PDA

View Full Version : Help with a disability

DakandZakMom
04-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I have been to WDW several times with my 2 boys but this year we are also taking my 64 year old mother who is legally blind. She has glacoma and macular degeneration so she does have some eyesight left but she has no depth perception and very little peripheral vision. I am already planning on renting a wheelchair so that she will not trip and fall on the unfamilar terrain. Does anyone else have any suggestions on things that I can do to make her trip more pleasurable? She grew up around Disneyland but this is her first trip to WDW. I want to make this a very special trip for her beacuse her eyesight just keeps getting worse and I want her to enjoy it and also to see her grandchildren enjoy it while she still can. Any suggestions you can give me would be great. Thanks!!

Marilyn Michetti
04-08-2007, 10:42 AM
How about Pal Mickey? NOBODY is too old, and if she feels self-conscious, she can pretend she's holding it for one of the kids.:thumbsup:

lindique
04-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I believe if you apply for a special assistance pass at guest services, they will seat you up front in the shows where your mother will be able to see better.

dlpmikki
04-08-2007, 04:43 PM
My husband is legally blind and he loves WDW. The guest assistance pass is probably a good idea although we don't often use it. Just go to City hall or the equivelent in any of the parks and they will give you one with the relevant details for your mother.

Think about which rides she is likely to enjoy - it is probably going to be a bit similar to the grandkids which would be great. Also remember how tiring Disney can be and factor in plenty of rest time.

Pooh4Grumpy
04-09-2007, 04:28 PM
One little hint from a senior citizen.When we age it takes longer for our eyes to adjust from light to darkness and vice versa. We found that going to Magic Kingdom when it was dark out side made it easier to see in the dark rides,example Peter Pan.The details show up better when we don't have to adjust from bright outside light.