PDA

View Full Version : leagues and other stuff gone by...

Frog
04-04-2007, 04:27 PM
I was reading the "do you remember" thread, thinking back to my first trip to DL (yes, I remember "E" tickets too!). I then started thinking about some of the things we did that were not at WDW...
Like the 2000 leagues ride? Anyone remember that one? How about the conoe rides to Tom Sawyer Island? Why and how does DW decide to "out" a ride? Leagues was cheesy, but I still loved it as a kid!

Figgyluv03
04-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I miss the way DW use to be. Don't get me wrong, I love all the new stuff, but they should bring back some of the classics. No offense, I can live with 2000 leagues. I'm deathly afraid of Submarines of any kind!

battle beast
04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't know. I think the Nemo ride will be a good update to the 20,000 leagues ride. (But it's taking way too long...)

The only ride I miss is maybe the Circle vision, but then again, they replaced it with Buzz Light Years Astro Blasters, which is one of my favorites.

AliceinDisney
04-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I can answer those questions regarding 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea for you. We had a post referencing it below. Anyway, It was very high cost/maitnenance to maintain yes, but I think the bigger issue lay in the boarding issues. If you had disabilites it was very difficult to access this ride. I remember it always being popular in the eighties, and people lining up a long time for it. My parents used to groan when I begged to go on because they thought it was horrifically cheesy. I think the lack of special effects that were modern was another reason for its closure. But to be fair, there has never been a ride quite like "Submarine Voyage" in Disneyland-20,000 Leagues WDW, anywhere in the world at any amusement park. Its refreshing to know they're bringing it back with the introduction to "Finding Nemo" which is going to use camera technology as opposed fish on string that you can actually see.

I was mentioning before in our previous thread, that I spoke to a cast member back the year they decided to close 20,000 for good, and her response to me was that they were in talks to create a "Little Mermaid " ride, but that idea got scrapped because the ideas didn't flow quite the way they wanted them to. I still would have preferred to see a Little Mermaid ride over Finding Nemo. Plus, back then they didn't have the technology that we do now with computers. Also, When Atlantis was set to release in theatres, they proposed a ride based on that as well, but again that idea got axed due to the fact the film was poorly recieved.

I hope that clears up a couple questions!

mcjaco
04-05-2007, 04:08 PM
^ I echo most of what was said above. 20,000, was a nightmare on maintenance. I believe that most of the problems had to deal with keeping the water clear enough for you to see.

It was also horrendous for loading/unloading operations, which is why the line was always long.

The Nemo ride looks good from what I saw at DLR las month. I think it will be a fine addition to Tomorrowland, and it still keeps the lagoon.

dntccc
04-05-2007, 04:42 PM
^ I echo most of what was said above. 20,000, was a nightmare on maintenance. I believe that most of the problems had to deal with keeping the water clear enough for you to see.

It was also horrendous for loading/unloading operations, which is why the line was always long.

The Nemo ride looks good from what I saw at DLR las month. I think it will be a fine addition to Tomorrowland, and it still keeps the lagoon.

Will it be easier for DL to keep the lagoon clean for the Nemo ride than it was for WDW to keep the 20K lagoon clean? As for the loading of passengers, since I assume that the Nemo submarine ride will still entail boarding the submarines like the previous ride, how will it not be slow loading like 20K?

AliceinDisney
04-05-2007, 08:32 PM
This still remains to be seen on what such improvements it will make as far as people with disabilties being able to load it. I think they recycled the former subs from the previous "Submarine Voyage", if they've got a better loading zone now, which we'll hope that they do, then the ride will have much better fllow to it. I see this riding requiring Fast Pass however, because I picture the line ups being brutal.