PDA

View Full Version : First Fort Wilderness visit in 08

skw5435
04-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Looking to make our first visit to Fort Wilderness in 2008.:mickey: Looking for any tips from experienced Intercot members. Also wondering how far ahead we can make our reservation for the trip??? :party:

Goofeygal
04-07-2007, 11:42 AM
We have camped at Fort Wilderness several times and are camping again in a few weeks for 2 whole weeks. We love it so much. There is a petting farm for the kids there are 2 pools and couple stores and I would advise doing the Hoopie Doo Review there as well. I would book quit abit in advance because Fort WIlderness books up very early depending on the time of year you go.:mickey:

MartyS
04-07-2007, 11:56 AM
We have stayed at FtW twice and love the place. We stayed in the cabins. We rented golf carts both times, and thought they were worth the 45 bucks a day rental. If you want to rent one, reserve it as far in advance as possible, because they stay rented out and it's real hard to get one w/o res. Hoop de doo is kinda expensive, but worth every penny, good food, great show. Trail's End has a good breakfast buffet. For lots more info, google fort wilderness/ Jeff Spencer. Hope y'all have a great time!

faline
04-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Are you planning to camp or stay in a cabin?

skw5435
04-07-2007, 03:22 PM
We are going to haul our trailer down. May possibly be another family with us camping as well.

mickey98
04-09-2007, 05:08 PM
How far out you make your resies depends on the time of year you wish to go.. I recommend you make them as soon as possible,, the campground is already booking into fall of 08.. get started NOW !!!! :mickey:

faline
04-10-2007, 05:34 AM
We always liked camping in the preferred loops - as close to Pioneer Hall as possible so we could walk there. Another good location is within walking distance of the Meadows Trading post. This is also the location of the nightly campfire and movie as well as the bike barn and the pool.

Vanlandingham
04-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Looking to make our first visit to Fort Wilderness in 2008.:mickey: Looking for any tips from experienced Intercot members. Also wondering how far ahead we can make our reservation for the trip??? :party:

We've always traditional made our reservations no less than 6 months in advance. If problems do arise though the fine folks there have never had any problems moving reservations around (we've had to do that 3 times: once due to hurricanes). Some things I would recommend:

-Find a campground map online or somewhere else and look at the layout. Pick a few possible places you might like to be and request them when making your reservation.

-Trail's End Restaurant is one of the best food values on the entire resort property period. Its buffet style meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and if you want something quick they make excellent take-out pizza.

-The horses that pull the trolley cars on Main Street are housed in a stable right next to the Settlement Area. You're allowed to walk through part of it, which if you have little kids is a fun thing to do. As previously mentioned, there is a petting zoo there as well.

-As MartyS mentioned, the golf carts are a fun and great way to get around the campground, albeit a bit pricey. You can reserve them in advance but don't press your luck. Also, don't forget to keep them charged (they have parking areas with outlets for plugging them in). And do watch out for buses. ;)

-The boat dock on Bay Lake is a wonderful place to watch the MK fireworks at night. You get a good view and you won't hurt your ears in the process. In addition (at least during the summer) the Electric Water Pageant comes by at 9:50 each night.

-Sometimes the simple things are best. When you can, enjoy the rocking chairs on the porch of Crocketts Tavern and take the small boat to the Contemporary in the early evening if you can. Just some nice overlooked aspects to FW.

I think that covers some of the basics that others hadn't touched yet, though I probably left some things out. If I think of anything else, I'll post it and if anybody else wants to add or amend anything I said, I grant full permission. FW is really a fun place to stay, period.

jennsky
04-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Having just got back from there a couple of weeks ago, my advice would be:

1. TOTALLY rent a golf cart. It's lots of fun and gives you a sense of freedom around Fort Wilderness. Split the cost with your friends and you'll totally get your money's worth.

2. Make Priority Seating reservations at Trails End Buffet if you plan on going there. The one night we didn't have any, and we had to wait over an hour. The other time we did have reservations and only had to wait 5 minutes. The food there is great and it'll totally fill you up!

3. Take a day to just enjoy Fort Wilderness itself. There is so much to see and do that you won't even miss going to the parks that day. It's a good option if you need a day of R&R away from the parks. Go see the horses at the outpost or the animals down at the settlement. Go for a walk along the trails. Totally relaxing!

Have a good time!! :mickey: