PDA

View Full Version : Waste of Time?

Brer Longhorn
04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
It's been almost a decade sense I've done the backlot tour and I can't remember much about it except Catastrophe Canyon. I just don't recall it being anything special. Does my memory serve me well, is it a waste of time? Or do I need to give it another try?

SandmanGStefani24
04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
i'd say you saw it at or near its peak. all the house facades and props that used to be there are all gone now. based on the way it was and what it is now, I'd say skip it until it gets a revamp. Just my opinion...

2disneyfans
04-05-2007, 03:15 PM
i'd say you saw it at or near its peak. all the house facades and props that used to be there are all gone now. based on the way it was and what it is now, I'd say skip it until it gets a revamp. Just my opinion...

I'd have to agree. I saw it when the houses were there and loved seeing the "Golden Girls' house. Comparing that to what I saw this past April, I was disappointed. DH had never seen it before last year and he was not impressed at all. I would spend more time on other Disney attractions. Just my :twocents:

mcjaco
04-05-2007, 04:01 PM
The backlot tour is pretty much a big waste of time now. Basically you hop onto the tram, they drive you through the custom and prop warehouses, past some POTC movie props and into Catastrophe Canyon and back to the "Movie's Best Villians" exhibit.

It hasn't been the same without the neighborhood and all the other goodies.

lightyearfan
04-05-2007, 04:04 PM
you know sometimes people make me laugh, almost half of the posters on intercot pan MGM for keeping the rides the same and never changing anything up, well the backlot tour has changed and guess what people are still unhappy with this ride, lets not forget that the main part of this ride is the canyon and just looking at prop houses, i have no issue what so ever that this ride has changed in some form, and isn't really a rule of thumb that when in Disney do everything?

of course this is just my humble opionion

Victor

mcjaco
04-05-2007, 04:12 PM
^ When the park opened, it was a "true" backlot tour, just like Universal. They drove you through sets, the canyon, you walked through warehouses, etc. Now it's just a drive through the Canyon.

It's OK to not change rides. This is one that shouldn't have been.

A Mouse Fan
04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
BIG Waste of Time....if you have been on it...once is enough! :cool:

GrumpyFan
04-05-2007, 04:25 PM
The last time we went on the backlot tour, they had the Pearl Harbor set for the pre-show which is somewhat entertaing. Followed by the show, you walk thru a "warehouse" that appears to get update with new props every now and then, but not a lot. Then there is the tram tour which takes you thru costuming/wardrobe, then past the vehicles, then out to Catastrophe Canyon. If you're lucky you might get to see a little bit of the Lights, Motors, Action stunt show.

It's not completely lame, but it's nothing near what it used to be. The Catastrophe Canyon bit is completely worn out and desperately needs something new.

BelleandtheBeast
04-05-2007, 04:39 PM
I have never done this, but if you have already been on the tour and didn't enjoy it, don't waste time doing it a second time.

poeticeclipse
04-05-2007, 06:04 PM
If you've never done it. Do it. But if you have done it before you probably won't want to do it again. Sadly, it's getting worse with time. All of the best props are gone and the houses as well. I do love seeing Walt's plane though. I'd go on it for that alone.

LoriMistress
04-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Don't do it. It's a complete waste of time.

Kristi Kay
04-05-2007, 06:27 PM
im with everyone else....waste of time.

Dopey's Girl
04-05-2007, 10:26 PM
It isn't something that we do every trip, but is nice to head too when you need a little rest and want to see something without a line! I wouldn't see this over, well anything, in MGM, but if you are in the area and need a break, it is a nice way to rest!

JPL
04-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Definately a waste of time now :(

TiggerRPh
04-06-2007, 12:11 AM
It's been almost a decade sense I've done the backlot tour and I can't remember much about it except Catastrophe Canyon. I just don't recall it being anything special. Does my memory serve me well, is it a waste of time? Or do I need to give it another try?

It is a waste of time now.....the only thing that has any redeeming value is Catastrophe Canyon and that's getting old.

Without Residential Street, the tour is pretty pointless.

Christine
04-06-2007, 12:16 AM
I did the Backlot Tour on our trip in October 2006. I say skip it! I found myself constantly fidgeting, thumbing through my receipts, messing with the tools function menu on my cell phone...totally bored.

TiggerRPh
04-06-2007, 01:34 AM
It does kill a good hour...and if you're going to kill it, might as well kill it good.

:mickey:

WDW1985
04-06-2007, 01:40 AM
There's no doubt that Disney has failed to keep this ride interesting and that's unfortunate, because with Disney's imagineers they could make this ride incredible. They could do so many things with that ride to put the person into the movies, but it just falls short. It's almost like Disney forgot the ride is there. It just fails to bring that classic "Disney Magic" that so many other rides have in common. Those are the rides that true Disney fans never want to change because of that magic. Ride it once if you never have, but save the second trip for something else.

:mickey:

SpecJoe Magic
04-06-2007, 01:51 AM
It's a shame that it has become such a pathetic attraction because it was one of the park's best experiences from its opening in '89 until the park ceased to be a real working studio. There isn't much point in a backstage tour of a movie studio that isn't actually a movie studio anymore. Revisiting your favorite attractions is a better choice than devoting time to the tour.

butterfly18237
04-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Do they still have the special effects part of this? I went in 2002 and my friend and I were picked to be in the special effects show. I thought that was cool since I was apart of it.

prttynpnk
04-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Is there another way to get to the AFI Villians display? Without the tour?

lightyearfan
04-06-2007, 12:48 PM
you know guys and gals, let's be real here if we feel this way about this ride thats its boring and needs to updated then what about all the other attractions that WDW has to offer? i mean me and dw pretty much love everything there is to love about WDW, and you know no matter how many times that you ride its a small world, peter pans flight go threw the haunted mansion, isn't it always the same ride?? i know what your going to say next, that they're Disney classics and we agree, but that doesn't change the fact that no matter what MGM tries to do it's going to get slammed people are already questioning why bring in Toy story Mania, i also know that you cant always make everyone happy , but for us when were on The Backlot Tour or were at any other place at WDW and something isn't going good or the lines might be too long or it's too hot, i always tell my wife , well it beats being at work!!

Sorry if i sound a little upset it just bothers me that no matter what changes are made to this ride, be it good or bad, they're are those who are going to hate it no matter what, what changes would you like to do?? i mean the best part of this ride is the canyon ,and for me i didn't get any thrill what so ever in seeing prop houses, im sorry there is no excitement in looking at houses, and that seems to be the reason why people are upset that you dont get to see the golden girls house

VIctor

dumbo ears
04-06-2007, 01:18 PM
i still haven't done the backlot tour next. maybe i will the next time i go

Donald A
04-06-2007, 04:28 PM
My wife and I did the tour in November and I disagree with most on here. It is worth doing! They have some neat props like Walt Disney's plane that he flew to the world's fair to debut COP. Now don't get me wrong, I won't wait an hour to do it, but my wife and I walked right on to it and I enjoyed it. If anything else you can sit there and relax. Catastrophe Canyon is worth seeing too. I agree with Victor. I consider this to be classic MGM. I know i'll get hate mail for this statement BUT ..... I would rather do the Backlot Tour than It's a Small World. (I do both every trip BTW)

LudwigVonDrake
04-06-2007, 05:45 PM
If you've never done it....DO IT :mickey:

Bill George
04-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I personally think the entire park is a waste of time excpet for Rock & Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. It does have some nice attractions like th movie ride and star tours...but wake up. It needs something more fun and interesting. It's just missing something. Everytime I go, and I go every six months or so, I think what a waste of time. Now understand, I ma not one for not agreeing with change. In fact, I think change is a good thing. In this case I think the whole park needs a major change. I think we may run over and go on a couple of quick attractions in May, then skip the rest. In and out this trip...1 to 2 hours tops...next.