PDA

View Full Version : Pool areas for toddlers

disneydeb
04-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Yes, I'm thinking about my Disney trip 3 years from now, when my soon to be grandchild will be 2.
I haven't thought much about resort pools for toddlers lately, but I am now. Which ones do you prefer and why?
Thanks!
deb

Strmchsr
04-08-2007, 08:55 AM
I love the little kid pool at POFQ, but the saxophone playing gater may have something to do with that. :D

wendy*darling
04-08-2007, 01:18 PM
At age 2, you really won't be looking at slides, etc.
But, the Yacht & Beach Club wins in the "best pool" category- even for toddlers. They have a whole sand area for the little ones to wade in, make sand castles, etc.

Also, the quiet pools at all resorts are pretty nice to bring the little ones in (always accompanied by an adult, of course).

BrerGnat
04-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I currently have a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old. We're looking into a WDW trip within the next year and a half. My kids should be somewhere around 4 and 2 when we go.

We are staying deluxe for sure, but have not narrowed it down yet. We don't know yet when we will be going, but if it will be "pool weather", the pool will DEFINITELY play into our choice a lot. If we end up going in the winter, it probably won't be a deciding factor at all, and we'll probably stay at the WL (which does have a nice large kiddie pool).

The ones we are considering in POOL WEATHER are the Yacht/Beach Club and the Polynesian. The Y&B Club have Stormalong bay, which is a HUGE pool complex. There is a zero entry area with a sand bottom and a sand play area that is great for toddlers. People always say that Stormalong Bay is not good for little ones because "it's hard to keep an eye on the kids there". Well, to be honest, I don't worry about that because I will be swimming WITH my little ones. I don't do lounging on chairs. I like to play! So, I don't worry about the size of the pool or how crowded it can be, because at 4 and 2 years old, you are not swimming in the "big pool" so much as the shallow end or kiddie pool. I don't expect my kids to be able to swim independently until MUCH older.

The Polynesian is another pool with a zero entry area, and it also has a beach where the kiddies can play in the sand.

All the resorts have kiddie pools, and the ones at the Values have squirting water jets and such, so they are fun.

However, if you are considering a deluxe hotel, the ones with zero entry pools are a huge bonus, so the little ones can wade in the shallow water. The resorts with zero entry pools are Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Y&B Clubs.

thejens
04-08-2007, 03:31 PM
We stayed at Animal Kingdom with a 2 year old last year and it was great. The zero entry area was nice and uncrowded and we sat in a lush tropical area with drinks and watched him play at the edge. He enjoyed watching the animals and the beautiful lodge. And this one is cheaper than the other deluxe resorts! But this year we are trying out Beach Club. It looks great too. The Contemporary does NOT have a good pool for little ones.

wendy*darling
04-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Zero entry pools are a great consideration- they are fun for families and much easier to navigate for the little ones.
In addition to the ones listed above, the Grand Floridian and Saratoga Springs have zero entry pools as well.

BrerGnat
04-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I didn't know the GF and Saratoga Springs had zero entry. Thanks for the info!

KAT1811
04-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I'd have to agree that the pool at the Beach and Yacht club is probably the best for little ones. They not only have the pool to frolic around in but the sand to build and dig in. Plus you can take them on the lazy river with you. Just remember to get a pail and shovel before heading to the pool. Zero entry is a great way to go. I love that the Y & B has a sand bottom. We took our middle DD when she was 10 months and not yet walking and because she was still crawling when we went to the water parks her knees got raw from crawling around on the "pool" bottom in the play areas.

disneydeb
04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Thank you all for your great suggestions, I'll have a great time planning this trip!

Bruegge
04-11-2007, 11:38 PM
The Poly has a zero entry pool at least the shallow end is... It connects to the beach and is great for little ones... I know it doesn't compare to the Yacht club but its all right there.

Sand, pool, pool bar, water mouse rental and it's perfect for the fireworks. On the deeper end they have a nice slide that's hidden in the mountain. Nice place to lay back and unwind.

Scott