PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

Tynkerbelle
04-05-2007, 04:46 PM
We're thinking of moving out of state in a year or two - though not sure where just yet - so I'm always interested in hearing about what life is like in other parts of the country...

Someone told me they have family in one of the Carolina's (can't remember which) and that they pay yearly property taxes on all that they own, not just their real estate. For example, they pay sales tax to buy a new car and then get an annual property tax on the car on top of that.... Cars, boats, etc. are all subject to this tax..... Can this be?

This is going to be a good segue to my next post about life in other states.... Stay tuned...

drummerboy
04-05-2007, 04:52 PM
There is a yearly tax on cars, boats, etc. in North Carolina. I just got a bill the other day for my car. We also pay ad valorem real estate taxes, but I believe our rates are generally much lower than those in other states.

MsMin
04-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I know when my parents lived in MS they paid Tx based on the value of their car everytime they renewed their plate. There are lots of differences in taxes among the states. Sometimes if you don't pay for one thing you end up paying for something else down the road e.g. higher sales tax, higher personal state tax, estate tax. Only thing is certain is TAX.
We pay only once, when you purchase, then an average of $40 for renewal.

Jimenyfan
04-05-2007, 05:20 PM
I live in SC and we pay property taxes on our home and vehicles. With that being said, we moved here 10yrs ago from south jersey where I was paying $3600 property taxes on a home worth $130,000. I know pay $1100 property taxes on a home worth $180,000. Our vehicle taxes decrease every year as our vehicles get older. We are still know where near paying the taxes we paid in NJ. Our insurance in alot cheaper too.

pixieprelude
04-05-2007, 05:21 PM
I live in CT and we get taxed on everything! When you buy a car you pay taxes and then you must pay car taxes every year to the town you live in. There are so many taxes!

Jasper
04-05-2007, 05:58 PM
There is a fairly big difference from state to state both in terms of what they tax and at what rate they tax. What really makes it confusing is both when you pay these various taxes and what they call them. For example; in Indiana when you get your license plate each year you pay both excise tax as well as a wheel tax. In other states both of those taxes are rolled into one.

The best thing to do is to select a state or few states you are interested in moving to and then contacting each state and ask about their taxes. The other thing to do is go online and check. Most states now have web sites with all that info.

If you have narrowed your choice of locations down to a specific community you may also want to contact the local Chamber of Commerce. Most local Chamber offices not only have all the state taxes and fees information but they usually also have local information. State websites or offices often don't have city or county information.

jillluvsdisney
04-05-2007, 08:41 PM
We do not have to pay vehicle taxes yearly in Wisconsin. I've never heard of such a thing. That really blows my mind.

We have a fairly high income tax rate and when you retire, your pension is taxed. I think that's a rarity among the 50 states.

crazypoohbear
04-06-2007, 07:36 AM
We pay tax on our cars every year in MA. EXCICE TAX. This on top of property tax.
I never thought about it before. I just assumed everyone was taxed on their vehicles every year. Supposedly, this tax is to help with the upkeep of the roads!:mad: then how come we have so many potholes:confused:

Tynkerbelle
04-06-2007, 09:04 AM
What about a car that's leased - do you pay a yearly tax on it even though technically you don't own it?

Scar
04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. No matter what, you will still be paying way less than in NJ. :rolleyes:

Bethis26fan
04-06-2007, 10:06 AM
What about a car that's leased - do you pay a yearly tax on it even though technically you don't own it?

In South Carolina you do. Also some counties within states have diffrent taxes.

snowflakegirl
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I live in CT and we get taxed on everything! When you buy a car you pay taxes and then you must pay car taxes every year to the town you live in. There are so many taxes!

I agree! And the real estate taxes are pretty steep in most places in CT, too.

DizneyRox
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
We pay tax on our cars every year in MA. EXCICE TAX. This on top of property tax.
I never thought about it before. I just assumed everyone was taxed on their vehicles every year. Supposedly, this tax is to help with the upkeep of the roads!:mad: then how come we have so many potholes:confused:
Makes you wonder why there's so many tolls too, as that's supposed to pay for the roads.

Tynkerbelle
04-06-2007, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. No matter what, you will still be paying way less than in NJ. :rolleyes:

That's just one of the many reasons why we want to leave - and I'll even get to pay a nice tax for that priviege!

Jasper
04-06-2007, 01:14 PM
We do not have to pay vehicle taxes yearly in Wisconsin. I've never heard of such a thing. That really blows my mind.

We have a fairly high income tax rate and when you retire, your pension is taxed. I think that's a rarity among the 50 states.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Even though they may not call it a tax, when you pay to get your license plate that is really a tax. Now what all they roll into that fee is different in each state but the end result is that you pay some type of vehicle tax regardless of what they call it or how often they collect. This is just like playing the lottery in those states where it is offered. Most people don't recognize it as one but it is a tax just like anything else you pay to the government. The only difference is that the lottery is a voluntary tax rather than a mandatory one.

I am trying to remember where I saw it, but some time back I saw an article that compared taxes all across the country. The people who wrote the article did a good job of detailing everything that people in each state pay to their governments. The part that stayed with me is that although there certainly are differences from one state to the next in how the money is collected, in the end your total cost is not terribly different from one state to the next. The only exceptions were California, Illinois and New York where those people paid WAY more than anyone else.

The other thing that stuck with me from that article is that they made a point of saying several times in the article that you have to be very careful in researching taxes because states and those who support them are good at only talking about those fees and taxes that are especially low in their state and not about the ones that are high. For example, in Indiana we have a fairly low income tax rate but our property tax rate is fairly high.

If I think of where I saw it and if I can find it again I will post that article.

The bottom line is that basically anything you pay to the government is a tax regardless of what they call it. Dog license, property tax, license plate or driver license fees, income tax, lottery purchase, etc. are all taxes even though they may not call it that.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Don't move here. They don't call us Taxachusetts for nothing! We'vehad a lot of people in MA move out in the last few years due to taxes and the high cost of living. Excise tax on cars, real estate tax on property, state tax when you buy something and so on and so on.
And in MA you do pay the excise tax on a leased vehicle as well.