PDA

View Full Version : Just got back...never again :(

CAS
04-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Never again will I agree to go during spring break or over an Easter holiday week. I took my family with 2 other families at their request over spring break timeframes and found that even the smallest plans took great amounts of effort. Most major attractions had waits of between 1/5 to 2 hrs in length. There was even a 15 minute wait to get fastpasses (that's right, to simply "get" a fastpass). Most priority seatings in all restaurants were booked for all times morning through night.

The Magic Kingdom was regularly closed to outside guests before noon and fastpasses to the most popular rides (in most parks) were gone before 10:00am! They even opened the cast-member-only corridors behind the scenes for guests to walk through for safety reasons since the parks became dangerously crowded...think Main Street train station to Frontierland shoulder to shoulder.

I guess I should have known when on our first bus ride to a park on Monday morning the bus driver calmly said, "Folks, please be patient with us this week as it's going to be a little busy." Talk about understatement.

Never again :(

But I can't deny...I had a wonderful time despite the inhuman crowds!

TammiMcMan
04-07-2007, 09:17 PM
It's getting harder and harder to find a slow season. I have video tape of my family at the MK on Christmas Eve day in 1995. Believe it or not, Main Street was virtually empty. About the only time that you could experience that now, is in the fall. Shorter park hours, but no one around you. That's a tough time of year to travel if you have kids in school though. We had to stop going in mid-September when my oldest DD hit middle school.

DisneyDudet
04-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I knew Spring Break was crowded, but not that crowded!

Man...

I'm glad you had a great time still!

allie_to_you
04-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Holy Cow! That is just nutz! You could not pay me to go when it is that crowded, nor when it is scorching hot! I love the value seasons. We are going this November and the last time we went in November, it was great! Cool weather and fairly light crowds!

Camping Mom
04-07-2007, 09:39 PM
OH MY...that is way too crowded. My DH and I went to WDW for his 50th birthday (he was also there for a business meeting) in January. We were so surprised in the MK to see so few people....until....we got to Fantasyland. Couldn't stir those strollers with a stick!!

When we were at MGM, we were on the backlot around dark and there were only 7 people including us. We felt we had the whole park to ourselves. I already asked if he was having a business meeting next year!! Great time to go.

GreenBeetle
04-07-2007, 09:41 PM
WOW - What a shame! It really is getting difficult to pick a good time to go. I've eliminated summer months because of heat and crowds - no way will I ever do that again. I used to think we were safe in October, but word has gotten out and this past October was a zoo too!

There's no way Disney can complain about attendance problems these days. ;)

Ten of Hearts
04-07-2007, 10:18 PM
The best times to go are posted on Info Central. I hope this helps you in planning future trips! Spring Break, Easter and Christmas are the worst times for crowds. We went in late Feb. It was not at all crowded in the morning-noon. It was only after the 3pm parade when I saw the big crowd in Frontierland and Liberty Sq. But Fantasyland wasn't that crowded. Then around sunset there was a big crowd in Tomorrowland- but we were able to avoid that in Fantasyland. Just before 8pm and the big crowd is in front of the castle and on Main St. waiting for SpectroMagic. I found the whole experience enjoyable because the big crowds weren't all over and the longest wait was about 20 min. for the Pooh ride. I would definitely go again in late Feb. Hope upcoming visits are more enjoyable for you and your family! :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Sorry about the crowds, but glad you had a great trip anyway!!

I remember my first trip to WDW as a kid during Spring Break..I can still picture the crowds. That is why we are a mid-Sept family. At least until the kids are a little older. :(

ledudes
04-07-2007, 10:42 PM
What dates qualify as Spring break time? Is it a certain week or a few weeks?

RockChalkKimball
04-07-2007, 10:58 PM
We have either gone at Spring Break (one time Easter week) or at Christmas. Now I agree that Christmas was nutz. But, Spring Break has always been very managable. I think alot depends on what your expectations are. We have always anticipated it being crowded, so waiting in line is just an expectation. Glad you had a good time despite the crowds!!

LoriMistress
04-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Well, at least you have fun. Basically, throughout most of the month of April it's pretty crowded due to Spring Break and Easter. Next time, I would recommend booking ADR's (you have to make them 180 days in advance.)

For your next trip, go during a slower part of the year (I would suggest either October or November--cooler weather, less crowded, and cheaper), and do lots of research. Go to other WDW boards to get ideas to help you plan your trip.

I would also recommend next time to use either Unofficial Guide or TourGuideMike. I'm a TGM customer and I highly recommend them. They have great tips, numerous advice, and tools to assist you plan your trip. Even, if you go during the busiest time of the year, you will have a relaxing and enjoyable vacation.

HndrdPrcnt
04-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Sorry about the unbearable crowds. At least, however, you were still able to have a good time while you were there. After working at DLR for 7 1/2 years, I can tell you that there are times of the year that I know not to even think of a trip to any of the Disney parks (except maybe for Euro-Disney):thumbsup:

Jimenyfan
04-08-2007, 03:36 AM
We were there from 3/31-4/4 and the thing that worked best for us was getting to the parks as soon as the opened and then leaving by 1:30 when they were really packed. We were able to do all of the big rides with the exception of EE with minimal waits. The worst I saw was DTD on sunday night, it was wall to wall people and walking around was difficult.

alicia524luvstw
04-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Wow, that's crowded. I too am having a hard time finding a not so nutz time to go. Every time I've gone its been crazy, except for Nov. I'm hoping this May will be o.k.

merlinmagic4
04-08-2007, 06:51 AM
Wow, if it's that crowded next week we'll be spending a lot of time at the pool!!! I won't mind though since it's cold enough to snow here!

Glad you had a good time anyway :thumbsup: :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
04-08-2007, 07:39 AM
What a nitemare. Did you have fun in spite of that? I would've been so frustrated. To spend all of that money and time planning! That sounds awful!

Maleficent's Dad
04-08-2007, 09:38 AM
We've been during Easter week (not this year) and I have to agree with you - never again...

Christmas may be busy, but a more festive atmosphere! :candy:

President's Week is crowded, but not insane (although it is a bit chilly at times!). :iceskate:

July 4th is festive - crowded and hot - but festive. :flag:

The weeks surrounding Easter - Perfect weather! But the crowds were the worst we've ever seen - and we only go when school is out.
So for us? Easter - no more trips to WDW! :noway:

Beast_fanatic
04-08-2007, 01:34 PM
What dates qualify as Spring break time? Is it a certain week or a few weeks?

Spring break is considered to run from mid-February (corresponding with President's Day and Daytona) through about a week after Easter (sometimes a bit longer if Easter is particularly early).

Some weeks are worse than others crowd-wise though with the weeks before and after Easter considered to be the busiest.

Kairi_7378
04-08-2007, 11:11 PM
We left on 3/30 and caught the beginning of the spring break crowd. I couldn't believe how crowded the MK was. I couldn't take a full step. It was a completely different park than what it had been earlier in the week. The worst part wasn't that the park was crowded, but that it was full of grumpy people!

I'm glad that you were able to have a good time despite the crowds. I hope that your next trip is more pleasant!

CAS
04-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi again.

To answer a couple comments...

Yeah, I was fully aware of the type of crowds to expect but I guess was in awe when I actually saw them. I've done Disney in every month but December so it's no surprise. No way around it though, many in our group were teachers and had no choice but to choose spring break.

Sure, I always have a great time in Disney. But in total honesty if you said you'd give me a free trip to WDW during spring break......I don't think I'd take it due to the fact that I still have to use vacation time from work. :( I didn't think I'd ever say that!

tron80
04-08-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm sorry the crowds were nuts. I went to WDW after Presidents week and before the Spring Break madness.There were crowds,but it was managable and the weather was cool. Lines were 10-15 to 60 minutes.

I'll avoid summer or any other extremely high crowd period altogether now,since hot weather+crowds+lines can cause people to form a near-riot. And yes I've seen that happen at WDW or somewhere else.

MMFreak
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
My family and I have been taking our vacation the week after Easter for the last 11 years and we have never had and big crowd issues. We have been other times of the year and continue to go back this particular week as we find the weather to be wonderful and the crowds to be that of any amusement park at this time of year.

We love the amusement park atmosphere and look forward to mingling with people from other parts of the county. I think we would not have as much fun if we spent our entire vacation just running from ride to ride and not getting to experience some level of crowding.

Our wait times have never been extremly outragious and we have always been able to obtain fast passes for any rides we were interested in going on (ALL) LOL.

If I had to complain about crowd size I would say the only time it was really bothersome was after a parade or after fireworks. But if you know going in how crowded it is in a particular area at a particular time you plan accordingly. I guess we have just be very good at being at the right park on the right day.

4 days til we visit Mickey this year :party:

mmouse566
04-09-2007, 06:23 PM
We were there 4/2 through 4/7. We had no problems getting into any of the parks. Fastpasses were usually gone by noon for the bigger rides. What we experienced was quite different though. The waitimes stated 60+ minutes but actually were closer 40. There was a few times during the day we saw 120 minutes but we just walked on by and caught it later. We go about every other weekend and have been now for close 2 years and I was actually pleasantly surprised we were able to do as much as we did and the crowds, especially Saturday, seemed lighter than usual to us.