PDA

View Full Version : Ever ride Space Mtn with the lights on?

Dyanna
04-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Has anyone ever ridden SM with the lights on & what was the reason for this. Did it ruin the experience?

Figgyluv03
04-04-2007, 12:07 PM
We had a cast member night in MK back in 2001 for the release of the new parade and they had the lights turned on in Space Mountian and were letting the CMs ride it. We got there right before the parade started, so I didnt' get a chance to ride it. :mad: I don't think it would have ruined my experience as much as other things I have seen as a CM.

magicman
04-04-2007, 12:26 PM
On my first visit to WDW ~20 years ago, the lights came on in the middle of the ride (I believe they were having trouble with the tracks on the side that we weren't on). The ride instantly became a tame & unimpressive roller coaster.

Long-term, the ride/roller coaster itself didn't lose its luster. It was fun again the next time I rode it with the lights off, but the illusion of the immensity of space has been lost forever because the ceiling & building now seem much smaller & close-in than before "the lights came on"...wow...that sounds deep;) .

AwPhooey
04-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Two or three trips ago, we were going up the main lift and the lights came on because someone was slow boarding/unboarding which meant there were too many cars in the loading/unloading area.

They took care of the problem and let us ride once with the lights on and again with the lights off. While the coaster is overall more tame with the lights on, it was kind of scary realizing how close you get to some of the beams/poles when riding. Since then, I no longer raise my arms in the air while riding coasters.

disneymom15
04-04-2007, 12:36 PM
We were on the TTA once when the lights were on. Before that, I was afraid to go on SM, as soon as I saw that, I thought, I can do that. Since then, I ride it every chance I get. I love it!

Niecyboo
04-04-2007, 01:09 PM
I've seen the WDW Space Mountain with the lights on while they were fixing it, but we never got to ride it that trip for that reason. I have also seen the Disneyland SM with the lights on, and once when it stopped while we were on it they turned them on until they got it going again.

By the way, the WDW one did seem much more complex, but there was a 10 year span between the two, so maybe that's just my imagination.

jray21
04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
As A cast member I was able to ride it a few times with the lights on. I have to agree with the others that it is too tame and not really exciting with the lights on but it doesn't ruin the experience when you ride again with the lights off. I also noticed how close the beams are to the vehicles. I never raise my hands anymore. :D

Victor Kelly
04-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Been through it plenty of time on the TTA with the lights on. Never rode it though with the lights on.

The things looks like a grey spagetti monster.

mrsgaribaldi
04-04-2007, 03:45 PM
I've also seen it from the TTA with the lights on. Never when I rode it though:mickey:

Makusu
04-04-2007, 08:38 PM
It seems just about every trip we've been on the lights are on at SOME point while we're on TTA. It was down for a whole day before! :mad:

But...I got some great pictures :thumbsup:

alicia524luvstw
04-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Yes, last time I was on it. Looks very tame w/the lights on

Figgyluv03
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I found a video on YouTube that has the lights on!!! I just did a search for Space Mountain!

celestesmommie
04-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I Have ridden a few times with the lights on because we have gotten stuck on the main lift. It did ruin it for a while but we got over it. Unfortunately for my DD her first time was ith the lights on

kjunea
04-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi! First post, but have been lurking for a while.

As a teacher, I've taken several trips with school groups to Disney. When we would do the YES "Physics is Fun" program, you would ride SM with the lights on then go back and ride it with the lights off and compare the two.

(I've also been behind the scenes of the Haunted Mansion and know how it works too!)

DisneyGiant
04-06-2007, 07:30 AM
I didn't think it was tame at all. In the middle of the ride - the lights came on due to a malfunction. One car got stuck way up high and it couldn't move. Those tracks are so close together - I was ducking because I had the illusion that my head was going to be chopped off if I didn't!

Good thing we got our ride in - it was closed for hours after that so it could be repaired. And those poor people stuck had to get rescued!

4ubie1
04-06-2007, 09:19 AM
I got to once and i have to admit it was weird riding Space Mt "in the light". But at the same time, i got to see what it was all made up of..you know..got a new perspective on the ride. I spent most of that ride looking around taking it all in rather than focusing on the :coaster: sensation. I don't think it took anything away from the ride. It was still definately fun...it just gave me a new side of it :D

tommymac5
04-06-2007, 09:30 AM
:mickey: Rode with the lights on after a 1/2 hour breakdown in 04/2005. I'm 6'3'' and my legs killed me after sitting in ride vehicle for so long. The ride experience is much tamer. You can see turns and hills and know when to expect what movement. It did not however ruin future rides.

magicman
04-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi! First post, but have been lurking for a while.

As a teacher, I've taken several trips with school groups to Disney. When we would do the YES "Physics is Fun" program, you would ride SM with the lights on then go back and ride it with the lights off and compare the two.

(I've also been behind the scenes of the Haunted Mansion and know how it works too!)

Welcome to INTERCOT.

I wish I had had you as my teacher when I was in school. Going to WDW on field trips is quite a step up from my field trips to the local salami factory and the neighborhood piggly wiggly.

Jeff G
04-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I too have never been on the ride itself with the lights on but I've been on the TTA a couple times when the lights are on. After seeing it on the TTA with the lights on we went on the ride a short bit later with the lights off and it was stll fun.

It amazes me is how simple of a ride it is and how raw it looks with the lights on and then switch the lights off and it's a classic.

MsMin
04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
We've had the lights come on several times but only briefly. I agree it does seem like the tracks and supporting structures are very close. I get that feeling like when I duck to go under a bar in my car at the parking garage:blush:
It's never spoiled it for me. The first time I saw the lights on was probably back in summer of 76. I did have pics of it. :photo:

dumbo ears
04-06-2007, 01:20 PM
i haven't rode it with the lights on and i think if i did it wouldn't be that great.:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
04-06-2007, 10:51 PM
I have seen it with the lights on from the TTA but I've never ridden it with the lights on :coaster: