PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Late Reservation Change

pshokie
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
We currently have reservations for 5 people (me, DW, MIL, DD4 and DS1) for the week of May 6.

MIL has reconsidered and is now firmly planted on the side of "not going", for a variety of reasons. My DW is still attempting to change my MILs mind, but this still creates several scenarios and questions. Questions which I know the unparalleled brilliance and supreme knowledge of this outstanding and truely helpful community will surely be able to answer. (sucking up always helps ;) )

Okay, now to business. I need to makes plans in the event that MIL does not come. We are within the 45 day window, so I know there will be charges. We are paid in full and have already recieved our travel documents (DME, vouchers, etc).

First, and most importantly, when should we put down an absolute deadline for MIL to decide/change her mind? I am very concerned that if we get to close to arrival (say 6 days prior, last of the $100 change fee days) that all of our travel documents will be null and void, and the new ones will still be "in the mail" as we are travelling to WDW. Thus upon arrival, all types of chaos ensues becuase we do not have the proper paper work, whether it be for DME or for the resort check-in or whatever else.

As for ADRs, I am less concerned about those because if need be that could be handled as a "we have one fewer" explaination upon arrival. Although we do have a reservation at CRT for breakfast, I have read some conflicting accounts of some CMs requiring a full cancellation/rebooking to recieve a refund. And since this is a surprise for my DD 4th Brithday, I really do not want to lose our ADR. Extra charge be.....well, you know. But if it is possible just to reduce the size of the party....

There may be some things I am missing, cause I am a little unnerveed about our change in situation at this late date. So please, anything at all would be of great assistance. Especially if it is something I have completely missed.

And on an unrelated note, as a first time resort guest I do not know, and try as I might I could not find this actually detailed anywhere, just hints of it: Do we recieve our actual park tickets (and DDP) at resort check-in as part of our keys to the world card? There is no mention of why our tickets we not in the packet, nor how we we supposed to get them. Just that I had purchased them. Of course I could just be an idiot....:blush:

DizneyRox
04-06-2007, 04:31 PM
If it were me, I would change the plans RIGHT NOW and minimize the penalties. I'm going to guess that you are going to be absorbing the penalties, so to minimize that, make the changes now and then it's too late.

Sounds brutal, but I've been burned before with this and refuse to do it again. I don't understand the thought process of some people. I can only think that since they haven't paid for things it's somehow OK to put up a fuss.

So, call, cancel her, change the necessary ADRs and other reservations and be done. If she changes her mind again, at that point it's too late.

Regarding your exsiting travel documents, chances are they will just say don't use her stuff (DME tags, etc). I don't see any reason why what you have shouldn't be fine. If you bought a package, then you'll get your tickets on your room key when you check in.

I wouldn't worry too much about the dining reservations, but you should cancel the CRT asap so you don't forget and incur a penalty for that as well.

vamaggie
04-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Not to be too personal, but if MIL is "pitching a fit" because of some feelings that got hurt or some family thing that happened, give MIL a firm date (like 3 more days) to decide (although it sounds like from your post that she already has) and if you can't work it out by then call and make the needed changes. Another option is to see if someone else could go in MIL's place. Given the ages of the kids, I would guess you and DW could use another grown up there? Maybe another famly member or close friend would like to go. Good Luck and I hope it all works out for you!!:)

Strmchsr
04-06-2007, 05:20 PM
And on an unrelated note, as a first time resort guest I do not know, and try as I might I could not find this actually detailed anywhere, just hints of it: Do we recieve our actual park tickets (and DDP) at resort check-in as part of our keys to the world card? There is no mention of why our tickets we not in the packet, nor how we we supposed to get them. Just that I had purchased them. Of course I could just be an idiot....:blush:

Hope you get everything resolved with the MIL. I know this is a royal pain for all of you. Now, as for your question, yes, you get your room key upon check in and that room key contains the DDP credits, your park tickets, and the ability to charge things back to your room. So, be sure you carry it (and all the family's) in a very safe place!

pshokie
04-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Just to clear up the issue a little, MIL has some mobility issues. She decided to excuse herself from the trip becasue she does not want to be, as she put it, a burden.

Since I am inside the 45 day window already, (actually 30 days and counting) I was looking for some guidance on what the last realistic date would be before cancelling her slot on the reservation. We (especially DW) would realy like to wait for a "I can/can't do it" answer from her if we can. This may be her only shot at going to WDW unless her mobility improves. But I do not want to wait too long at the expense of messing up our reservations.

My personnal preference is to get a definitive an answer no later than 15 days prior to our arrival (or April 21). While WDTC indicates that they will take changes up to the day prior of our arrival (for a mere $200, gee thanks), I do not want to push it that close.

I just don't know if I should push that back an additional 5 to 10 days.