PDA

View Full Version : What happens when Theme parks reach Capacity r/o

AliceinDisney
04-04-2007, 03:02 PM
I was wondering this from the other post, what happens when Disney parks reach capacity? Does Disney honour the tickets if you've previously purchased them? Is there a way to avoid coming when its over capacitated? Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with this, or experienced this? Thanks :)

faline
04-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Parks close in stages.
1. Anyone who doesn't have a ticket will not be allowed past the parking booth.
2. Only resort guests, annual passholders and park-hoppers (from another park) as well as those using resort transportation or taxi transportation are allowed in.
3. Only resort guests using Disney transportation, annual passholders, Shades of Green guests and Downtown Disney resort guests using provided transportation are admitted.
4. Park is closed to everyone.

One park reaching capacity does not mean that all 4 have reached capacity and it might be possible to go to one of the other parks.

Generally, park capacity is only reached on very busy days such at New Year's Eve, Christmas Day and/or July 4th.

Roo Girl
04-04-2007, 03:24 PM
I was in Epcot this past New Year's Eve and all 4 parks reached capacity by mid-morning. Epcot a bit later than the rest because a nice CM told me that Epcot's capacity was in the ballpark of 110,000. Yes, you read that correctly. Epcot handled the crowd wonderfully to their credit. The park doesn't just CLOSE all at once, it closes in 4 phases. Something like resort guests, then season passholders, then some other criteria and then something else...someone will come along w/the phases I'm sure. We were resort guests and annual passholders so we knew we were in! The best way to avoid being left out in the cold is to get to the park of your choice ASAP and park yourself there- if you leave to take a nap at your resort, you are NOT guaranteed return access. If you look at your ticket (the fine print) it very well states that Disney doesn't guarantee access blah blah blah and that's their get out of jail free card. Capacity doesn't happen as often as you might think, and there are 4 parks to choose from should that be an issue. No worries!

DizneyRox
04-04-2007, 06:06 PM
I was wondering this from the other post, what happens when Disney parks reach capacity? Does Disney honour the tickets if you've previously purchased them? Is there a way to avoid coming when its over capacitated? Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with this, or experienced this? Thanks :)
Capacity is determined by open attractions, etc. It is a hard limit that cannot be exceeded legally. I'm sure there are fines possible as well as liability if something does happen.

Because of this, if the park is full, you will not be allowed in until the crowds dwindle.

I've been in the parks when they reach capacity. The only park you want to be in when that happens is Epcot.

There is no refund if you can't get into a park on a particular day. I would advise NOT leaving a park and expecting to get back in either. There is one excuse that I know of to leave and you will be premitted back in, and that's to walk your dog at the kennels. I'm sure you must produce some sort of ticket or other evidence as well.

breezysmom
04-04-2007, 06:29 PM
I was at MK one year for Christmas and the park was at capacity and even for the Disney freak that I am I would never want to do that again....It was AWFUL!!!!! You could not move around and I was scared one of my kids would be inhaled by the crowd never to be seen again....:mickey:

AliceinDisney
04-04-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm sure the parks getting over capacitated is not an everyday thing though, mainly at holidays? What's August like or late July? Super congested?

Rick Blaine
04-04-2007, 07:28 PM
...There is no refund if you can't get into a park on a particular day. I would advise NOT leaving a park and expecting to get back in either. There is one excuse that I know of to leave and you will be premitted back in, and that's to walk your dog at the kennels. I'm sure you must produce some sort of ticket or other evidence as well.

I have been wondering about this. If you are in a park and then leave and then the park fills up, If you do not have a parkhopper, will they let you into another park?

AliceinDisney
04-04-2007, 11:56 PM
From what everyone was saying, and from my new realm of understanding. It takes a few stages before the actual park shuts down due to being over capacitated. I think if you're staying at a resort , are a timeshare holder, or have a park hopper you're allowed in. I think there are some exceptions. Or they tell you to come back at a time when its not as busy.

For example, I think that from what everyone's saying is that in the rare occurances, when the park has been over-capacitated, people were allowed into EPCOT, and apparently it takes a lot for that park to become full. I think the eventuality of not being able to get into "any" of the parks, is quite slim. That doesn't mean to say that it doesn't happen. I thought it seemed unlikely myself. I think the times to be concerned with mostly are holidays, but from what everyone is saying the summer is brutal, especially if you want to go to the waterparks, which to be honest, I don't have a great desire torward anyway ! I don't really care for slides!

AliceinDisney
04-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Actually I do remember one year when I was at MK at Christmas, years ago, and it was dead! it was right after Christmas, and you could walk on any ride! No one was there literally! It was so cold we had on winter jackets ! I'm not even kidding. Even the characters like Alice had on the long sleeved dresses etc.

DizneyRox
04-05-2007, 12:04 AM
I have been wondering about this. If you are in a park and then leave and then the park fills up, If you do not have a parkhopper, will they let you into another park?
No, that would require park hopping.

If you want/need to be in a park for some reason, your best bet is to get there early and stay until you don't want to come back.

I've been in Epcot when it reached capacity by 11:00am. Epcot DOES reach capacity, it just holds crowds well, meaning when it's at capacity, it's not as brutal as some of the other parks. There is still lots of room to move around. I've been in Magic Kingdom and left becuase it was too crowded and it WAS NOT at capacity. MK does not hold crowds well.

AliceinDisney
04-05-2007, 12:16 AM
I think its due to the fact, that its congested. Everything is close together. Nothing is wide apart like EPCOT and Animal Kingdom. I had a heck of a time walking around EPCOT what a workout! But seriously, I really want to know what the crowds are like late July/early August.