PDA

View Full Version : Why still a submarine ride at DL but not at WDW?

dntccc
04-04-2007, 04:46 PM
I have read all the reasons given for why WDW did away with the 20K ride. I am curious, however, why there is still a submarine ride at DL. It would seem that some of the reasons for 20K's demise at WDW - slow loading, problem loading guests with disabilities, expensive maintenance, etc. - would also apply to the submarine ride at DL. I have never been to DL, however, so I do not know first hand what the sub ride is like there. For those that have been on that ride, what are/were the differences from it and 20K? Was/is the lagoon not as large, and, therefore, there was/is less water to constantly filter and keep clean? Was/is the ride faster loading than 20K? Do guests with disabilities have easier access to the ride than they did with 20K? Did these problems exist for the ride at DL and have been resolved now with the ride being changed to a Nemo themed ride?

DNS
04-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I had no idea the ride was still going at DL. I think they closed the one at WDW about a year before we started going. I'll be curious why it is still going at DL too.

JPL
04-04-2007, 05:27 PM
The official reason given by Disney was a problem with the lagoon itself that was causing problems in the Utilidors under the park. They needed to drain the lagoon to fix the problem however couldn't due to the structural concerns. Finally they came up with a solution and it meant removing the lagoon all together.

Kristi Kay
04-04-2007, 07:09 PM
I loved the submarie ride!! I heard that DL's is Nemo themed now, I don't know if thats true, but I would love to ride it!

Tick-Tock
04-04-2007, 07:40 PM
The new Nemo-themed sub ride at DL is still under construction. It's scheduled to open in June.

LudwigVonDrake
04-04-2007, 10:35 PM
The reason? Two words: John Lasseter :mickey:

JPL
04-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Can't credit Lasseter for this one it was in the works before he came on board

AliceinDisney
04-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I can understand why they shut the ride down to be honest, it was very difficult to get into the ride itself. There were these slight stairs, and the narrowness made it difficult for even someone with out a disablity able to load into it. I remember the year it closed, I was there at the park and I asked an attendant the reason for its closure. She simply told me this interesting piece of information; There was to be a "Little Mermaid" ride in place of 20,000 Leagues, because a lot of the kids of the generation of now, didn't know or identify with that older film, and due to the popularity of "Little Mermaid" Disney thought it would be an intriguing concept to make a ride there. But she told me that unfortunately, the idea was scrapped because of inability to make it work, maintenance costs to the lagoon, and trying to figure out a way that it would flow. So the idea was gotten rid of.

I see how the idea would be a difficult one to piece together and incorporate the fantasy of Little Mermaid.

LoriMistress
04-04-2007, 11:46 PM
The reason why DL has the ride and WDW doesn't is because the Submarine Voyage ride is holding up the Matterhorn (since the ride is literally sinking.) The Matterhorn was originally going to be a temporary ride, but they decided to keep it over the years. For more information check this out.

http://yesterland.com/submarine.html

Frog
04-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Where was the Sub ride located at WDW?
(I need a visual!!)

GrumpyFan
04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Where was the Sub ride located at WDW?
(I need a visual!!)

It was in Fantasyland in the area where Pooh's Playful Spot is now.

LudwigVonDrake
04-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Can't credit Lasseter for this one it was in the works before he came on board

Yeah, but he got involved and pumped more money into it and "tweaked" it. Disneyland is going to benefit BIG-TIME from Lasseter being in charge :mickey:

mcjaco
04-05-2007, 04:32 PM
The reason why DL has the ride and WDW doesn't is because the Submarine Voyage ride is holding up the Matterhorn (since the ride is literally sinking.) The Matterhorn was originally going to be a temporary ride, but they decided to keep it over the years. For more information check this out.

http://yesterland.com/submarine.html

I see nothing about Matterhorn being temporary. I'm pretty sure Walt wanted Matterhorn there for good.

Mufasa
04-07-2007, 02:07 PM
The reason why DL has the ride and WDW doesn't is because the Submarine Voyage ride is holding up the Matterhorn (since the ride is literally sinking.) The Matterhorn was originally going to be a temporary ride, but they decided to keep it over the years.

The Matterhorn is not sinking (and the Submarine Voyage lagoon is not helping to keep it up)- it was a long running urban legend that the sub lagoon had to remain filled and could never be drained because the water in the lagoon is exerting pressure to keep the Matterhorn stable.

Sorry, but the physics don't even work out (the amount of water in the lagoon does not provide the level of pressure against the lagoon walls to make any noticable effect and certainly not enough to hold up the Matterhorn).

Now, what is true about the Submarine Voyage (at least the hidden show building) is that the roof of the show building provides a significant supporting base area for parts of Autopia, parts of the Monorail and old PeopleMover track that would be very cost prohibitive to change. To remove the show building would require rebuilding a good section of the northern portion of Tomorrowland.