PDA

View Full Version : 3-D cake help needed...quick!

Christine
04-06-2007, 02:25 PM
I am making our Easter cake...wait, I should say I am "attempting" to make our Easter cake.

I have the Williams Sonoma 3-D bunny cake. The pan has the two halves of the bunny, then when the cakes are cooked and cooled, you stand them up and "glue" them together with icing. Well, he's starting to come apart at the seams!

I am thinking of using shishkabob skewers. Any ideas???

DizneyRox
04-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Skewers might be too thin, but it's worth a shot...

That's a tough one!

A long time ago my mother used to make a rabbit cake, much easier that I think what you're trying to do... Bake two round cakes. One you leave round, the other you cut into three shapes. Use the pan to create two almond shape pieces leaving a bowtie shape piece. Now you stack them the long way, the two almond shaped pieces are the ears, the round cake is the face, and the bowtie shape is a bowtie.

Frost it, as you wish and BINGO!

Good luck!

eas423
04-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Sounds like you and I would be on the same page....I would use two dowel rod horizontally...maybe you have too much "glue" in between the pieces?

You might also call the store to see if they have any suggestions...

Good luck!

Christine
04-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the info...

This poor little guy...his hips are starting to spread. I have succeeded in making the first middle-aged Easter Bunny cake ever!

kakn7294
04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm going to suggest that you keep him in the fridge - it will help firm up the icing "glue" and hopefully help keep him together until he can become dessert.

Christine
04-06-2007, 04:05 PM
DH has the camera today as he is out fishing. When he gets back, I will have to take a picture of this thing.

Do you think his family will be offended that I am serving them roadkill rabbit for dessert? Should I run to Kroger and buy some back-up cupcakes???:blush:

kakn7294
04-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Lay it on it's side - then it'll look like real roadkill. I wouldn't be offended by a cake that didn't turn out well as far as the decorations as long as it still tastes good but the cupcakes or some other dessert might not be a bad idea in case it really falls to pieces.

Beast_fanatic
04-06-2007, 04:40 PM
My sister tried making a 3D lamb cake years ago. His head kept falling off. Dowels did help, but it was very difficult to cut.

Dsnygirl
04-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info...

This poor little guy...his hips are starting to spread. I have succeeded in making the first middle-aged Easter Bunny cake ever!

Maybe if you weren't spending so much time beating Jasper on JQ, you would've noticed all the chocolate your bunny was eating... maybe that's why his hips are spreading... not that I would understand anything about that happening... I never eat too much Easter candy... :funny:

Seriously, no good advice here... I've made the same flat Easter bunny cake for years, but one year decided to put it in the oven while we went to church so the cat wouldn't be tempted... lets just say I should've looked before I turned the oven on for the ham! Can you say "melted rabbit" for dessert???:D

conorsmom2000
04-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Don't worry about how looks - it will taste great and everyone will be impressed with the effort! :mickey:

Just an fyi for the future - Wilton makes the best 3-D cake pans that I've used. I did a cute one for Conor's 1st birthday - it was a mini-cake, just for him of a bear - you had the front and back of the bear, that you put together into this little stand, poured the batter in the top, then clipped it closed, and baked it like that. When it cooled, you just unclipped it, took it out of the stand, and gently pulled the front and back off. Very easy! (and he looked stunned to a have a bear in front of him that he could eat! :D )

Jasper
04-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Was the cake completely cool before you started putting them together? If not, that will cause the icing to melt and allow it to come apart. Also, it is usually good to make the iceing for the glue stiffer than normal by not putting in as much liquid as you would for normal icing.

If all else fails though a few good dowel rods might help.

Marilyn Michetti
04-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Try the dowels, but I'm guessing maybe he wasn't completely cooked in the middle. Those 3-D pans can fool you into thinking they're done, but......

Good luck !:thumbsup:

Christine
04-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Well, it got ugly. Downright ugly! So for fear that the kids would be terrified of a rabbit cake that looked straight out of the Pet Cemetary movie, I made another cake in a plain old Bundt pan!

The bunny pan will be going on Ebay before next Easter!!:thedolls: