PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken the Behind the Seeds Tour?

Kairi_7378
04-06-2007, 10:58 PM
When we were in Epcot last week, we were intrigued by the Behind the Seeds tour but ran out of time so we couldn't go on it. We're planning on returning to Disney World sometime in the fall. (I was DEFINITELY bit by the Disney bug! :mickey: ) Can anyone tell me about this tour, and if it is worth taking?

EyeLuvDisney
04-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Our family did the tour last fall and really enjoyed it. The children learned about gardening, special tricks, and also were able to feed the fish.

I would encourage you to get a Fast Pass to Soarin' before you take the tour. In many cases you will be able to finish your tour and then walk right onto Soarin'.

Trey

grego77
04-08-2007, 09:49 AM
I did it last year on New Years Eve with my girlfriend. It was a LOT of fun...but you might end up being with people who know an incredible amount about hydroponics and all this other stuff which went WAYYY over my head.
Either way, I got to see huge pumpkins (some in the shape of mickey), feed baby alligators and tilapia, and take some cotton home w/me. The guide was a little TOO into what he did, and seemed a little peeved about his fellow employees not as into it as much as he was, but regardless, it was cool to be looking at plants in the greenhouse while the boats would go by with people waving at you!!!

Enjoy...it's a great deal, and well worth the time. PS. eat at the Garden Grill afterwards...it's a character dinner with some of the food prepared in the greenhouse (salad, fish...)

allie_to_you
04-09-2007, 08:43 AM
I would encourage you to get a Fast Pass to Soarin' before you take the tour. In many cases you will be able to finish your tour and then walk right onto Soarin'.

Great tip! My DH & I did this tour last year while we were waiting for Soarin. We'd just ridden the Living with the Land ride and heard something said about a behind-the-scenes tour, so we decided to give it a go since we had an hour & a half wait for Soarin.

Now, I don't do gardening or anything, but I still really enjoyed this tour. The only bad thing is that there is a lot of walking and standing, no place to sit down and rest, so try to do it earlier in the day if you can. Overall, it was a great tour and well-worth the money. I probably wouldn't take a young child in it though since there is so much information given and unless your child is very attentive or loves gardening, it may be a bit over their heads and hard for little ones to pay attention.

Dicecatt262
04-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Fantastic tour, I consider it the best value on property...it is a cheap over an hour tour, and very enjoyable. My sister and I went in January, and I am taking my 8 year old twins in May, they are going to love seeing the "cinderella" pumpkins shaped like Mickey and how they are grown, and the pest control, and feeding the fish. We even got to try tomatoes grown there (well, sis did, I don't like tomatoes). Les was our guide and he was FANTASTIC!

Woohoo
04-10-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm a Microbiology major now, but at the time I was considering Botany/Plant Biology, so of course it interested me. It was cool because I was able to ask a lot of questions about the plants and the techniques they used. Most of you had mentioned that gardeners would be interested, but I would extend that to those who are interested in plants academically, as well.

mudpuppysmom
04-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I took DS when he was three and granted he is all about how things grow, and we must have had a CM that was into the kids on the tour -- She answered all the kids questions; in fact she actually asked the kids specifically if THEY had any questions and then first asked them the questions that she had before looking to the adults for answers.

Over a year later, my DS still remembers getting to help feed the fish and growing a radish in his pocket for the rest of the day....also eating tomatoes, seeing mickey head pumpkins, and best of all, releasing ladybugs at the end!

I think that yes three might have been a tad too young because of his attention span, but the CM was wonderful with the three or four kids that were in our group! There was an older couple that kept saying how wonderful it was that the kids were able to experience all that the tour had to offer, since sometimes today kids just get to eat what is at the market and not know where it comes from or the work it takes to get there.

Each year that DS has been able to help (since he was two), he has been in the garden with us.....I grew up on a farm and DH grew up in the city, so we are a mix here at our house, but we start plants from seeds and watch them germinate and grow until we can pick what we have grown......and DS helps weed the garden too.......it's all part of the process and he knows it. Take the tour and you will see what goes on behind the scenes.......it's a lot of work, but the end result is awesome!

dolphinmickey9170
04-10-2007, 10:40 AM
My DD 13 and 15 went on this tour and actually enjoyed it. So did my DH. We all had a great time. I even got a discount for having AAA. It was worth it. Have a good time.

Granny Jill A
04-10-2007, 01:15 PM
The only bad thing is that there is a lot of walking and standing, no place to sit down and rest, so try to do it earlier in the day if you can.

I also wouldn't take it in the warmer weather. Some of the greenhouses can get VERY warm indeed.

We LOVED the tour. Wish Disney would offer more types of tours like this, and keep them affordable for ordinary folks.

mamacatnv
04-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I took my inlaws while everyone else was at Blizzard Beach. We really enjoyed it and found it fascinating. I wish I had taken the kids as I think they would also have enjoyed it.

You can also get a discount if you use a Disney Visa to pay for the tour.

disneymom2000
04-10-2007, 08:10 PM
This is an absolutely fascinating tour. I didn't think I would like it much but it made me appreciate where food comes from. I took my mom because she likes plants and stuff but I think I enjoyed it more than she did once we got into it.