PDA

View Full Version : EEEK!!! I just got laid off!

chadWDW
04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Well, I went into work this morning at 7:30 and was home by 8:30 :funny: They are restructuring the department and don't need me anymore. It's scary but at the same time I feel reborn because I have been miserable there everyday for the last two years (the whole time I've worked there). The job was in Finance and I have my degree in Public Relations so it wasn't a good fit from the start. I'm just a little angry because my manager, who I've been close with, didn't really even talk to me about it. Just told me and walked me out. Oh well, one door closes another opens. I did the college program back in 02 and still have friends in Orlando, maybe it's time to head back down for a fresh start. Just have to stay positive!! :number1:

DizNee143
04-04-2007, 09:45 AM
im sorry this happened!! but its seems like it was a good thing rather than a bad thing for you!! i hope you find something your more happy doing!! :)

Christine
04-04-2007, 10:08 AM
I hope this turns out to be a blessing in disguise!

Best of luck to you!

Marker
04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
I totally understand your feeling that it may actually be for the best. We've faced reorgs, down sizing, off shoring, rebadging to another company(IBM), and then rebadging back, and what appear to be random layoffs for like 5 years. It's really, really, tiresome. Most recently, we were offered 3 separate time a voluntary separation package or 2 weeks per year of service. That would have been like 24 weeks of pay they were offering me leave, AND I DIDN'T (still haven't quite figured out why).

I do wish you luck, and hope it works out.

Caroleh
04-04-2007, 10:40 AM
I hope this turns out to be a blessing in disguise!

Best of luck to you!

I agree!!! Best of luck and make the most out of this.

Nascfan
04-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry for the loss of your job, but you have a really good attitude about it. Hopefully this will work out for the best and you can get something you really like!

MsMin
04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
This does sound like a blessing. Hope you find a job that suits you better. It's tough to be in a job that brings you down. :pixie: for your job search.

DVC2004
04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
It never feels good when this happens (happened to me last year, too) but maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Good luck on the job hunt and take it one day at a time!

disneydrmr
04-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I had a similar experience. I went to work one morning.. saw everyone packing up their desks... my supervisor came out of his office and told me to pack up, the company had gone bankrupt. They had some cops there watching the doors and everything. Was a horrible shock, but I did recover and land on my feet, and judging from your attitude - I KNOW you will land on your feet also! Good luck to you!

Cinderelley
04-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Well, the least they could have done was told you yesterday at the end of the work day, so that you could sleep in this morning. :D

Best of luck to you in finding a job you really enjoy.

mrsgaribaldi
04-04-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm so sorry. It sounds like you have a really good attitude about it though. Good luck to you. I'm sure you will land on your feet:thumbsup: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: so you get something soon, something that you love.

Dsnygirl
04-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Wow - you just never know what a day will bring, do you?? But in your case, it sounds like it was (or will be) a good thing - hard to stay somewhere where you're miserable!! At least they made the decision for you! :thumbsup: Sounds like you've got a great perspective on the whole thing - good luck as you look into new jobs/paths - here's some :pixie: :pixie: to help you along!!

drummerboy
04-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Looks like you've been "Dilbertized". Whenever management can't figure out why their own idiocy is causing a problem, they just get rid of a few workers and figure it'll be all right after that.

Glad your attitude will land you on your feet.

JMTStone
04-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I believe in Karma. Good things will come to you because you seem to have a great attitude. I wish there were people like you at my work!

caryrae
04-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Maybe they need some people with a PR degree somewhere in WDW, lord knows there's plenty of public there.:mickey:

January-2007
04-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Wow, your attitude about this is really amazing. I know you will be better off from this in the end- you didn't like your job, and now you've got that little push to point you in another direction, any other direction than where you were. Good luck to you. Maybe you will end up in Orlando, maybe you will end up with an amazing job that will send you there on business trips, either way, keep the optimism, it's great.:thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
04-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Wow, sorry about you losing your job. But Kuddos to your positive attitude! Hopefully you'll be employed again in no time!

Melanie
04-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I remember that you've been wanting to leave W-S for awhile. Maybe this is your chance?

Carol
04-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Keep that positive attitude and I'm sure everything will work out fine. Best of Luck. :)

murphy1
04-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi Chad, okay this is so weird, I have a degree in PR and Journalism from USF, I was a top grad in my field. First I had to do temp work (in the early 1990's, bad graduating time, NO jobs) and then I got laid off from my very first job out of school working in desktop publishing. I then got a job in medical marketing, the hospital was making cuts so I went on to work for an insurance co. as a marketing rep. I got stolen away after two years by two different co. b/c they liked me and knew of me in the industry. You just never know where you will end up. I am a sahm and I do freelance sewing and clothing/costume design now but I am planning on going on to nursing school (AS degree) after I get some medical stuff taken care of. I would just tell you to see what interests you and definitely if you want to go back to Disney, you have already worked there, get down there and go to casting and just talk to them. You might walk out with a job! The most important thing with Disney (my Aunt works there) is to get in, as you probably know, since they do most of their promoting from within. You don't have any ties right now, so it might be a great time to go anyway. Above all, do not blame yourself and do not let others get to you who don't understand, I think layoffs are just the norm now. My dh is a top grad from Ga Tech in engineering and has also been through it twice. One sad thing, I have lost my ability to be loyal to a company, it will take me some time to get it back whoever I work for b/c of what happened. Good luck!!

Jasper
04-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I am sorry for your job loss, but keep up the positive attitude. As the saying goes, it is always darkest before the dawn.

In addition to keeping your positive attitude, you need to make sure you go about making your job search a full time job just like going into your office was before.

DisneyorBust
04-06-2007, 08:30 PM
I just want to wish you the best of luck and stay positive! It has worked for me!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-06-2007, 11:50 PM
The same thing happened to me last year. If I had know how quickly I was going to find a job, I would have taken some of my severance pay and gone to Disney World.
I think you should go to Central Casting and see if you can get a job at the World.
Good luck and keep up the great attitude.

Disney Babe
04-07-2007, 09:40 PM
I just know that better things are ahead for you. Finance has got to be so boring next to PR. You were meant for more exciting things!

daparish
04-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Just wanted to wish you luck as you search for your new job.

The Bookseller
04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I never thought that I would type this but:

:joy: :joy:Congratulations for losing your job!:joy: :joy:

Here's some :pixie: :pixie: in the hope that the next job is right over the next corner.

PrincessCandaceMarie
04-13-2007, 01:05 PM
This happened to me too, the first time I knew about it since the entire company was headed back to Los Angeles and couldn't take all 4500 of us (but we got an amazing package) but the second time it happened just like it did to you, and both were HUGE Fortune 500 corporations.....and yes you have to stay positive, don't take it personally, its a professional decision and everything happens for a reason; it's a path you're on and you don't know why but just find the good in this and see what can happen.....