PDA

View Full Version : Donald's Breakfastosaurus Opinions

Santuitman
04-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Hello All,
We are planning a trip to Disney in September and are looking for your input on Donald's Breakfastosaurus at AK. We've seen a lot about Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace, but not a lot about Donald's. Any opinion/ experience/ info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Brian and Jen

Maleficent's Dad
04-08-2007, 02:16 PM
You will get a lot of opinions on this place - and they're very mixed to say the least...:unsure:

I've eaten here twice - once when it first opened for b'fast years ago - and back then it was a fine experience with Donald coming to tables. They only used 1/2 of the restaurant back then and the character interaction was great.

We were there a year ago February and it was NOT the same experience - they now use both sides of the restaurant (doubling the space used) and thus there is much less character interaction. We felt that they were so very very rushed...:(

In addition to the limited time with the toons, there were LONG lines for the buffets, cramped quarters, and less than stellar service.

Until they change the format of this b'fast, we will not be returning.

Jeff
04-08-2007, 02:29 PM
We have been twice also.
The first time was several years ago and it was fun. Pretty good character time and food was ok.

The last time was about 18 months ago. The Charachter time was terrible. So much so, that the handler actually moved one character along within 20 seconds (no lie) after they got to the table. No pictures, no signing, just hi/bye.

We won't be going back.

kakn7294
04-08-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm going to the the opposite opinion of the previous posts. We went in December as a group of 11. I was actually pretty impressed with breakfast here - maybe because I wasn't expecting much - but the food was very good (among the best breakfast food we've had at a character meal) and the character interaction was the same as any other character meal, they even took the time to take pictures with some of the adults in our group. We did not feel rushed and our server even played with the kids. Sometimes the buffet lines did get a little long but moved fairly quickly as you could use only 1 side but in either direction. I thought the restaurant was roomier than most as far as the table placement. My opinion is this: if you really want to do this breakfast, do it but go with an open mind and don't have high expections. You may be like me and be more than pleasantly surprised but you'll be less disappointed if it turns out to not meet your expections. BTW, we went on a Wednesday am about 9:30am - I don't know if day of the week or time make much of a difference.

asrai555
04-08-2007, 02:56 PM
If its your only character meal I would say you could find better. If you are using the meal plan and have some other character experiences plans, this is good enough. We have been twice. Once in October of 2004 and once in April of 2006. The first time was better than the second, on each visit both sides of the restaurant was open.

We do very much like the advantage of making the reservation early and starting in the park before it officially opens. If you go very early, You miss the morning part when you walk in the park and all the cast members are out with animals, but I don't think that is a big deal.

Last time we have something like at 8:40 reservation. We got in the park early but still some cast members were out for the awakening. It was the best of both worlds. Plus my kids got to ride prim. whirl a bunch of times with no line.

SBETigg
04-08-2007, 03:45 PM
We really enjoyed our Breakfastosaurus experience. The food was okay, lots of it, good variety. The character interaction, for us, was fantastic! We had a lot of attention from characters, especially from Donald and Goofy. They kept coming back to see us. We were seated off in a room on the side with two other tables. We saw quite a bit of the characters and had a lot of good quality time, no rushing at all. So apparently, that varies. The atmosphere is rustic cafeteria(not the best, but well-themed and it sets a mood).

Two good things about Breakfastosaurus:
1) If you take an early ADR, you can get into the Animal Kingdom early, before park opening, and just walk around, plus be at attractions early when the ropes drop.
2) You don't see a lot of Donald around the parks, so this is a great way to get in some Donald time, if you're a fan of the Duck.

tlhewitt52
04-08-2007, 05:38 PM
My family of four ate there last May, but I wasn't so much disappointed but it was very disorganized. We had an 8:05 ADR and they didn't let anyone walk back to the restaurant until 8:00 then you had to fill out slips and wait for them to call your names talk about a mobscene. Alsthough I thought the food was great however character interaction was not Chef Mickey's was great as was Crystal Palace!! So if your looking for character interaction this would not be the best place to go!

GINNY69
04-08-2007, 06:43 PM
We ate here 2 years ago and I thought the breakfastsouris was pretty good. The Characters were good and spent a good deal of time at the table and made about 2 rounds to each table. The restaurant was roomy and very comfortable. The food was good no complaints there.. I say give it a try.. As someone noted above in a previous post go in with an open mind.. I don't think you will be disappointed..

have fun !!!

TiggerRPh
04-08-2007, 08:09 PM
We go there on every trip...it's a fun character breakfast and it's one of the few character meals with Donald Duck.

The food is fairly decent though the set up for the line to get the food is a bit cumbersome though it has changed in the past year or so.

We have alway had a fun CM serving us, even one from Wisconsin on of our trips, so that was fun.

Melanie
04-08-2007, 08:11 PM
We have been twice also.
The first time was several years ago and it was fun. Pretty good character time and food was ok.

The last time was about 18 months ago. The Charachter time was terrible. So much so, that the handler actually moved one character along within 20 seconds (no lie) after they got to the table. No pictures, no signing, just hi/bye.

We won't be going back.

I'm with Jeff!

We had a great meal there back in '03. Couldn't wait to eat there again.

Ate there again in Jan. '06 and it had gone way downhill. My main complaint is the seating arrangement. Not a fan of how they are doing it now. Character time is indeed rushed, and buffet is crowded. We did have a great server though and the theme is way cute.

I say try it if you never have. You may like it! It's just not for us anymore.

PETE FROM NYC
04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
We ate there on 3-10.No complaints.Decent character interaction,decent food.They posed for pix,signed books .
Same thing with Crystal Palace.
Food was practically identical.
My only complaint,and this was everyplace on property,was no REAL BUTTER,just blended stuff.

laward32
04-09-2007, 08:04 PM
We ate there in Dec, just four of us, 2 adults 2 kids. We arrived 20 minutes early and we weren't allowed to check in until 10 minutes before our reservation. By the time it was 10 min before, I had to wait 10 min to check in. Then we waited another 30-35 minutes before we were seated. When we went in there were empty tables everywhere. I do not understand there system. Anyway, the food was great, but that was the only thing. The waitress was terrible. We got no character interaction at all. My two girls were soooo disappointed. We saw Donald walk through and that was it. I was not impressed at all and if I hadn't been on the dining plan, I would have been extremely upset. It's not worth the money if you are paying oop. Just my opinion.:mickey:
I am dying to try Chef Mickeys. We will definately do that in September (if I get to go)

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Loved the characters, the food was awful the day we were there. :sick:

So bad that I am not sure if we will try it again. Which is too bad because we loved seeing Donald.

I will say that it could have been a fluke thing.

Santuitman
04-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Hello all
Thanks for the reviews. Based on them and others we've decided to go with Chef Mickey's instead.

See you all there:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
04-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Sorry to hear that. Donalds is (IMHO) the best breakfast on property. It definitely rates higher than CRT in our book.

I think with everything, it's what you make of it. The food is great and there are lots of choices. We feel the characters are top notch, and have never felt rushed in any way.

AK is a great park, it's nice to get in early and enjoy the sights without having to deal with the crowds. There are some great photo-ops on the way to eat.

Santuitman
04-10-2007, 10:38 AM
"I think with everything, it's what you make of it."
Yeah we agree with that and we were thinking that being at the AK early was a real added benefit to Breakfastasaurus but Chef Mickey's was on our list as well and it worked out better for our schedule.
Thanks for all the reviews though!!

tyandskyesmom
04-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Just for the record...

We love Donald's too! Good food, lots of it, wonderful character interaction and friendly waiters!

Ducklover
04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
:)
I honestly think it depends on when you go! We have been to this buffet on almost everytrip and have loved it! Well-of course-we love Donald-but also the food is really good-and different. They have choc chip pancakes, southwest style eggs, the usual hot and cold cereals, fruit etc. We have always had good character experience, good food and good service.
Give it a try and see what you think!

Pop Centurion
04-10-2007, 03:16 PM
I've had a good experience both times I've went. Good food, service, and character interaction.