PDA

View Full Version : How formal is formal?

DisneyRN
04-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Just how formal are the formal and semi-formal nights. I have some nicer dresses from Ann Taylor, but I don't really want to drag evening gowns to Port Canaveral to only end up wearing them for a couple of hours. And I KNOW DH won't wear a tux.

Is it a must or will we be okay in nice dresses and suit/tie/dress shirts? :wine:

PirateStitch
04-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey-
I think formal night is pretty dressy. Especially with men being requested to wear tuxes.... I've been trying to get my husband to wear a tux but he refuses !! I think dressing up could be a lot of fun.....But, I have to agree it won't be so fun dragging around a formal dress and dress suit. I cruise April 28th for 7days so I'll let you know how dressy it was if you would like.

CAS
04-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Dresses and suits/ties are good for either. I've never rented a tux for formal nights, just a nice dark suit is perfectly fine I'd say. :)

In my experience, those wearing tuxes were in the minority.

mouseketeer mom
04-08-2007, 07:35 AM
We did the 4 nite Wonder cruise. From what I understand, the Magic cruise's formal nite is much more formal than the Wonder's. Only a handful of men were in tuxes, others in suits, others in nice slacks and shirts only. I saw lots of women in cocktail dresses, some in less dressy dresses, some in nice slacks and blouses. I didn't see too many gowns! There were so many people on board, you really had the range of "formal" and all was OK.

stitchfan
04-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Formal is pretty much up to you. On the Wonder it usually means jacket and tie, or at least a sportcoat.

On the Magic, they do have a real formal night, and you can rent tuxes if you want to. On our last cruise, my DW wanted formal photos of me and our two DSs wearing matching tuxedos. We were in the minority. Most men wore suits or sportcoats & ties. Most women wore dresses or dressy slacks. There were a few military officers there in dress whites, and at least one distiguised older gentleman in an elegant tux wearing a red diplomatic sash. It was a lot of fun, but the tuxes were hot and expensive. Next time, I think I'll pass on the tux (unless DW says otherwise.....:blush: )

Stitchfan