the most fearful ride to me. My best friend dared me and I dared him to go on it. We had the time of our lives. A wonderul ride! :thumbsup:

kakn7294
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I hate waiting in line for this ride and I hate cramming myself in that little rocket, but the view is awesome! My DD7 loves it and in December I took my nephew 4 for his first trip - it was great.

poeticeclipse
04-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't mind the heights and it is a bit of a stomach churner, but what really gets me is the feeling that you're going to fall out. The first time I rode it I had my hands gripped to the side so tight I couldn't even enjoy it. The more I go on it now, the more I just relax and try to ignore the feeling that i'm going to fall out.

Kenny1113
04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I had never ridden the ride ( or had the desire, thought it was like dumbo ) until a year or so ago, we were killing time and DS wanted to ride. I was wrong! It's like this great little deceiving thrill!!!My DS5 loves it !!!

PirateStitch
04-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I totally understand about the unfriendlness of the size of the rocket.... Its an uncomfortable ride, but memorable.... and yes its a tad bit scary especially minimal seatbelt.... But its something you have to experience at least once !

PhilHarHarMagic
04-08-2007, 10:46 PM
We had never riden it before our trip last March.

It was great fun - deceptively faster than it appears, but not scary to me.

I'm 6-6, 235 lbs and was able to fit in a rocket comfortably (by myself!)

Kristi Kay
04-08-2007, 10:49 PM
I LOVE THE AO!!!! I ride it every time! And it does have a fantastic view of tomorrowland!

c&d
04-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I love this ride, particularly at night.

Jared
04-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Astro Orbiter looks spectacular from the ground. Unfortunately, the visual effects are replaced by dizziness and motion sickness once in the air.

The best part of the attraction is looking at the impressive structure while crossing the bridge to Tomorrowland en route to Space Mountain.

A seemingly endless line does not help the ride, nor does the slow loading time.

4ubie1
04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I really can't handle the twirlie rides :sick: but I do think it adds a fun touch to tomorrowland. And i bet it has a great view too :D

Disney Doll
04-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I love the views especially at night. It's kind of deceptive from the ground. It goes much faster than Dumbo, but I never felt any motion sickness. If it were just a little slower, you could probably take some great photos from up there. I do agree about the small rockets. DH and I rode together last time :crowd: and we will be taking our own rockets from now on.

heart4princephillip
04-09-2007, 03:11 PM
I don't mind the heights and it is a bit of a stomach churner, but what really gets me is the feeling that you're going to fall out. The first time I rode it I had my hands gripped to the side so tight I couldn't even enjoy it. The more I go on it now, the more I just relax and try to ignore the feeling that i'm going to fall out.

ME TOO! Love this ride...my kids do too.

darthmacho
04-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Astro Orbiter is a classic WDW ride, that I suppose is underrated.

What I don't like is the way it loads. The whole elevator thing makes riding it a questionable decision.

What I like about it is the unique views of MK, and WDW that it offers. I recall seeing the Contemprary, Castle, and other landmarks quite well from there.

What I love about it is the way that it enhances the theming of the land in which it resides. Tomorrowland would just not be the same without it, especially at night!

Mickey 101
04-10-2007, 12:24 AM
This was one of the first rides my son and I ever rode at Disney World. That was a very memorable ride, but now its a must ride at nighttime for the great views all the way over to the Contemporary. This past trip, it did seem like the tilt on the rockets was even more than we remembered, though. My DD 14 was even nervous. They didn't change it on the last refurbishment, did they?

The Bookseller
04-10-2007, 08:45 AM
The Astro-Orbiter ia a "Dumbo-Type" ride with a twist; it' on top of a building and spinning inside of an art sculpture.

The trill is there all right! The AO is faster that the rest of his "Family" and I am always scared by the idea of hitting one of those planets.

That Ride is a must do at night, especialy when the Castle is illuminated.

On the downside, an elevator is needed to reach the launch platform, making a slow-loading ride even slower. But it's a small price to pay for a great experience.

BronxTigger
04-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Oh! I went on this for the first time in August 2006 (my last trip). It was never something I had any interest in riding, but I was having a solo morning in the MK, and there was NO ONE on the line for Astro Orbiter. So, I says to self, why not? I went on, and there was one mom with a little kid that came on with me. I thought the size of the rocket was fine, but I'm only 5'5" and I was by myself. It felt like I was sitting in a bathtub. The breeze on my face, combined with beautiful views was great! And, because there was no line, the guy let me ride 4 times in a row without getting off! I'd go on it again anytime, as long as the line was not too long!:thumbsup:

indytraveler
04-10-2007, 09:38 AM
A seemingly endless line does not help the ride, nor does the slow loading time.

The Astro-Orbiter ia a "Dumbo-Type" ride with a twist; it' on top of a building and spinning inside of an art sculpture.

On the downside, an elevator is needed to reach the launch platform, making a slow-loading ride even slower. But it's a small price to pay for a great experience.

I don't do it very often. Line wait has to be under 30 min. It just seems to last forever. It is actually faster than Dumbo and Alladin's Carpets so it's a little more than a carny ride.

2Epcot
04-10-2007, 09:45 AM
I can't say I love Astro Orbiter. I've only ridden it two or three times. It is fun, but on most visits I skip it.

MinnieMommie
04-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Astro Orbiter (aka jet stars) is among my favs. Unfortunately everyone in my family is not in agreement here so unless my youngest is with me (and not with her siblings) I go on alone. DH does not like this ride (go figure). A great view of the fireworks too! :mickey:

mttafire
04-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Glad to see im not the only fan of A.O. Its one of those underrated rides. Thanks for all the replies.:mickey:

WDWfanatic742
04-11-2007, 12:05 AM
To be honest, this might be one of the few attractions that if anything I have been on it once but then that's it. Always seems like there is a huge line for some reason also.

mrsgaribaldi
04-11-2007, 03:48 AM
I don't mind the heights and it is a bit of a stomach churner, but what really gets me is the feeling that you're going to fall out. The first time I rode it I had my hands gripped to the side so tight I couldn't even enjoy it.

My thoughts exactly!!! We did it once and I thought I was going to fall out the whole time. I couldn't enjoy it. I think I will try it again next month and try to look around at night at the view:blush:

RAIDER
04-11-2007, 03:51 AM
For me this ride is merges the old and the new in Tommorrowland and woe betide disney if they ever try and replace it :mickey: :thumbsup:

Belle619
04-11-2007, 09:46 AM
I've never been on AO because I get dizzy way too easily, but Tomorrowland wouldn't be the same without it! It does so much for the theming of that land - the rockets reminding us that future exploration was and is space travel- I would never think of it as just a carnival ride!!!

mdricks
04-11-2007, 10:50 AM
The loading is a bit goofy but the ride is fun. It is the next step for the "too big" for Dumbo (who are not really too big but just want you to think it!) My boys 8 and 5 say its a must!

Got some great pics on that ride.

DeFester
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
for as many times as i have been down, ive never rode it because it just looked like a carny ride, and i couldnt justify the line (which is always really long)

however, when i go down this June, im gonna have to try it out now :mickey:

King Triton
04-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Went on AO for the first time two years ago. It was OK, nothing spectacular. I'd ride it again as long as the line isn't bad. I don't think its worth more than a 10 minute or so wait.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-12-2007, 12:51 PM
I dont get it. I am 5'5" on a good day, not overweight by any srtetch of the imagination and I carely can fit in the rocket.
I can agree with this!! We always passed this one up till last year. My husband and I decided to ride it. Our son opted out. So off we went. Both of us sat in the same car and all I can say is OUCH! The whole time we rode it all we could focus on was what was being pinched or squeezed! Kinda funny when you think about it. The CM could of told us to ride seperately to be more comfortable! You do have to tell them how you were riding. In hindsight I can sit here and laugh about it. It had to be pretty comical looking seeing two grown adults shoehorned into a tiny rocket car. I cannot imagine the faces we were making!:D After all that the ride was not that enjoyable. Just a spinney rocket thing, although when I wasn't wincing in pain the views were pretty nice!

Jerry2
04-12-2007, 01:28 PM
The AO is as much of a WDW icon as the castle or Space Mountain. It’s one of those rides that when you see it for the first time on your trip you get that warm WDW feeling.

It is not a “MUST RIDE” on every trip for us, but if we catch a short line we get on it. As others have said the cars are very uncomfortable. Every once in a while my wife and I will try to ride together (sometimes I’ll get just a little fresh :thedolls: ). We are both about 5’9”, not skinny but not fat and we can barely get in or out of the cars.

RPHX2NC
04-13-2007, 10:36 AM
A Must Do and only at night. A tradition and really neat.

DNS
04-13-2007, 11:39 AM
I never had the urge to ride it..
Same here. It doesn't bother me that it's there, I just have no desire to ride it.