PDA

View Full Version : usps mail

magicofdisney
04-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Has anyone ever been in this situation?

We're moving to a new home. We close on our old home about 6 days before we close on the new home. So we'll be without a delivery address. What are we supposed to do with our mail? I don't know if I should go ahead and forward it to the new address. But I don't want to be restricted from it since obviously we won't get the key to the mailbox until we close on the new place. Is there anyone out there with any experience that can guide me. I'd much appreciate it.

ldn324
04-05-2007, 03:57 PM
You should be able to forward your mail and have the new post office hold it for pickup. There's probably a form to fill out but any post office should have that form that they could forward to your new post office.

Good luck with your move!

dizneyfreek
04-05-2007, 04:25 PM
To make it even easier, just go to usps.com and you can put a hold on your mail and enter your new forwarding address on their web site. no need to go to the post office! If you need your mail everyday, i would call the post office in the town your moving to and tell them you filled out a forward but you want them to hold the mail so you can pick up yourself until you get your key to your new mailbox.

CleveSJM
04-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I would suggest having your old post office hold it. Wait until you are in the new house and then start the forward and pick up the held mail.

Worked for me for a couple months while we were in between houses. I didn't want to ever use the apartment address.

Of course, if you are moving far away, picking up might be an issue but I'm sure the USPS could get it to you.

magicofdisney
04-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback. We're only moving across town, so hopefully that will make it easier. I was aware I can do things online, I just didn't realize I could hold and forward all at one time. I'll give that a try. I'm so thankful to have the ability to do things online.

Jasper
04-05-2007, 10:56 PM
To make it even easier, just go to usps.com and you can put a hold on your mail and enter your new forwarding address on their web site. no need to go to the post office! If you need your mail everyday, i would call the post office in the town your moving to and tell them you filled out a forward but you want them to hold the mail so you can pick up yourself until you get your key to your new mailbox.

whether you hold it at your new or your old post office is really a matter of convenience more than anything. If your old post office is close to your new house you may want to consider having it held there because those people will be more familiar with your mail and will recognize your name. Of course if it is a long distance than you will want to have it held at your new post office.

Either way, the most efficient way to set everything up is to go online. Our local post office has said that there is less chance of a mistake when you make your request on line.

BronxTigger
04-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Another option is to rent a post office box for a few months while you are between homes, but then you will have to do a change of address twice. That is what we did when we were between homes once, but our move was 1200 miles.