TR: March 27 - April 1 - Day 4

Participants:
Trev :mickey:
DG (Disney Grandma)
DS1 (Disney Son 1, the oldest, 7)
DS2 (Disney Son 2, a twin, 4)
DS3 (Disney Son 3, the other twin, 4)

Walt Disney World Day 4

We were so tired from the day before that we slept in this morning, plus it was overcast so that added to our justification. We finally did wake up though and headed out to catch a bus to MGM Studios. We didn't eat breakfast at all so when we got to MGM we rented a stroller and headed over to Starring Rolls. The line was long and it was getting late so we decided to see if we could get in early to Sci Fi Dine In. We had ADRs for 1:20 PM but we were all hungry for some lunch. It was a little after 11 AM when they seated us. I forgot how cool the inside of this place is. It really feels like you're at a drive in movie theatre during the 1950s. DS1 and DS2 made me sit in the middle between them in the front seat while DG and DS3 sat behind us. The place was really deserted at this hour so no one sat in the 3rd seat at the very back of the car. Of course I ordered the cheeseburger and the boys had milkshakes and hot dogs, except DS3 who had a milkshake and the mac and cheese. DG had a bowl of chili which she said was awful. :sick: The boys really enjoyed the sci fi movie clips especially the Tom and Jerry one. Some of those B movie commercials are really hilarious. We finished our meal and headed out into the park after the clip reel was showing for a second time. DG decided she would like to go and spend some time on her own shopping and what not so the boys and I were on our own. First we went on Star Tours. We got our picture taken with one of the stormtroopers :trooper: patrolling the area and then got in line for the ride. Unfortunately just as we were stepping onto the ride, DS2 had to go to the bathroom REALLY BAD DAD! The CMs were great though and let us step through and out to the exit and let us back in the same way when DS2 was "all done Dad!" I love this ride, and so did the boys but DS1 really doesn't enjoy physically altering rides and he got scared. Later he told me he liked it though of course. The boys and I just love Star Wars so we took our time in the gift shop after the ride and checked out all the latest Star Wars toys. We then strolled down the city streets and lo and behold, there's the new Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show and it's just about to start letting people in! While we waited we checked out the Power Rangers who were hanging out signing autographs. DS2 just loves the Power Rangers. Finally we got in line for the show and listened to the cars revving up inside the stadium. The show was actually really cool! We got to see all of the behind the scenes tricks they use to film car chases and other car stunts. I won't give away the secrets here but I will say this show is worth the wait. After that we went to the Honey I shrunk the Kids playground and the boys really loved that. It's really a neat playground with all kinds of nooks and crannies for the children to explore. It was nice because I could take a rest while they played to their hearts' content. I was able to talk them into going on the Backlot Tour, they thought it sounded boring but I remembered it as being very interesting and definitely exciting when you go into the set with the rocker tables, water and fire. THAT was actually scarier than I remembered, of course now I look at it from the context of a 7 year old and two 4 year olds. Actually, DS1 really liked the first part of the tour when a family is chosen to participate in the special effects from Pearl Harbor. He thought that was funny. One thought I had is that I got a better feeling from MGM Studios this time. Maybe it has something to do with being with the people you love and sharing the experience with them. The only other time I had been here was by myself about 3 years ago. The next attraction we went to was the Muppet 3D movie. This movie would have been fine if they had not included the little 3D character, who's not even a muppet as far as I know. That element just seemed to ruin it for me...and actually the children didn't really seem too thrilled either. I love the muppets and so do the boys but this movie just seemed cheap to me. After that we ran screaming into the Chinese Theatre for the Great Movie Ride, literally. The CM at the door saw us coming and ran for cover hiding behind one of the pillars in the theatre. The boys just laughed and laughed at this. We really enjoyed this ride, the CM's name was Mac and he really got into his part. Some of the recreations were really fun, like the Cagney streets and the Alien ship, lots of fun. Well, by now it was time to meet DG for dinner at the 50s Prime Time Cafe. The children sat at the bar while we waited for our table and had kiddie cocktails, they love the cherries. We were finally seated after about 30 minutes and were served by cousin Lorraine. She was a real doll and went out of her way to make everyone happy, even DG who thought her chocolate malt was too chocolaty! DG and I had the pot roast (excellent) and the children had their usual kid food. Personal note: my sons are very picky eaters, not so much DS2 but the other two are ver picky. I usually only see my sons every other weekend due to the way our custody is set up so I don't have a giant influence on their eating habits. I tend to pick my battles with them very cautiously and I've chosen not to make food one of them. Anywho, the meal was a success and after that everyone was ready to go back to the resort :tikki: and just hang out, play some air hockey etc. They do have this really cool boxing game, you actually box with a virtual boxer, DS1 knocked this guy out in the first round, it was really fun! A little Zach and Cody later and everyone was snoring. Only two more nights left!

January-2007
04-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Another fun day! It's too bad you didn't like the Muppets, it's one of our most favorites! (Then again, we are really really into the Muppets...) Glad you liked the 50s Prime Time, we are planning to have dinner there this fall. With waiting in line for Star Tours, isn't the timing impecable? Kids will be kids. Glad you had a good day at MGM, we really love this park. :mickey:

scottgr
04-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Sounds like a good day :mickey:

faline
04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
All the best elements of a great park day - rides, relaxation, themed restaurants, and good food!

pdrlkr
04-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

magicman
04-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Nothing says kids quite like their timing & immediate urgency of their restroom needs.

I'm really glad to hear that you had such good interaction with the CMs all through your trip.

It sounds like you liked the 50's Prime Time better than the Sci-Fi? I think I'll try the 50's next time since I've already done the Sci Fi.

You guys had to be exhausted, but it sounds like an extremely successful trip so far.

Thanks again for writing.

Bethis26fan
04-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Sounds like another great and busy day.