PDA

View Full Version : Weird Question

Cinderelley
04-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Does anyone know what the fear of apples is called? Like the fear of spiders is arachnophobia.

PirateLover
04-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Funny, I just read yesterday about someone who loves apples- They are apparently called malophiles (well, at least according to this article)
... so maybe someone who fears apples is a malophobic??

MsMin
04-07-2007, 04:26 PM
I've never seen or heard of a fear of Apples. A quick search on google shows
megalophobia - ( ) A fear of large things
megamalophile - ( ) 1. One who really loves apples

Is it a fear of New York??? or a fear of the apple business plunging? Or falling on your head. A fear of wicked witches? A fear of computers? I suggest you remove all the bows and arrows from the house:D
Seriously, I've never heard of it.
If you are speaking of a child's fear it could be an actual fear of the wicked witch. I could also see that someone could have a fear of choking on an apple. If someone came to me with a fear of apples I would look into what was driving that fear.

GreenBeetle
04-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I just checked www.phobialist.com and can't find anything on apples or fear of fruit. The closest thing is a fear of food: Cibophobia.

Donald A
04-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I have never heard of a fear of apples. However, I have seen footage of a guy terrified of peaches. I think it was on the Maury show or something.

daparish
04-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I am not afraid of peaches but I can't stand to touch them. Touching a peach is equivalent to running my nails down a chalk board. DH thinks I am nuts......:blush:

Cinderelley
04-09-2007, 02:32 AM
Well, thanks for looking. MsMin, maybe you should name it megamalophobia, and go down in psychology books for the rest of history. :D

My DS15 is into archery. Maybe I should hide his bow and arrow. ;)