PDA

View Full Version : When to take baby?

Disney's My Goal
04-06-2007, 11:08 AM
While my husband and I consider ourselves the dynamic Disney duo, in November we became a trio when we welcomed a beautiful baby girl. Here's the question- when is it a manageable time to take baby? As mu husband and I are both teachers, we are limited to summer travel. Would baby be ready to go next summer (2008) or do you recommend waiting another year? Our trip will involve a three hour flight, so info regardig this is also appreciated.

Strmchsr
04-06-2007, 11:29 AM
This really is up to each individual child. I, as an infant, flew from the time I was less than a month old. Never a problem. My oldest son was a travel problem until he was about 3, my youngest has done well almost from the start. It's up to your individual baby. If your child is laid back and easy to travel, go ahead. If not then wait. There is no set age as when it's right to take a child to WDW. Just remember if you do take the baby next summer, the trip will be about you and your husband as the baby will not be old enough to know what's going on. Also, though, remember that you'll need lots of sun screen, lots of water, and you'll need to take breaks as a baby can't handle the FL heat and humidity like adults. Good luck with your planning!

TiggerRPh
04-06-2007, 11:42 AM
While my husband and I consider ourselves the dynamic Disney duo, in November we became a trio when we welcomed a beautiful baby girl. Here's the question- when is it a manageable time to take baby? As mu husband and I are both teachers, we are limited to summer travel. Would baby be ready to go next summer (2008) or do you recommend waiting another year? Our trip will involve a three hour flight, so info regardig this is also appreciated.

Our first trip to WDW was when our oldest was 4, the next two kids went to WDW for the first time when they were 2 weeks old and a year and a half.

We have had no problems taking the kids when they were very little but then we go 1-2 times per year so it's not an issue.

I think that you'll be okay but if you're not planning on going to WDW again for a while, it might be best to wait.

MsMin
04-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I suggest that babies have enough immunities before going.
I've taken my own as young as 4 months in the summer. I think the winter months are a little tougher on a newborn b/c of the possible exposure to cold and increase in flu/viruses.
I work with some professionals that believe it's absurd to take a child before the age of 3 b/c they can't fully comprehend the park and characters. I happen to disagree because I think the parents have a right to enjoy the experience of a toddler in the park and take wonderful pictures for great memories. It can be a great experience. As strmchsr mentioned it can depend on the child but also the parent. If you can handle the child at the mall for an extended period then you are mostly ready for the parks. Be flexible.
As far as flights, sometimes children get more fearful when they are slightly older b/c they do understand more. Younger ones don't comprehend the flight and many are more managable. Remember to make sure your baby is free of a runny nose b/c any sinus problems can cause ear pain and make for a terrible flight. It's always great to fly with a little antihistamine incase you need to release sinus pressure in flight. We always did and it was very useful.
I say plan for a wonderful time next summer :minnie:

kakn7294
04-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Let the baby decide! If she is good about long days on the move, can sleep anywhere, doesn't mind having her routine disrupted, and is pretty easygoing about the characters and dark rides, then she can probably go at any time. I hear parents talk about how taking a baby was the worst experience in their lives and others who say it was the best. We took our oldest DD when she was 13 mo old and it was great! She handled it like an old pro and fared very well. She didn't mind the plane ride (it was a little under 2 hrs) and loved the whole Disney experience - and we created a monster. Yes, the trip was for us as parents - we have the memories, but she loves to look back at her pictures and ask questions. As your baby gets older and you see her personality emerge, you'll figure out when the time is right.

iheartdisney
04-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I work with some professionals that believe it's absurd to take a child before the age of 3 b/c they can't fully comprehend the park and characters. I happen to disagree because I think the parents have a right to enjoy the experience of a toddler in the park and take wonderful pictures for great memories. It can be a great experience. :minnie:

My son (who just turned 3 yrs.) has been to WDW 4 times and each time he/we come back with cherished memories. He still talks about our last 2 (!) trips.

You have to...

...know your child and what he/she can handle.
...pace yourself.
...take time to smell the roses.

As a good friend of mine says, "Focus on the doing rather than the getting done."

Congratulations and have a wonderful trip!

Christine
04-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I suggest that babies have enough immunities before going.

I second this! There are people from ALL OVER THE WORLD down there! Shoot, I feel over-exposed to all the various germs and critters when I am down there, especially if it is crowded!

Get those shots done and THEN you'll have a better defense for baby!

TikiGoddess
04-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I've been to the world with children at the following ages (two daughters): 6 mos, 8 mos, 18 mos, 20 mos, 2.5 yrs, 3 yrs, and 3.5 yrs. My 2nd daughter was born in November like your little girl (and my DH and I are both teachers!). We also visit in the summer time.

Our first trip with a baby was with our 1st daughter when she was 6 mos old. At that point she was just along for the ride. We didn't do any of the major attractions that she couldn't ride (although baby swap is possible we didn't partake). She did have to slow our pace down but at that age she slept in the stroller when she was tired. It was so great to have her there with us, to introduce her to a place that we both love.

So, what's my point? If you and your husband want to go Disney, bring her along for the ride. I think you can bring a baby/toddler at any age, as long as you're willing to slow down a little and realize that traveling with kids (especially on an airplane) is not going to be as relaxing as traveling on your own.

TikiG

Dyanna
04-09-2007, 02:06 PM
We will be taking our daughter to Disney for her first time in October 2007. During this time she will be 10 1/2 months old.

Disney's My Goal
04-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the responses! A couple more specific questions-

at what age can baby be taken on dark rides like Winnie the Pooh, Pan or Small World?

How do babies generally tolerate the heat of August? We usually take a break in the afternoons anyway...is there a general time span in the parks that baby is limited to?

Strmchsr
04-20-2007, 07:06 PM
T

at what age can baby be taken on dark rides like Winnie the Pooh, Pan or Small World?

How do babies generally tolerate the heat of August? We usually take a break in the afternoons anyway...is there a general time span in the parks that baby is limited to?

Beginning at conception. If there's no height requirement then you can take your baby on the ride. That said, every child has a different temperment. Some babies you can scream in their face and they'll laugh. Some you can just raise an eyebrow and they lose it. You know you child best and are the only "expert" on when is the right time.
August heat with an infant should only be done in very small doses. I wouldn't do it more than 2-3 hours at the time-early, early in the morning when the park first opens and then get inside until 5-6 pm or so when the heat begins to lessen. Babies' bodies cannot regulate body temperature as well as adults and babies are at high risk for dehydration, which can be critical for infants. So, lots and lots of water, sunscreen of SPF 80 or higher (use the "infant" sunscreen that is now out), and avoid being out in the parks from around 11 am to 5-6 pm.

disneynanny
04-20-2007, 09:19 PM
This is my first post so please forgive me if i make a mistake. If you go to info cantral click on Children-Traveling With. There are alot of helpful info that should make you and your little Minnie more comfortable. Have a magical time and take alot of pictures.

faline
04-21-2007, 04:16 PM
This is my first post so please forgive me if i make a mistake. If you go to info cantral click on Children-Traveling With. There are alot of helpful info that should make you and your little Minnie more comfortable. Have a magical time and take alot of pictures.

Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

You did just fine on your first post!

disneynanny
04-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Thank you Faline!
And again Disney''s my Goal have a wonderful trip and congrats on your impending arrival.
Also remember to give the little one a bottle during take off and landing as this will help with pressure in the ear.

jedimick08
04-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Just to add a little more to this thread:
My advice would be in line with what everyone else has said. Most importantly, don't listen to the people that say "They won't even remember it". Because you and your husband will remember it. And if you take pictures and video you will always have it to look back on and show your daughter.

We first took our kids in 2005 when they were 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. I don't think the 1 1/2 year old remembers anything except what we show him from the video. But my now 5 year old always surprises me with what he remembers from the trip. Just yesterday he asked me if I remembered when he ate sausage for the first time in the place with the big wheel. It took my DW and I some time to figure out that he meant a breakfast sausage at the Boatwright's Dining Hall at Port Orleans Riverside.:mickey:

momof3+twins
04-23-2007, 02:35 PM
As you can see by my name (mom of 3 +twins), we have 5 kids. #1 went at 15 months, #2 at 19 months, # 3 at 10 months, and #4 and #5 are going to be having their first trip at 19 months. Babies do really well at Disney World. Use the baby stations and take breaks for naps. It is actually easier to take a 10 month old than a 2 year old. The 2 year old is walking and has a mind of their own. I think that next summer or even this summer would work. Just keep the heat in mind and get out of the park in the heat of the day. Do the parks in the evening and let the baby sleep in the stroller ( mine have actually slept through rides). And they may not remember but you will. So, don't let everyone tell you not to take them for that reason! Have fun!!:mickey:

Belle--86
04-24-2007, 10:09 PM
This is our 5 year old DD's fifth trip in July and we have had no problems, we have even gone with extended family. Alow rest time, our DDs great we have pictures of her sleepingin her carraige in evet park. Be flexiable, anything can happen when travling with little ones. Most of all enjoy their reaction and excitement to everything.:) :)

kgoulash
04-25-2007, 11:25 AM
i agree its up to you and your baby. some in my family think i'm crazy for taking a 7 mo old on our next trip but my parents started me at 3 weeks!
have fun:mickey: