PDA

View Full Version : NYC ?'s

mook3y
04-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Hi, looking at going to NYC for the first time in July for our anniversary.

Have some questions that I hope someone out there can help with.

We are flying in on a Friday and back on Sunday, maybe Monday.

Looks like the Westin at Times Square is a good choice for a nice hotel.

What is the best way to get from La Guardia to the hotel? I See shuttles for $17 @. Website says about 8 miles. Would I be better off with a cab?

We want to go to a broadway show and eat at tavern on the green. I think from the Westin we can walk to the show.

What is the best way to get to Tavern on the Green and the Empire State building from the Westin?

Is Tavern on the Green a good choice for dinner? :marg:

If we go to a 2pm show, how should we dress?

Anyone seen Mary Poppins yet?

Well that is enough questions for now thinks me. :D
Thanks in advance!!!

MsMin
04-10-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm no expert on NYC but maybe if I bump it back to the top you can get a little more info.
I've only gone twice and stayed in the Murray Hill area once and Madison Square Garden area.
We used the subway for most everything. We bought the pass that suited our stay for the time. Once was a week and once only 3 days. It was very useful.
I took a cab and I know you have to be careful not to get into any that are not city taxis.
Hopefully someone will come along with more info.
We had a great time. So much to see.

PrincessEmmasMommy
04-10-2007, 05:56 AM
Hi! Can't answer everything, but here goes:

Use the shuttle. Even though it says 8 miles a cab will be quite expensive as it charges for time that it sits and time that it moves.

Hotel sounds good, my father stayed there and loved it.

I've heard Tavern on the Green is good but never been. You can use a subway or bus or maybe a cab. All subway and bus routes are online. I think it is on the MTA's website.

I've heard Mary Poppins is wonderful, but the tickets are next to impossible to come by unless you pay an arm and a leg.

Make sure to see WOD. Especially if you have children. The museums are phenomenal.

The city isn't so scary as long as you don't make yourself a target. Don't walk around looking up.

Have fun!
Jen

Mickey'sGirl
04-10-2007, 08:48 AM
What a great trip!

I've never stayed at the Westin (we always stay at the Marriott Marquis) -- but Times Square is the place to stay. We usually walk everywhere (we go with my parents and our children) -- and take a cab when we can't walk (my mom is in a wheelchair, so it is easier in a cab for us).

Again, with my mom it is easier for us to take a cab from La Guardia -- so that's how we go if we fly.

We've eaten at the Tavern on the Green at lunchtime -- and it was a wonderful experience -- so beautiful, and the food was good. It is amazing to think that you are right in the middle of the most incredible metropolis in the world when you are there!!

I would dress up for Tavern, but not worry about dressing up for a show. We have not seen Mary Poppins (though my parents have and they LOVED it!).

I hope you have a wonderful trip! I am insanely jealous of you! :thumbsup:

BronxTigger
04-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't know how many people you are traveling with, but a shuttle charges $17 per person each way. If you have 2 people, a cab will probably be around that, and you will go direct.

Before I moved to NYC, I used Super Shuttle twice. Never again. Both times, they lost my reservation and I had to wait well over an hour both times for them to even pick me up from the airport. Then, you have to go around to everyone's hotels. The first time, I was the last person to be dropped off. Both times I used the shuttle, it took around 4 hours from the time I got off the plane to the time I got to my hotel. (both hotels were in midtown). Don't use a shuttle if you don't have to!

The Westin is on 42nd Street and 8th Ave, you will be able to walk to any show that is in the Times Square area; in fact it would be better to walk than to deal with a cab or train. From what I hear, that hotel is excellent. (expensive, but good) Use tripadvisor.com to look at candid hotel shots and reviews from people who have stayed there.

princessesmom
04-10-2007, 05:13 PM
A weekend in NY is a great way to spend an anniversary. You should be able to walk to any Broadway show from the Westin. You don't need to get dressed up for a matinee. If you're not too picky about what you see, there are some sites that offer discounts to Broadway shows (I saw some mentioned in Fodor's recently). You won't be able to get tickets to the really hot shows though, such as Wicked and Lion King. I'm not sure about Mary Poppins.

Depending on how much you like to walk (my husband and I both prefer to walk if possible), you can walk down to the Empire State building. It isn't a bad walk up to Central Park either, especially if it is a nice day. My husband and I had lunch at Tavern on the Green many years ago. It is a beautiful restaurant.

My guess is that the shuttle is probably a little cheaper than a cab. I don't know anything about it though, so I"m not sure how much longer it will take. I"m sure the Westin could give you a good estimate for how much the cab would cost and you can then decide what to do.

Good Luck!

SBETigg
04-10-2007, 05:42 PM
I've stayed at that Westin, and it was really great! Good location, nice rooms, really great beds and showers. You can actually walk to the Broadway shows. You'll probably want a cab to Tavern on the Green(nice choice, pretty at night, The Dakota--where John Lennon lived and was shot-- is almost right across the street). Always give cab drivers an intersecting address to drop you off (try to sound like you know exactly what you're doing- don't say "take us to Tavern on the Green") You can walk to the Empire State Building- it's a nice walk and it really isn't that far at all. You'll end up doing a lot of walking and not really minding, because there is so much to see.

Trust BronxTigger on the cab-shuttle issue. But also you could check into the subway(exciting!) or maybe there's a train to Grand Central. You can walk from Grand Central to the Westin, again- not far. I recommend you try a deli once- fun, huge sandwiches, more than a meal, sort of pricey but worth it. The Disney Store in NYC is great fun (walkable). Rockefeller Center- fun, also walkable(provided you're in decent shape with no impediments)

Another good tip- get some comfortable sunglasses. If it's a windy day, even with no sun, the wind and traffic will whip the Times Square grit straight into your eyes. And finally, the lobby concierge in the Westin is fantastic- use them. They will recommend great places to eat and even set you up with reservations. Shula's Steak House is in your hotel, and there's a nice lounge for evening cocktails if you're into that. Oh, and Tavern on the Green also has a fixed price lunch that is nice and more economical (it's pricey). Have fun!

Brer Longhorn
04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Just a couple of tips.

A couple of the nicer hotels have in house ticket brokers for the Broadway shows. I've found they can help you get seats to most shows you'd like to see. You may want to call ahead and see if they can help you set some tickets up.

If you are going to do any of the city tours on the double decker buses, which are a great way to see a large section of NYC, - they have one that stops right at the Empire State Building where you can get off and see the ESB and Macy's and then catch a later bus with the same company and continue the tour. My wife and I did this and found it to be a great way to see some things that we probably wouldn't have otherwise. The best part is, the buses leave from Times Square, so you're walk to get to those from the hotel you're considering would be less than a 100 yards.

Hope these help.

GenieOfPA
04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
you may also want to check out the World Of Disney store if you're around the times square area... its a little bit a walk, but definitly worth it if you are a disney fan! its located at 5th ave and 55th street. its an ENORMOUS 3 story building with everything disney and even character meet and greets!! you'll have a great time there :mickey:

BronxTigger
04-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Posted by SBETigg
But also you could check into the subway(exciting!) or maybe there's a train to Grand Central.

From LGA, there is no direct subway. You have to take a city bus to a subway train. I don't recommend it, especially if you don't know what you are doing. (You can take the M60 bus to the 2 or 4 trains, which will take you close to the Westin, but the M60 drops you off in the middle of Harlem; the other bus choices take you to different parts of Queens.)

If you decide to fly into JFK, there is the AirTrain to the E subway, but I don't really recommend that to a first timer. You have to change from the AirTrain to the E, and it's not the best neighborhood if you don't know what you are doing.

Definitely try to take the train while you are in NYC, just maybe not from the airport. You can PM if you want.

mook3y
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Thank you for all the great advice.

Definately sounds like the Westin was a good choice. Were pretty sold on seeing Mary Poppins and as of right now, there are plenty of tickets - Saw Lion King in LA.

We both grew up in Los Angeles county, so not to concerned about walking around town. Just act like you know where you are going and pay attention to whats around you.

Actually the reason we picked tavern on the green was because of a dinner packaged offered for set price. like 70 or 75. I will have to check and see what the other choices were and post them and see what you all think of the choices.

Keep the tips coming if you think of anything else.

SBETigg
04-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Thank you for all the great advice.

Definately sounds like the Westin was a good choice. Were pretty sold on seeing Mary Poppins and as of right now, there are plenty of tickets - Saw Lion King in LA.

We both grew up in Los Angeles county, so not to concerned about walking around town. Just act like you know where you are going and pay attention to whats around you.

Actually the reason we picked tavern on the green was because of a dinner packaged offered for set price. like 70 or 75. I will have to check and see what the other choices were and post them and see what you all think of the choices.

Keep the tips coming if you think of anything else.

That's a good package at Tavern- I thought they just did that at lunch. Good choice. Buy your tickets for the Empire State Building on-line at the website before you go. The line is huge for tickets, but if you already have your tickets, you can bypass that and go straight to the line for the observatory. At the same time, actually, you can buy a package deal rate for the double-decker tour and for some other NY attractions you may want to see. It's a money saver.

If you decide to actually go out to see the Statue of Liberty, the ferry takes an hour both ways, just so you know- the whole tour and there and back can take a nice chunk of time out of your day. but it is a great thing to see. A lot of people don't expect it to take quite as long as it does, so plan accordingly. I also love the Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and just walking around the city to get a look at things. Shopping!

Thanks for the subway/airport tips, BronxTigger. I'm close enough to NYC that I don't fly there and far anough away that I use other airports for my regular travel. Good to know.

PrincessJessica
04-11-2007, 09:02 AM
The Westin is a good choice, within walking distance to Tavern on the Green, Mary Poppins at the New Amsterdam and even the Empire State Building.

It's very humid in NYC in July so you may want to consider a cab which would not cost very much.

I just saw Mary Poppins two weeks ago and would recommend it highly.

It's best to get tickets early but if it's just the two of you, you shouldn't have a problem. The show deviates somewhat from the movie, most likely following the original book. Parts of the show are not what I would expect in Mary Poppins but you'll see for yourself.

Dress was very casual for the 2 o'clock show. But if you are going out to dinner after the show, you would not feel out of place dressed up.

Tavern on the Green is a great place for dinner. There are carriage rides through Central Park near the entrance of the restaurant. It's best to make a reservation for this place.

Hope you have the best time!!!

ldn324
04-11-2007, 09:17 AM
If you decide to actually go out to see the Statue of Liberty, the ferry takes an hour both ways, just so you know- the whole tour and there and back can take a nice chunk of time out of your day. but it is a great thing to see. A lot of people don't expect it to take quite as long as it does, so plan accordingly.

Agreed about the Statue, but if you don't have time to do the actual tour and would like to see it a little closer, take the Staten Island Ferry right next to Battery Park. It's free and goes right past the statue. One of the best views in the city!

The lines for Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island will be very long in July - maybe an hour or so more wait just to get on the ferry. If you are considering it, definitely buy your tickets ahead of time and you'll save at least the wait time for tickets.

There are TKTS kiosks around time square. They can be great sources for discount and/or hard to get tickets if you have a little flexibility. They release unsold tickets - kind of like how Priceline does hotel rooms. As far as dress code, all of the theatre is very relaxed anymore - especially for the matinee. Don't forget, Mondays are (for the most part - not completely) dark in the theatre district so check your dates to be sure they will work around when you want to go to the show. It does usually mean, however, that there are less crowds in the theatre district and some of the other tourist attractions on Mondays because of that.

Once you are in the city, one of the best resources you will have is NYPD. The officers on the street are very helpful in recommending how to get around, places to eat, etc. Some of the most polite and helpful people you will come in contact with.

Definitely get out and enjoy walking around. There are some great city maps that you can pick up at almost any store or gift shop that will be great. Manhattan is mainly a large grid so it makes it really easy to navigate.

Most importantly, have a blast! We live about 1 1/2 hours outside of the city and go in several times during the year. Absolutely no other city can capture the excitement and diversity of NYC. Definitely one of the best, if not the best, city on earth!

gueli
04-28-2007, 10:32 PM
If I am not mistaken, the Taxi from LGA to manhattan is a set price (the Taxi & limosine commision regulate the cost of taxi rides, I would bet if you check out NYC.Gov (the government web site for NYC- they even have a section for visitors)). If you have the money, take the cab from LGA (save the hassel).

I have never eaten at Tavern on the green, & have heard that the food is only so-so. Realy what you pay for is the views of Central Park.

I highly reccomond the museums. There are some fantastic museums in manhattan (metropolitan museum of art for instance can take more than a day to cover). If you are into it, Museum time is a nice relaxing way to spend some time in NY.

The Empire State Building is on 34th street & 5th Ave. 7 city blocks to 41st st. Manhattan & NY are usually quite muggy in July & august.

Subway lines are an excellent way to get about manhattan (especially during rush hours), but usually require a bit of walking to get to/from your destination.
Chinatown & little italy are great experiences (near mulberry street & Canal). Great food can be found all around. At times the wife & i have taken subway down to Chinatown/little italy (oh the pasteries), walked around & took a Taxi back north (we were just tired). Also try to find a real NY Bagel...

NY has soo much to offer...most of the people are nice & can be quite helpful. The idea of talking to NYPD walking patrols is an excellent idea. But do not be surprised that you may encounter freiendly people who will help others (unlike our percieved nastiness).
Have a fun trip
:mickey:

gueli
04-29-2007, 08:22 AM
an add-on to the above post-
spoke with my DW, and she suggested if money is not a problem, getting picked up by a car service at the airport (town car) might be a nice treat. They will meet you at baggage claim, help w/ luggage & take you into manhattan.

Have fun
:mickey: