View Full Version : What are the odds???
04-04-2007, 07:51 AM
We already have a vacation booked for September & we are also looking into buying DVC. My husband would rather sit down & handle the purchase in person while we are there instead of buying in ahead of time through the mail.
Right now there is a special for AKV for $96/point. How long do these specials usually last? Is there any chance of this DVC selling out before September?
04-04-2007, 08:01 AM
We actually just purchased the DVC through the mail. It was very easy and simple. The specials seem to change every so often. For example right now DVC members can buy additional points at AKL for a discount until June 4th. We actually were in the same boat as you and wanted to return to Disney for a vacation, but we didn't want to spend our money paying Disney for the room when we could put it towards our DVC down payment instead. As soon as we gave our deposit over the phone to our guide, we were able to make our first revervation for June:) Our guide was great.
It might be worth looking into whether you could change your out of pocket reservation over to DVC if you bought now. Even if you couldn't stay at Animal Kingdom, you could stay at Saratoga or Old Key West probably without a problem and then have all that extra cash for Dining Plan or Annual Passes....Once I explained all of those things to my husband he didn't want to wait. We purchased last month and will be making our first DVC trip in june:party:
04-04-2007, 08:43 AM
I have no idea how long the current special incentives will last, but there is absolutely NO CHANCE that the AKV will be totally sold out by September.
It will almost surely take several years.
It is going to be quite a large DVC resort - the main portion of the resort won't even open until sometime in 2009. Only a portion of the total DVC resort villas will be available for occupancy this fall. Those are the remodeld AKL rooms.
If you think you are that interested, you may want to think about doing some heavy research now and make your decision before your trip. If you are leaning toward buying, I can almost guarantee you will buy after doing the tour. My thought is that rather than drop $$$ on the present trip you could use that money towards a downpayment on DVC and do the trip on DVC points. I was very interested in DVC but wanted to do the tour before buying -we did it while renting points at BWV, but the $1500 I spent would have been better off towards the DVC purchase -we bought in anyway! Either way good luck.
04-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I bought on our last trip. Our 4 night trip at the Concierge Boardwalk level with dining plan and 5 day tickets was close to $2800. If you are going anyway why not buy in ahead of time. You have to make a 10% down payment. Depending on how many points you are buying, the price of your room for the September trip could be your down payment. Watch the DVD and talk to a DVC guide by phone. I bought onsite but have watched the DVD too. The DVD has all the information you will need. I would just do it soon and realize you are probably only going to get SSR or OKW 6 months out, but it should save you money.
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.