PDA

View Full Version : Disney Hosts Program To Hitch Gay Couples

Bill George
04-06-2007, 05:56 PM
--------------------------------------

**Please read this Moderator Note (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1249122&postcount=29)prior to posting a response to this thread.**

Thank you,
INTERCOT Staff

--------------------------------------
LOS ANGELES -- Same-sex couples who want to exchange vows in front of Cinderella's Castle now have the chance.

The Walt Disney Co. had limited its Fairy Tale Wedding program to couples with valid marriage licenses, but it is now making ceremonies at its parks available to gay couples as well.

"We believe this change is consistent with Disney's long-standing policy of welcoming every guest in an inclusive environment," Disney Parks and Resorts spokesman Donn Walker said Friday. "We want everyone who comes to celebrate a special occasion at Disney to feel welcome and respected."

The company said it made the change after being contacted by a gay couple who wanted to use the wedding service, which offers ceremonies at Disneyland in California, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disney's cruise ships.

The service offers flowers, dining, music and many optional Disney touches, from ceremonies in front of the parks' iconic attractions to having Mickey and Minnie Mouse in formal wear as guests. The packages start at $8,000 and can cost more than $45,000.

Groups not affiliated with Disney have held annual "gay days" celebrations at Disney parks for years. Company officials have taken a tolerant attitude to the weekend, allowing party promoters to rent out parks after hours and rebuffing religious groups that condemned Disney.

In 2005, Southern Baptists ended an eight-year boycott of the Walt Disney Co. for violating "moral righteousness and traditional family values."

mrsgaribaldi
04-06-2007, 06:13 PM
I think it's great. DH told me about it this morning. I never realized anyone was excluded but it's good that they are changing that:mickey: I would be crushed if I wanted to get married in Disney and was not allowed for any reason. :( :D

dumbo ears
04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
i love WDW but their gay days and stuff don't need to be such a big things. I say that if gays want to go to WDW let them but you don't have to make days for them. IF you are gonna have gay days then you should have white days, black days, latino days. im sorry and i know some people won't agree with me but if i was taking a child to WDW during the gay days then i would probably cancel the trip.

PirateLover
04-06-2007, 06:54 PM
i love WDW but their gay days and stuff don't need to be such a big things. I say that if gays want to go to WDW let them but you don't have to make days for them. IF you are gonna have gay days then you should have white days, black days, latino days.

FYI, Gay Days is not an officially sponsored WDW event. It is independently sponsored. Other groups can plan their own get togethers too if they want.

TheRustyScupper
04-06-2007, 07:41 PM
. . . The Walt Disney Co. had limited its Fairy Tale Wedding program to couples with valid marriage licenses, but it is now making ceremonies at its parks available to gay couples as well . . .

1) How you can have a wedding ceremony without a license.
2) I never claimed to be politically correct.
3) I do not like this change in policy.

mouseaddict
04-06-2007, 09:28 PM
I see this thread getting very political very fast. I personally think it is great. I respect that others do not. There are still many people that believe interracial marriage is wrong. If you are not invited to the ceremony I can't see how it matters to anyone else anyway.

Carol
04-06-2007, 09:31 PM
i love WDW but their gay days and stuff don't need to be such a big things. Disney doesn't make a big deal about it. Others do. :unsure:

mttafire
04-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Im not in support of this decision...However, It's not my decision to make. I understand the reason Disney made this change. Hopefully more folks will enjoy Disney.

PirateStitch
04-06-2007, 11:54 PM
I think its great that they will now allow same sex marriage. Same sex marriage should be allowed legally !

Jeff G
04-07-2007, 01:07 AM
When I first read this my first response as a Christian conservative was no way. From a moral standpoint from my upbringing choosing to be gay is wrong, but I would never discriminate against a gay and feel as Americans they have the same rights as myself. So I re-read the article and then read another article on the net. In all of these articles it states that without a license gay's can still proclaim thier vows to each other.

Gay marriage has been allowed in many states only to be overturned. In CA where Disnleyland is loacted the supreme court ruled against it. It is not illegal though for two gay people to proclaim their vows or join in a civil union. With that said this then wouln't be a marriage without the license so Disney won't be performing marriages.

My thought is if a paying gay couple wants to proclaim their vows at Disney they should be able to but don't call it marriage(especially since they can't get a marriage licens under the law). Marriage is still defined by most states as the union between one man and ond one woman.

TiggerRPh
04-07-2007, 03:41 AM
As you've stated....same sex couples cannot be married in these because they cannot get a valid marriage license in Florida. My only question is if they can get married if they have a license from another state...I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

It bothers me that the media in reporting this can't use the correct terminology and insists on using language that misrepresents the facts and inflames the the discussion...wait...we're talking the press...did I expect anything else.

If they want to hold "commitment" ceremonies fine....I don't care but don't call it a marriage because it's not.

My understanding too was that these were religious ceremonies not civil ceremonies. If they're going to conduct civil unions doesn't that open another option for heterosexual couples and maybe have something a bit less expensive?

Does anyone know if same sex civil unions are even available in Florida? If not...maybe this is moot point and this is all feel good PR and nothing will ever really happen.

NJDad
04-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Well, some people do have 'weddings' even though they technically got married earlier or later elsewhere.

Someone I work with wants to get straight married in Florida but may just have a wedding there and get legally married at City Hall (he wants a family friend who's a judge in NY to perform the ceremony but Florida will allow it only if the judge becomes a 'minister' after taking an internet lesson???)

magicofdisney
04-07-2007, 07:24 AM
I think its great that they will now allow same sex marriage. Same sex marriage should be allowed legally !
They're not "allowing" a same sex marriage. They're allowing a ceremony. A way to line their pockets further without actually breaking the law. It's more of a "dog and pony" show.

disneyfan1124
04-07-2007, 07:44 AM
And so the political can of worms is opened...

--I don't think it matters who sponsors the event. Like everything else at Disney, you choose what you want to participate in, attend, and do. If Christian Music isn't your thing-don't do NoJ, if Gay Days aren't your thing, don't go when the event is held-around mid June, if I remember correctly. Although I'm not sure you can tell if the person in line next to you is gay or not--can you?

Disney is for all people and when you're walking down Main Street, or sitting on a curb waiting for a parade, or eating in a restaurant, or watching fireworks, you don't know who the people around you are. They could be gay, they could be straight, they could be Christian, they could be Liberal, Democrat, or Republican--it's not anyone's business but their own. Would you ask the guy next to you in line how he voted in the last election?

We all make personal choices every day, and I'm pretty happy that I can make my own choices. When your choices are different from mine, it's an opportunity for me to learn something from you.

Yay for Disney and their celebration of diversity! What a boring world we would live in if we were the same in all our choices.

readytogo2
04-07-2007, 08:46 AM
:( Wrong,wrong, Wrong

crazykids
04-07-2007, 09:26 AM
:( Wrong,wrong, Wrong

:ditto:

cetacean01
04-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Right on Disney!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:
For once again proving that dicrimination is not a family value. For recognizing that people are capable of love regardless of what others might think! For recognizing that gay men and women are valuable assets to our society, For recognizing that LBGT people are no threat to the American way of life, nor a threat to our children by allowing this to happen at an American Icon that caters specifically to families with children.

Ian
04-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey all, this is obviously a hot potato of a topic.

We need to restrict our comments to the news item only and not insert our own views (whatever they may be) into the post.

Either way you're very likely to be offending a portion of INTERCOT's family and that's not what we're about here.

teresa955
04-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I am not worried about being "politically correct." I think it is wrong (aside from my personal beliefs) because it is being touted as a "marriage" ceremony when it has been clearly established that the marriage is not legally binding. I don't think it would be discrimination on Disney's part to not offer something that is not legally recognized by the government. I am not sure why Disney would want to open themselves up to so much criticism--except now they are going to make a few more bucks.

Bill George
04-07-2007, 10:57 AM
When I first found this article, I was very excited to see Disney taking the next step towards cultural diversity. You see, the thing I love about Walt Disney World is the fact that they pay so much attention to this subject. All of their attractions send this message whether it is in reference to differences in races and nationalities or space beings. The message is there and strong.

America is made up of many cultures and people with different beliefs and religions. I may not always agree with these beliefs, but I accept these beliefs as the beliefs of my neighbors and not necessarily my own. The problem we have is many people in America think that only their own beliefs are correct. Therefore, anyone who thinks differently from their own beliefs is wrong. This is sad. It is the difference in the way people think that make this country a great place to live. It is what makes us who we are as a nation. It makes us FREE.

I always hear that marriage is a religious thing. If this is completely true, than why do we need to obtain a license from our government to get married? Secondly, which religion say two same sex people can not get married? Is that religion correct? I am sure that religion is correct to the people of that particular religion however; how about the people from another religion who say differently. Which religion is correct? All of the Christian religions use the same bible, but all interpret it differently. What of those in the Jewish or Muslim faith? What does the Curran say about the topic? Is that correct? I don’t think any of us can ever answer that question.

What I am trying to say is that if you don’t think two people from the same sex should marry, than don’t marry someone from the same sex. However; don’t limit your thinking to disallow two people who love each other and want to spend their lives together from standing before their family and friends and proclaim their love for each other and before whatever god they choose.

I applaud Disney for making this step, and I applaud each and every one of you for speaking your mind on this topic. My hope is that in time, everyone will open their minds and come to the understanding that everyone is different, and everyone deserves a chance to spend their lives in a way that makes them happy. After all, is that not the principle of what this country was founded on?

Thank you for listening,

Bill George
Business Owner, Local Politician, Openly Gay and WDW Fan.

JustCallMeSquishy
04-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Very well said, Bill.

Goofster
04-07-2007, 12:07 PM
However; don’t limit your thinking to disallow two people who love each other and want to spend their lives together from standing before their family and friends and proclaim their love for each other and before whatever god they choose.
My hope is that in time, everyone will open their minds and come to the understanding that everyone is different, and everyone deserves a chance to spend their lives in a way that makes them happy. After all, is that not the principle of what this country was founded on

I think you're simplifying the issue a bit. Are we not also excluding many other types of relationships where those individuals also want to be 'happy'?

malz288
04-07-2007, 12:42 PM
i dont usually post, but i have to say, Bill, that was amazing. i completely 100% agree with you.

To everyone else...
If gay marriage/civil union (whatever you want to call it), does ot effect you in any way, what does it matter to you? is it hurting you? no. so let people do what they want. I applaud Disney for allowing same sex couples have a ceremony at WDW. i think this is one great step in the right direction!

-mallory

mttafire
04-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I decided to completely change my post..Although my feelings on this issue have not changed, I cant stand to see this thread go in the direction that it did.,, Shawn

cetacean01
04-07-2007, 01:35 PM
The point I make is that Disney once again (like in the 90's when it granted domestic partner benefits) has recognized a valuable part of our society, and opened their doors even wider to that part of our society. It shows remarkable courage to do this. They choose not to buy into the idea that gay people will be the downfall of western civilization. And they choose to confront the ensuing backlash head-on (dont tell me you dont think that southern baptist conference is not planning something for this).

Donald A
04-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I am a conservative christian who happens to love WDW. I really feel Disney tries to be fair to everyone. There is the Night of Joy for Christian music. It is still called Mickey's Very Merry CHRISTMAS Party (not holiday party). While I do not support gay marriage I really don't care if someone wants to have a ceremony as long as I don't have to participate. Walt Disney World is not a church or religious organization. Though I am not going to celebrate this recent decision, I am also not going to worry about it.

DisneyDudet
04-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Its a ceremony, not a marriage. Now anyone who wants a ceremony can. This can range from people who want a special ceremony for their relationship, to marriage, to renewing of vows.

I think that its great, and allows for everyone to enjoy the great service Disney provides.

Gay Days is not sponsored by Disney, but they cannot keep them from buying group tickets. If any large group is wanting to rent the park out after hours and has the money, I'm sure they allow them such. They do have Night of Joy, so why can't a large group of gay people buy group tickets?

There may be a lot of controversy over this, but it doesn't personally affect me in any way, shape, or form. All people have a right to be happy. If a group wants to publicly share a uniting ceremony with their family and friends at a special place at Disney, its great, why should that only be allowed to certain people?

Note that this rule isn't specifically for same sex marriage. It just allows a ceremony for them, and anyone else wanting to have one without a marriage license.

Ian
04-07-2007, 04:15 PM
A few points I'd like to make ...

First and foremost, anyone who thinks Disney did this out of some philanthropical desire to be more progressive and inclusive is fooling themselves. Disney's a corporation and they made the decision with the same motive every corporation makes every decision ... the bottom line.

In this case, it was two fold ... they were probably afraid of being sued and they now have a new customer base for their ceremonies.

My second point is this ... I'm actually very surprised that Disney previously excluded gay and lesbian couples from their ceremonies. They're a public company and it's against the law for them to discriminate against anyone who is a member of a protected class.

At least I think it is? Can someone who's an attorney tell me if that's right or wrong? I honestly don't remember if it applies to employers and customers or only to employers and employees.

Anyway, I think Disney is just making a smart business decision. I highly doubt they had any altruistic motivations behind it.

Ian
04-07-2007, 04:17 PM
MODERATOR NOTE!

Okay ... I've had to edit no less than three posts in this thread for violating our terms of service.

DO NOT, in any way shape or form, post responses to this thread that are personal in nature or potentially inflammatory.

That includes calling out other people and being directly critical of their points of view.

Play nice or we'll shut this thread down.

Strmchsr
04-07-2007, 05:16 PM
My second point is this ... I'm actually very surprised that Disney previously excluded gay and lesbian couples from their ceremonies. They're a public company and it's against the law for them to discriminate against anyone who is a member of a protected class.

I'm leaving personal views out of this. Just to respond, there would have been no grounds for a suit because Disney wasn't discriminating based upon sexual orientation. The policy was they only did ceremonies for those "with a valid marriage license." So, the only reason gays/lesbians were excluded is because they are not able to obtain a valid marriage license. Disney saw the potential dollar signs for waiving that clause and did so. I totally agree that it has nothing to do with making a cultural statement. It's all about the almighty green. This is not just about gays/lesbians, though. It's becoming increasingly popular in this culture to do "commitment" ceremonies for those who do not wish to be legally married but want to make some sort of public profession to each other. Just one more revenue source.

caryrae
04-07-2007, 09:29 PM
This will probably be a hot topic for Disney for a while but in a year or maybe even less no one will give it a second thought.

mjaclyn
04-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I just want to add that I seriously doubt Disney is doing this to show that they're in favor of 'gay marriage' - it's just another way for them to make money.

NotaGeek
04-08-2007, 03:06 AM
I say bravo! I am gay, out and proud and also a moderator here on INTERCOT. Although I would never in my life have a DL or WDW commitment ceremony, I think it's great that some other people will have that option. And since LOTS of Gays and Lesbians have a huge disposable income I say bring on the money! Disney is a company, not a non-profit organization, anything they can do to drive up their stock helps ALL Disney fans... more money means more rides, cleaner parks, better paid CMs -- everyone wins.

alicia524luvstw
04-08-2007, 05:59 AM
I wish I could afford a wedding ceremony there!!

NJDad
04-08-2007, 06:03 AM
I am a conservative christian who happens to love WDW. I really feel Disney tries to be fair to everyone. There is the Night of Joy for Christian music. It is still called Mickey's Very Merry CHRISTMAS Party (not holiday party). While I do not support gay marriage I really don't care if someone wants to have a ceremony as long as I don't have to participate. Walt Disney World is not a church or religious organization. Though I am not going to celebrate this recent decision, I am also not going to worry about it.

:thumbsup: Right, right, right!

future_imagineer
04-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Personally (I consider myself on the Christian Left, FYI), while I doubt it was something Walt would have done (from what I read he was quite conservative), I am glad that Disney is doing this. Personally, I think that the terms in which Disney is doing this (needing it to be a legit marriage with a license) are well thought out should make most people satisfied. Everything that Bill said is exactly what I think... I would vote for you if you were in my area :)

Although mjaclyn might have a decent point.

Also, we'll probably be seeing another ABA-like "boycott" of Disney.

Bringonthemouse!
04-08-2007, 11:17 AM
To each his/her own, live and let live, etc.! Kudos to Disney for taking this step into the 20th century. :number1:
The world is ever changing and you just have to roll with the tide or drive yourself absolutely crazy fighting against it.
:twocents:

murphy1
04-08-2007, 12:10 PM
For some reason I already thought they were doing these, seeing as how they had anniversary ceremonies, and conventions and any other profitable venture they could do.

Rick Blaine
04-08-2007, 07:26 PM
To the original poster: thanks for the post, but does anyone have the actual Disney release? I hate reading the third party interpretation of the Disney press release. One problem is with the statement about “Gay” couples now being allowed to participate in the “Fairly Tale Wedding” program. My understanding is gay couples have always been allowed to participate in this. A gay man and a lesbian could get married and participate in this ceremony. I think it is same sex couples that are now being permitted to take part.

the other micki
04-09-2007, 01:01 AM
This will probably be a hot topic for Disney for a while but in a year or maybe even less no one will give it a second thought.

Maybe not for most people, but it really saddens me...I'll probably be taking a closer look at the "Vacation Planning Beyond Disney" forum. I don't believe that making a profit is a justifiable reason to do what they're doing. I won't go any further...I'd probably get edited.

Cinderelley
04-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Maybe not for most people, but it really saddens me...I'll probably be taking a closer look at the "Vacation Planning Beyond Disney" forum. I don't believe that making a profit is a justifiable reason to do what they're doing. I won't go any further...I'd probably get edited.

I'm right there with you. I haven't enjoyed the behaviors I've seen during Gay Days, and neither have my children, so I avoid those days. Now I'll never know when they're having a "wedding" ceremony.

If DH's older kids want to go for a trip, that'll be our last one. If they say no, we won't be back.

I'm really regretting the Disney stock I just bought.

NotaGeek
04-09-2007, 02:31 AM
I'm right there with you. I haven't enjoyed the behaviors I've seen during Gay Days, and neither have my children, so I avoid those days. Now I'll never know when they're having a "wedding" ceremony.

If DH's older kids want to go for a trip, that'll be our last one. If they say no, we won't be back.

I just don't get how this announcement can make anyone want to boycott the fun of Disney just because Disney has decided for whatever reason they are going to continue their push to be fully inclusive and diverse.

A same-sex commitment ceremony is NOT a public Disney function, and if you don't have an invitation, the odds of you walking up to the castle for the 12 minutes that the ceremony might last are SO small I doubt it would ever happen. But, I guess to each their own.

cetacean01
04-09-2007, 09:30 AM

This is where people get confused.
This policy will NOT make everyday at Disney GAY days.

Its a private ceremony, you will probably NOT be invited. You wont have any "behaviors" to observe and not enjoy.

Go to Disney World and relax with the idea that Disney is not going to discriminate against anyone, which frankly, is something we should all be teaching our children anyway.:mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
04-09-2007, 09:36 AM
I just don't get how this announcement can make anyone want to boycott the fun of Disney just because Disney has decided for whatever reason they are going to continue their push to be fully inclusive and diverse.

A same-sex commitment ceremony is NOT a public Disney function, and if you don't have an invitation, the odds of you walking up to the castle for the 12 minutes that the ceremony might last are SO small I doubt it would ever happen. But, I guess to each their own.
Just what I was thinking. Who cares? Let people have recommitment ceremonies on their 10th anniversaries (also NOT marriages, as they are already married) -- Let people get engaged, have a special family event ... WHATEVER! Who cares what the other guy is doing -- chances are, you wont even notice that anything is going on! If the article wasn't printed, I doubt anyone would have noticed. I honestly wouldn't have thought that same sex couples couldn't have the ceremony in the first place...:confused:

jefmblrd
04-09-2007, 10:02 AM
I was so glad to see that Disney has come up with this policy; I"m in agreement 100%!

BrerSchultzy
04-09-2007, 10:37 AM

I'm with everyone else on this...you are never going to be able to walk down a street in America, and be assured that you or your kids won't see something that offends someone...so does that mean you won't go outside anymore? I sure hope not. Personally, I am very genuinely offended by low-rise jeans (when did partial public nudity slip in to "socially acceptable" status?), but I don't expect those jeans to become illegal, or part of some underground and unseen society, so I just have to deal with it.

I completely respect everyone's views on this topic, though. As a Lutheran, this is a very hot topic of debate in my every day life (especially on Sundays). But I don't think this decision actually changes anything. I, like WDWacky, assumed they already allowed this, and this post only surprised me in that aspect. It was a business decision, and that's all. Just like the benefits decision years ago.

the other micki
04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Just what I was thinking. Who cares? Let people have recommitment ceremonies on their 10th anniversaries (also NOT marriages, as they are already married) -- Let people get engaged, have a special family event ... WHATEVER! Who cares what the other guy is doing -- chances are, you wont even notice that anything is going on! If the article wasn't printed, I doubt anyone would have noticed. I honestly wouldn't have thought that same sex couples couldn't have the ceremony in the first place...:confused:

It's not really about me noticing anything or being up close and personal with a "commitment ceremony"; it's just about right and wrong. It's about being at Disneyworld and my conscience being burdened.

TheAdventurer
04-09-2007, 11:40 AM
I fully expect this to have the same damaging effects to Disney as allowing gay marriage has had here in Massachusetts.

In other words, absolutely none at all. Life has gone on just like before.

I think that if there's any anger at Disney for this, it will be mostly short lived and just like gay marriage in Massachusetts, unless you're directly involved as a gay person, or friend or family of one, pretty soon people will just forget to notice that Disney is allowing this.

Ian
04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Okay folks ... I think we've gotten all out of this thread that we can at this point.

This is just one of those topics that people will never agree on, so further debate is pointless. Let's move on.