PDA

View Full Version : why must you be 40" for Soarin?

kadesha
04-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Does it go really high or something? It is actually moving?

Sorry guys, I'm :confused:

My 3 year old REALLY wants to ride, but is only 36".

Christine
04-06-2007, 02:57 PM
It does go high and it does move. The rows of seats move out and upward in front of the screen. The top row goes quite a ways up there.

Throughout the "flight " the chairs dip, lean, etc.

Tell your little one to eat their veggies and maybe they'll shoot up before the big trip! :mickey:

robhink
04-06-2007, 02:58 PM
The ride lifts off the ground towards a screen, I think the top rows are about 40 feet or so above the ground, so seat belts are a must for the ride.

Jasper
04-06-2007, 03:05 PM
I know this is going to sound off topic, but I promise I am doing this to make a point and it will make sense in the end.

I live very close to a small theme park called Holiday World here in southern Indiana. A few years ago a very small adult woman who just barely met the height requirement and who weighed only about 80 pounds purposefully wiggled out of her properly latched restraints, stood up while the coaster was in motion, fell out and died. During the course of trying to explain what happened in court the manufacturer of the roller coaster, Philadelphia Tobaggon(sp), explained some of the science of heights and weights of humans and how that caused them to determine the minimum height for any ride. While I don't claim to know all the science or understand it all, basically though there is a lot of study done on any new ride to determine the minimum height that is safe.

I know that is a long way to go to say that I am sure Disney did their own research and determined that this is the minimum height at which point it is reasonable to expect someone to stay in the safety restraints.

Imagineer1981
04-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Height requirements are strictly used to make sure you can be restrained

BelleBeauty
04-06-2007, 06:15 PM
The ride has 3 different levels of seating, and the top one goes very high (I think it is way above 40 feet but I'm not sure). Even for guests who hit thr 40" mark and slightly above, they have special restraints to make sure that they don't fall out of the ride.

I get nervous and I'm 5'7!

LoriMistress
04-06-2007, 06:44 PM
You're up high and it's moving. Plus, they have to make sure that you're at least tall enough to ride it without slipping out of it.

TheRustyScupper
04-06-2007, 06:55 PM
1) Unfortunately, you have to have rules.
2) Restraints are designed for minimum body sizes.
3) Evidently, the body size on Soarin' is 40".
4) Hopefully by next year she will be tall enough.

MinnieMommie
04-06-2007, 10:00 PM
The requirements/restrictions are for our safety. I know how disappointed your little one will be but soon enough he/she will be big enough. :mickey:

battle beast
04-07-2007, 02:21 PM
It's for your own safety, but some of those children in the promo videos look pretty small...

AmberB
04-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Now you have an excuse to go back next year! We went last June and my son missed it because he was only 36 inches. We were so excited whent he doctor measured him at 40 1/2 last month, because we're heading to the world in May!!!! :cloud9:

LudwigVonDrake
04-08-2007, 08:14 PM
I am sure it's all tied into the safety restraints :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
I agree. The car seat that we have in place in our car is good to 40" as well....so it's all related to a standard somewhere I am sure. It's a good reason to plan another trip kadesha! :thumbsup:

Jared
04-09-2007, 10:45 AM
If not for the height requirement, small people would constantly fall out of the ride vehicle, inevitably to their doom. Even the third row is high.

Your daughter may be disappointed, but the restrictions are not random. Use this setback as a reason to take another vacation.